It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

Kathy287 HB User
considering gastric bypass, need input

Hi, my name is Kathy. I am 40 years old and 5'6" and weigh 260 pounds. My BMI is 42 so I know that makes me a candidate for gastric bypass. I have tried dieting over and over without success. When I graduated from high school I was a very normal 140 pounds. I hurt my back when I was 20 and began gaining weight slowly due to not being able to be as active. I now have epilepsy, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and high blood pressure. I hate to look at myself in the mirror. Several of the medications that I take cause weight gain but they are necessary. My biggest problem with food is that I don't eat very healthy. Like today for instance...breakfast- skipped, lunch- grabbed a piece of italian bread and a few cubes of cheese on the go, dinner- tuna helper and peas. I find that I don't eat that much, so I get so angry sometimes with what I look like!!! I am very large chested and have always been, even when I was thin. I went to a surgeon and asked about a breast reduction a few months ago but he turned me down saying that I was too full under my arms and he doesn't operate on people with fibromyalgia because they don't heal as well and that I was too heavy. I wanted to have this done so I could actually have some weight off and be able to do some more exercise. I am just so afraid to go to the doctors about the gastric bypass and be shot down again. The other doctor really just humiliated me, he asked me if I couldn't afford better bras. I told him what I had was the largest ones that I could find and he kind of like snickered. He never even checked with my insurance if I had coverage. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me about their experiences with gastric bypass. I really want to hear from anyone, both good and bad. I need to weigh this out. I have a doctor appointment with my family doctor on Friday and I would like to make my decision on weather I would like to bring it up by then. Thanks in advance.
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: considering gastric bypass, need input

Kathy

I am writing to encourage you no matter what you decide about the surgery. I've never known anyone that has had this surgery. I have read a lot about it. Gastric Bypass is major surgery. I recommend that you read everything you can find out about the surgery.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sincerely Nadine

Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
(female)

Kathy287 HB User
Re: considering gastric bypass, need input

thank you Nadine, I have been researching and reading. I spent about 3 hours last night alone doing just that. Anyone else with input would be greatly appreciated.
Kathy

Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

I saw my family doctor today and she has referred me to a local weight loss clinic at a large hospital. They will follow me for about 3-6 months and then evaluate me for gastric bypass. My family doctor thinks this is the right thing for me, she has seen me struggle with my weight for many years. I just can't wait to lose some of this weight!!!! Wish me luck!
Kathy

Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: considering gastric bypass, need input

Hi Kathy

I am optimistic for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress.

Hugs Nadine

Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
(female)

LostN07 HB User

I had gastric bypass 18 weeks ago. Its done well for me. Ive not really had any complications and I can tolerate foods ect. Overall id do it again in a heartbeat. I dont think its for everyone so I do agree read up on it but it can be a blessing also.
If you have any questions on it just ask away.
In my 18 weeks ive lost 39 inches and 75 lbs.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
(female)

Dee101 HB User

Kathy have you considered giving the natural way another try .. you said that you have struggled with your weight for years .. if I may ask then you are regularly exercising and not able to lose the weight?? ..losing weight is a lifestyle change that the individual over time must decide to do ... finding your trigger foods and getting rid of them, finding the supplements not medication that will assist you in losing the weight and striving towards your goal

Two co-workers I know had gastric bypass surgery .. one what is no longer with the company looks fantasitc she's a real success story she informed me that you must do your home work that it's not so much the surgery itself but the aftercare, but of course check with your doctor, she also informed that instead of having the surgery done in state she went to a physican that specialize in it in Arizona

the other co-worker I would say that hers was not such a great success as she never changed her eating habits, that lifestyle change, she continues to have medical problems and still is what I would personally consider overweight

Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
(female)

LostN07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee101 View Post

the other co-worker I would say that hers was not such a great success as she never changed her eating habits, that lifestyle change, she continues to have medical problems and still is what I would personally consider overweight
It depends on your weight to begin with also. The surgery is a "tool" not a free pass. Its not done to make someone skinny but lose around 75% of your fat. Some just stop losing also. but yes You still have to change your life and your food choices. Some people have medicial problems afterwards. Im lucky thats ive not had those (knock on wood)

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #9
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

I have tried many different diets, I haven't tried any weight loss pills because of the interaction with my meds. I would lose about 20 pounds and that would be it. I would stop at about 240 pounds no matter what I did. My doctor has given me a diet to follow even, and that didn't work either. I am going to be going to a weight loss clinic in my area. I will be seeing a doctor there and they will be helping me try to get a diet that could help. Then after about 6 months, they will evaluate if I am a candidate for the gastric bypass. I am so excited. I would love to lose the weight without the surgery. I am a fairly active person. I work at a bakery as a sales person and we are constantly moving. We have to go from one end of the bakery to the other waiting on our guests and we need to go to the back and pull product many times. We also go upstairs to the office or downstairs for supplies several times during our shift. I also like to swim and do exercises in the pool. I don't really like doing them out of the pool because of my arthritis and fibromyalgia. Oh well, I will let you know any progress as I know, and Lost, can I ask what your starting weight was. I would be ecstatic losing 75 pounds, you should be so proud! Even if I could get to 200 pounds, it would make such a difference!!!! But if I could actually lose 75% of my fat...WOW! I am 40 and these bones are getting older and I can really feel that this is the time to do something about my weight.
Kathy

Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
(female)

SweetThing789 HB User

Hi Kathy...I just want toencourage you to try really hard to do this on your own and save the WLS as a last resort...I felt the same way that you do..but I have successfully lost 76 in 14 months by eating something every 3 hours and makeing the healthiest choices possible...I walk some every day and feel 110% better than before....I am so..glad I chose not to have the surgery, this can be done if you want it badly enough...do what is right for you and you have my support and encouragement whichever route you choose..Oh...I am older than you and have come off my RX arthritis medicine that I had been on for 8 years...Take care! ST

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-13-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: editing quote

Old 04-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
(female)

KatChat HB User

Please don't do it!!! Even if I had several pages to write on, I could not list the many health issues my sister has suffered from the results of Gastric Bypass. If you truely feel the need to have any procedure, please research the Lapband further.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
(male)

CtRich HB User

To late. I had it done on March 24

Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
(female)

jill60 HB User

My ex-husband had this surgery a couple of yrs ago & he has nothing but good things to say about it. I think he lost about 160 lbs & looks great. His knees were so bad but he couldn't have knee surgery until he took care of the weight problem. He has had 1 knee replacement since then. He was 49 when he had the gp surgery.
Good luck in what ever you decide.

jill60

Closed Thread