It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

Callista HB User
Exercise for Big Girls?

I'm female, 5 feet tall, 200 lb. I want to weigh 150. I don't mind so much being fat; what I mind the most is being easily exhausted, having low flexibility because the extra fat gets in the way, being unable to run a mile because I have to slow down a quarter of the way into it... I feel like such a wuss.

The only benefit I get from being big is that I can move furniture around, carry stuff, slam myself into things to get them to budge... little skinny girls can't do any of that. I want to get in shape, so I'll be able to do the stuff I want to do.

But exercising with half of me jiggling around is just so annoying!! And exercise is seriously boring; and I can't invest any money because I'm unemployed...

I want to find a type of exercise that:
1. Has a low "jiggle factor"
2. Is interesting enough so I keep it up--preferably has some goal other than exercise itself (I like yardwork, for example, but my tiny yard takes 1/2 hour a week)
3. Will get me into shape--strength, endurance, flexibility.
4. Doesn't take any money.

There's got to be some suggestions out there... people more experienced than me in this area. Help?

Old 06-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

dammie HB User
Re: Exercise for Big Girls?

Clean the house. There will always be something to clean, believe it or not house chores burn calories, and you're house will be spick and span.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Callista,

One possibility is to get a couple of stretch bands. They don't cost much and they don't take up much space. I loop a long one (6 ft or 2 m) on a doorknob so that half hangs down on each side and every once in a while I remember to do some upper-body shoulder exercises with them. If you sit in a chair and grab the ends of the stretch bands, you can do several things with them. You can swing your arms to the sides or downward or upward. Each direction uses different muscles. There may be a book or two in the library that will give you some other tips.

Find places to walk to, rather than drive. Or walk to a farther bus stop. Or get to a large shopping mall and do brisk walks around the main shopping lanes (don't bring your pocketbook or it'll wind up being pretty expensive!). There are groups that actually meet regularly before the mall opens to do their brisk walks.

If your unemployment means that you have some free time, you might consider donating time to an organization. Maybe some organization needs help moving boxes of goods (like the Salvation Army or Goodwill), and you can throw some energy into your work to improve your flexibility and strength. Or maybe the local animal shelter needs some help mucking out the cages.

Good for you for trying to make a difference in your life. There are lots of things that we can all do that don't cost anything (or very little). I love reading these posts because it reminds me that I can do something besides sit in front of the computer. I just used the stretch band that is permanently hanging from the back of the living room door -- because I thought of you and other posters who are actually trying to do something with a little movement! Thanks for the reminder!

--Rheanna

Old 06-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
(male)

adavis HB User

check in to an exercise ball, they are inexpensive and with one of those and a couple soup cans you can work every muscle in your body and it doesn't take up much space.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Do a series of exercises. Write down how many of each youy can do. Then 2 days later do the same exercises but try to get one more of each. Keep doing this & you will see an increase in the numbe each week.

Try doing without sugar, white bread, white pasta, white rice, & white potatoes. Eat more high protien foods & veggies.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
(female)

Callista HB User

Okay, so today it was unusually cool for summer. I tried going out on my bike, heading for a nearby city... I only made it eight miles before I had to stop and get a ride back. When it's hotter, I doubt I'll make it three miles. Exercising is no good if it makes me miserable--I'll never keep it up in the summer heat. But I need to keep it in mind for when the fall starts--biking for transportation could be a good way to gain a bit of endurance. Maybe I'll even splurge on one of those big, spongy seats (made for big, spongy butts--hehe!).

There's a cat shelter nearby--I worked for them last winter when I was bored. Each volunteer works four hours a week cleaning out rooms; and as a bonus, you get to cuddle the cats afterwards (well, the cats that like to be cuddled, anyway, because if you tried it on the non-cuddly ones, you'd probably get claws in the face, and deserve 'em, too, for being so rude). They're two miles away--I can ride that far even in the heat, I think, if I make sure to be properly hydrated. Thankfully I love iced tea so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

(If I were richer, I'd be drinking diet soda constantly--I love the caffeine kick and the way you don't have to brush your teeth afterwards. But I'm poor, so it's iced tea.)

The real problem with the cat shelter is that I had a bit of a misunderstanding with the owners, and I'm not sure what they'd say about my coming back. They never asked me to leave; I just got so embarassed that I stopped coming.

Cleaning the house... Well, it's a three-room apartment; so there's limited cleaning to do. Still, it's something.

I'm actually rather fond of veggies and whole-wheat stuff. My family's German, and I've always liked bread with actual substance to it--rye and wheat and seven-grain--rather than the air-filled Wonder Bread type of stuff. Of course, that has way more calories per slice; but honestly, I'll take an extra pound or two in exchange for the health and the good taste... In my opinion, good bread should be something you can eat with nothing but butter, and still taste good. The white bread they sell in the grocery store doesn't have any flavor at all. You might as well be eating cotton.

