It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
(male)

Jacob543 HB User
I was "terminated" from my gym because of plumber's butt!

I went to workout at my gym today and when I scanned my card they said I had been terminated for "inappropriate behaivior". They said I had to talk to the manager to find out why. When I talked to him he said a couple of people complained that I had been "flashing my rear end" last time I was there. At first I had no idea what he was referring to, then I realized I had probably had an unintentional case of what my friends call "plumber's butt".

I am over 300 lbs. and about 5"9. Being this overweight I am constantly struggling with this problem. With the shape of my body, it seems no matter what I wear the crack of my behind finds a way to pop out. My family and friends tease me about it and I find it to be quite embarrassing, but I think they realize that being so heavy makes it really hard to control.

I really don't think it's fair that I got kicked out of this gym, and the guy was really demeaning towards me, talking to me like I was a sex offender or something. I am at the gym to try and lose weight so this kind of thing doesn't happen anymore! I don't ask for special treatment for being overweight, but I wish these people would at least try and understand that I have to face different struggles than they do. I'm not proud of the fact that my behind doesn't always stay in my pants, and this just kind of rubs it in my face and makes me feel like a jerk. I feel like this is almost like discrimination in a way. I can understand getting a warning, but to be kicked out and treated this way is really hurtful to me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
(female)

cherryapple HB User
Re: I was "terminated" from my gym because of plumber's butt!

Im so sorry this happened to you. That sounds really embarassing and totally unfair. Try not to let it get you discouraged to the point where you give up trying to get healty. Let it motivate you so when you reach your goal u can walk in there and all the other gym members wish you would only show your rear to them!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
(male)

bl912 HB User

That's a terrible thing to happen and frankly, I wouldn't want to belong to a gym like that anyway. Healthclubs are tough on heavy people because they feel we don't belong there. Try looking for a gym that doesn't have strictly models and muscle heads, they are out there. Also, try working out in off hours when fewer people occupy the gym. I know it stinks to have to do that, but you need to keep working out to reach goals. Try not to be discouraged and just remember health clubs are businesses, if they don't want your money, go elsewhere.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
(female)

DreamWeaver2007 HB User

Thats outrageous, you should write a letter to the owners-
Or call a news station, they should not be able to get away with that!
I'm so sorry, they did that to you!

xoxoxoxox

Old 11-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
(female)

MzLittleHonda HB User

That's digusting.... like we don't feel embarrased enough already.. i would firstly complain.. then never go back and find a better gym. They don't deserve your money!!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
(female)

Mainegirl HB User

It is discrimination and it is against the law. I would complain to the Better Business Bureau.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
(male)

Jacob543 HB User

I just want to truly thank everyone for their sympathy and support. It makes me feel a lot better to read your words.

It's true that people look at you like you don't belong when you're heavy at the gym. Even though it is discrimination, they don't claim to have kicked me out for my weight, they say it's because, as the guy put it, "your butt crack was hanging out". As I said before, I don't think he or anyone else there realizes that being so overweight means that this kind of thing is much harder to control or be aware of. I did wonder, though, if they also didn't want me there because I'm so heavy and not a good advertisement for the gym.

I've joined another gym that's cheaper anyways, and people there seem more laid back so hopefully it'll work out for me...

Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB UserPrincessSweetNS HB User

I'm really happy you joined another gym! I used to go to a gym... it was very pricey, so I wen tfo rit.....but everyone there was LITERALLY size 2 or less. I'm not kidding....so when they saw me, a size 13, they thought I was Bigfoot, i swear. I got a lot of discrimination there; since then I do a home workout regimen. But Jacob, I'm really glad you were able to find another gym to meet your needs.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
(female)

ohsnap HB User

I think being kicked out of the gym is too extreme and you should have received a verbal warning from the manager before they took this action. However the issue is not truely because you are overweight. While I agree that you should noto have been kicked out, I still think the crack hanging out thing was something that should have been stopped. I've seen thin people who wear clothing that doesn't fit and I've unfortunately had to look at their crack. People need to wear clothes that fit them and I wouldn't want to look at anyone's crack fat or thin. Just my opinion.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
(male)

Jacob543 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap View Post
I think being kicked out of the gym is too extreme and you should have received a verbal warning from the manager before they took this action. However the issue is not truely because you are overweight. While I agree that you should noto have been kicked out, I still think the crack hanging out thing was something that should have been stopped. I've seen thin people who wear clothing that doesn't fit and I've unfortunately had to look at their crack. People need to wear clothes that fit them and I wouldn't want to look at anyone's crack fat or thin. Just my opinion.
I completely agree with you...and I would have been ok with a warning. It's just that being this overweight, trying to use the eliptical machine, I was totally unaware of the plumbers butt...and I think you can agree that it is harder to "manage" and be fully aware of your body when you are severely overweight. If he had taken me aside, told me what the problem was, and given me a chance to fix it, I wouldve totally understood...But he didn't even try and recognize that maybe my weight makes this kind of thing more of a struggle and instead just looked at me like I was some kind of terrible person who didnt belong there

Old 12-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Maybe try some girl stretchy pants to prevent this in the future, you can get some plus sizes that are made for our bums, and might be able to hold up on you, and still be comfortable, I bet if you get black or blue, no one will ever know but you.
I know when I see plumbers butt on a friend, its funny, but when it is a stranger, I get a bit grossed out, no matter what size you are. I don’t know why that is, but I don’t think I would complain I would rather tell you first before I felt I ever had to complain. Sorry that happened but I guess they didn’t have the confidence to warn you before you were banned. And that’s a shame when you get banned and you have no idea why. They should have given you at least a written warning. I would look at ways of having them accountable for THEIR behavior.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
(female)

SuperGirl03 HB User

I'm really sorry you had to go through this. I would at least think they would sit down and talk to you and give you a "warning" first, before they just go ahead and decide on termination. You're trying to help yourself, and it's obviously not intentional. I would suggest writing them a letter stating your opinion, but I don't think with owner's like that...that you should go back to that gym. I wouldn't even want to workout there if they have that kind of attitude.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
(male)

Jacob543 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Maybe try some girl stretchy pants to prevent this in the future, you can get some plus sizes that are made for our bums, and might be able to hold up on you, and still be comfortable, I bet if you get black or blue, no one will ever know but you.
I know when I see plumbers butt on a friend, its funny, but when it is a stranger, I get a bit grossed out, no matter what size you are. I don’t know why that is, but I don’t think I would complain I would rather tell you first before I felt I ever had to complain. Sorry that happened but I guess they didn’t have the confidence to warn you before you were banned. And that’s a shame when you get banned and you have no idea why. They should have given you at least a written warning. I would look at ways of having them accountable for THEIR behavior.
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I tried your advice about the stretchy pants. It kind of worked but I'm still having problems unfortunately...The main problem is I have a really large bum and my crack seems to go about a third of the way up my back (sorry for the gross details). My friend jokes Im the only person he's ever seen with a "butt crack" on his back...

Believe me, I realize this is not a good thing! Women don't want to date a guy with his butt showing. I hear people snickering at work of me as the "butt crack guy".

Even worse, it fits that stereotype of fat guys being total slobs. Unfortunately, I have many of those traits: I sweat A LOT, I have "man-boobs", the plumber's butt...And I feel like whenever people see me, they think, oh here's another fat slob. And that really bothers me...I don't think of myself as a slob...

But at this point, I've tried so many different things to fix the plumber's butt, and I just don't think it's gonna happen. My friends and family have learned to accept me, "butt crack" and all. I don't like it, but it's not gonna help me to worry about it more and more. I'm just focusing on losing weight and staying positive, and I'm confident that once that happens this won't be a problem anymore...

Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
(male)

CtRich HB User

Have you tried wearing a t-shirt several sizes bigger? I wear a 3x and I recently found some 6x on clearance, I bought them for the heck of it and they are really long on me, they should cover "your problem". What you experienced is just awfull. I'm a big guy also and can sympathize with you. I like the idea of calling a local tv station and even getting a lawyer to send a letter.

Good luck,
Rich

Old 02-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #15
(male)

paul22 HB User

as i suggested, and someone else did too... you should consider buying blank T shirts in way bigger sizes than normally fits you... if some big and tall shops are very expensive for them, buy them at the local "urban" shop at the mall, quality isnt superb, but won't cost more than 5/10 bucks each

also, you can buy basketball training pants in any sport store or buy similar stuff at the urban stores... since they are very baggy you could wear them higher than normally and it would probably cover your whole back... when i pull up my T mac pants it almost reaches my armpits, so i guess that won't be a problem

you could also wear a weight training belt like people use in powerlifting, except that i don't really know about the sizes which they come in (pretty big though) but you can wear them under your shirt and they will cover a large part of your lower back...

Closed Thread