It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
(female)

meganree25 HB User
New & Have a few questions!

First off, let me start by introducing myself!
My name is Megan I'm 25, married with 2 children, I'm morbidly obese, depressed and struggling on finding the motivation I need to lose weight.

I wanted to start walking, so I got a dog, but my problem is - I live in an upstairs apartment and the stairs are killer on my knees, by the time i get down them I am not able to walk as far as I had planned because of the pain in my knees, then I start to get lower back pain.

I'm just finding it extremely hard on my knees!

So I guess what I needed help with is exercises I can do in the house, that are not easy but wouldn't require any equipment and wouldn't require me to jump around making noises and bugging the neighbors below. Does anyone have any advice on some exercises I could do without hurting myself?

Also, can anyone tell me about the nutrasytem diet and if it works well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

embarrased2ask HB User
Re: New & Have a few questions!

Don't know anything about nutrasystem ... but as for exercise, search the web for knee strengthening exercise. Simple, gentle things, nothing strenuous.

You could try marching in place, or even sitting and doing only the arm movements of aerobics videos. Also ... can you go down the stairs on your butt one step at a time and 'save' your knees for your walk?

Also, you may want to look for a decent pair of RUNNING shoes. Walking shoes are flatter and sometimes more stable than a running shoe, but a running shoe is designed to handle more impact and may be kinder to your knees and back than a walking shoe.

The best thing with any new exercise program is to start small and don't put unreasonable expectations on yourself. If it's too hard, you won't do it and sticking with it is the key. Don't plan to go for a long walk. Plan to get down the stairs, maybe walk for 5 minutes and then get back up the stairs. Do this for a few days or a week and try increasing your walk to 6 or7 minutes. When you are first starting consistently doing it is key. Don't worry about distance, you can increase your speed and distance later. Focus on the clock for now.

You can do it. ((hugs))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
(female)

Amy26 HB User
Re: New & Have a few questions!

I sympathize... I have degenerative joint disease in my knees and excersising kills me. I bit the bullet and ordered myself a nordic track elliptical machine. Now its in my house and I can work out at my leisure. Ellipticals are great for working out and low impact to the knees.

Good luck

Closed Thread