Uh, yeah. That was a rant... Hehe.

I have a serious weakness for cheese, milk, and meat--especially chicken, hamburgers, and tuna. And of course, being a woman, I crave chocolate at certain times of the month (I also crave spinach, which is better for me but doesn't replace the chocolate!)... Those are my worst "sins" as far as diet is concerned. I think the milk craving might mean I need calcium--I'm taking a multivitamin, of course, but I didn't get milk a lot growing up, and maybe my body's trying to make up for lost time. I've never had a broken bone, though.

My main problem doesn't seem to be not eating nutritious food; it just seems to be that I like food too much, and I'm a stress eater... I'm getting over the "food=comfort" thing, but I still eat out of boredom.... I just eat too much, period. Habits die hard.

Maybe the solution for me isn't formal "exercise" per se, but just a more active lifestyle?... At my size--just on the "obesity" line--I can probably be pretty healthy, if I'm active and my blood pressure and cholesterol stay down... right?

Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User

I invested in a Gazelle. It is well worth the money. Plus it is low impact. I also have comcast on demand and they have a great fittness channel. I started out by doing excersises made for kids, now I am at the big girl programs...lol. I also use an excersise ball for squats and situps. Good luck to you!

Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callista View Post
Maybe the solution for me isn't formal "exercise" per se, but just a more active lifestyle?... At my size--just on the "obesity" line--I can probably be pretty healthy, if I'm active and my blood pressure and cholesterol stay down... right?
Callista,

I agree that frequent activity over the course of every day is more important than intense exercise at the gym. I am trying to remind myself that there are lots of other things do do besides sitting-down ones. I can easily sit and read, sit and surf the internet, sit and do crossword puzzles, sit and chat with friends. But while all those things are fun and at least some of them keep my mind active, none of those activities do anything for my body -- keeping my joints loose, keeping my muscles active, keeping my heart rate up.

You're doing fine by trying to do different things than what you've been doing so far. I thought of you and went outside and pulled a few weeds this morning. Good topic!

--Rheanna

Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
(female)

Callista HB User

I think I have another idea myself, having to do with my current unemployment.

If I get a physically active job, I won't even have to worry about exercise at all.

And since I'm a college student, and don't have a degree yet, that means I'll be looking for entry-level, semiskilled work; and a lot of that is physically active. In fact, my interview tomorrow is for a job at Goodwill, sorting clothes--which will be moderately active, if I get it.

Keep fingers crossed!!

I'm gonna start a new thread on job interviews...

Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
(female)

pretty2121 HB User

in my opinon all girls different shapes and sizes can do the same exercises as skinny girls

Old 07-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #11
(female)

Callista HB User

Yeah, for the most part that's true. Before you get in shape you need to do it slower, but all in all, you can do about the same sort of exercise.

It's just that, when you're big, you've got these extra problems--extra weight to swing around when you move, less endurance, more weight on your joints. So you need to adjust it a bit.

The last factor is psychological. When you're big, you're probably not used to exercising (or, at least, not at first). So it's harder to get started and harder to keep going. The choice of exercise for someone above the obesity threshold should reflect that--the easier it is to start and keep up, the better it is for someone who isn't used to exercising, and for whom it's harder.

An obese person can get into shape, though. From what I've read, if you're fat and you exercise, you usually start to get into shape (and thus become healthy) long before you're actually in the normal weight range--or even if you never enter that range.

Fat and skinny people can both do the same exercises, but there are special considerations.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
(female)

Mistress26 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Exercise for Big Girls?

I just wanted to mention this. I noticed you are in ohio also. I know that the YMCA offers help to get a membership - some people don't pay a thing. You could look into that, because their water aerobics are WONDERFUL!! I am a big girl, and I have knee problems and I can move and do things in the water that I couldn't think of doing on land! Also, it is a lot of fun!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
(female)

Callista HB User

Hmm, I never even considered the local YMCA; I thought it would surely be too expensive. But I'll check it out--if you're right, that could be a real boon to me.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
(female)

Claire13 HB User

Its so frustrating excercising when your overweight.

I really want to start jogging but I am scared to go out because I know what the people around here are like. The area I live in is filled with young people with annoying cars who throw things at you and shout abuse from their car windows...I know If i go jogging I will be laughed at because of my annoying big boobs which will go everywhere plus my stomach will wobble. I havent seen a fat person out jogging..if I had i might be inspired. Instead im just scared.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 AM   #15
(female)

pretty2121 HB User

i find the same thing hard to do but i feel much safer in the gym try not to let others stop you from doing what u want.At the end of the day your be the one losing weight at least your doing something about it they will see that hopefully.I felt uneasy at first but as i kept going i relaxed more cause im not the only big person at the gym.

Goodluck

Closed Thread