It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
(male)

TradeDayDan HB User
Muscle Cramping or Spasms

I'm hoping this is where I should post this. I'm about 200 pounds overweight. I'm 5'10 and I weight about 375. I know I would have less problems if I lose weight. We all know that, but it's not easy. The last time I went to a doctor about my back problems he just lectured me on losing weight. He scheduled me for an MRI, but I never had it done. He made me mad and I refused to go back to him. I've just been trying to deal with my problems and hopefully lose some weight. I think I just sprained my shoulder. I think I did it pushing myself up out of a chair. I'm hopeless. But, here is my big problem.

Recently, I've started having these cramps or spams in my belly. It's been getting more frequent over the past few months. I'll bend over to pick something up and get a cramp in the side of my belly. I have to bend and twist to get it out. The more active I am, the worse it is. I went to a concert a few months ago with some friends. We got there early and waited a couple of hours. I spent a lot of time on my feet moving around. When that happens I'll start getting the cramps in one side, and then it starts in the other side at the same time. It's kind of the same kind of cramp you might get in your leg, like a charlie horse.

The past couple of weeks it's got a lot worse. Today, all I did was get up out a chair and when I went to sit back downthe right side of my belly cramped up. It was more like a sever cramp and a muscle spasm. The muscles that were cramping were being pushed up. I had to grab my belly and push back down for a few seconds to get it to stop.

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced anything like this. I was thinking of going to the doctor, but he's just gonna say I need to lose weight or think I'm trying to get pain pills and probably won't help me. I know losing weight will help this, but what can you do right now for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Muscle Cramping or Spasms

TradeDayDan,

I start getting cramps in odd places when I'm low on magnesium. Try taking a magnesium supplement and see if the cramps go away.

--Rheanna

Old 09-23-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
(male)

TradeDayDan HB User

Thanks for the reply. I will try that after I try some Potassium pills. I've talked to everyone I know and been on message boards. Nobody seemed to have the same problem or know what I was talking about. I talked to a friend of mine last night and he said he used to have the same exact problem I'm having. Someone told him if you sweat a lot you lose potassium. Plus, my blood pressure medicine has a diuretic and makes me go to the bathroom all the time. He said he starting eating banannas to get the potassium and his cramping went away. I think I will go to the doc and have my potassium checked and ask about potassium pills. I appreciate your response. I will try the magnesium supplement if this doesn't work. I'm hopeful this is a somewhat easy fix and my cramping will go away. Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
(female)

MerelyMe HB User

I have had those cramps for YEARS...wow I thought I was the only one...I'll be driving and reach for something and BAM you have to push on the spot, bend the other way and PRAY it lets loose, I have had them so bad, it cramped for over an hour, I went to the ER and the Dr was baffled, he prescribed muscle relaxers and sent me to a surgeon thinking it may be a hernia of some sort?
My surgeon who is also overweight, said sadly it is because overweight people who tend to carry their weight mostly in their stomach area, we have very week abdominal muscles, so if we strain, like moving a lot at a concert or doing a lot of housework etc, it would be like a body builder lifting a lot of weights, the muscles that are usually not used and weak, all of the sudden have a work out and all it takes is straining the wrong way and they lock up...

his only suggestion to stop it, was mild abdominal workouts, to strengthen the muscles.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
(male)

TradeDayDan HB User

I thought I would update this in case someone is reading. I noticed this topic has several views but only 2 responses. I went to the doctor today and told him my problem and asked him about the Potassium thing. He said he would draw blood and have it checked to be sure. He wrote me a precription for Klor-Con which is Potasium Chloride. He told me to take one every other day. He wrote me a prescription for Flexaril Muscle Relaxers in case the cramps get bad like they do sometimes. I'm going to the Big Spring Jam in Huntsville this weekend to see LeAnn Rimes and other people. I'm sure to be on my feet a lot, and I'm sure the cramping will start. Hopefully the Potsassium will help me in a week or two. Maybe the muscle relaxers will help if it gets too bad. Turns out that the cramping is a side effect of my blood pressure medicine. The diuretic in it makes you lose Potassium. Sure wish I had known that a couple of years back. Wish me luck. If anyone is interested in the results, I'll post here again in 2 or 3 weeks and let you know if it's working.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

TradeDayDan,

Thanks for the update and I look forward to hearing how the potassium works for you. I eat so many bananas that my first thought was magnesium -- that's what I'm lacking when I get cramps. I can't imagine ever needing to take a potassium supplement myself.

Yes, various blood pressure meds can throw off the electrolites (magnesium, potassium, calcium). You might poke your nose into the High & Low Blood Pressure board and look at some of the threads there regarding diuretics.

And MerelyMe has a very good point as well, that I'm trying to keep in mind myself. Weak muscles cramp easily when they're asked to do the least amount of work. Sigh. There are lots of other things I'd rather be doing than exercise. But I don't enjoy cramping. Soooo...

Thanks for the discussion. Keep us posted. All those people who are reading but not posting are curious as well.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread