It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

joycan HB User
on the fence

I am writing to anyone who has gone through GB, I need more input as I am scared of making the wrong decision. I am 49 with a BMI of 44%. I have researched the different methods of gastric surgery and as a result am more confused.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Re: on the fence

Hi, my husband had a gastric bypass (regular kind) about 10 years ago, and although he lost weight and his blood pressure and cholesterol are better, he has all kind of digestive problems. He gets gas, diahreea, has terrible acid reflux and throws up a lot. He can't digest meats, chicken, or a lot of the vegetables and fruits like apple and pear.

I'm not saying don't get it done, but maybe do the lap band, so it can be reversed if there's a problem. My husband is often miserable. But it's possible he's just unlucky with this surgery.

I need to lose about 35 lbs. myself, and I"m trying to do it on my own because I see how he is. But I have heard the lap band is a good way to do it, if you want surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

There's also a newer version of the surgery, known as mini gastric bypass, or MGB for short. The actor Gil Gerard had that one performed. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Make sure you do all your homework before entering into it, but the report on 60 Minutes tonight but a very favorable spin on it.

WB

Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
(female)

Tralynn222 HB User

I had the lap-band surgery and I'm so happy I did. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago! I'm losing slowly and the healthy way. I won't say that I didn't consider the bypass because I did, but my husband wouldn't approve of me to have it. Once he read about the lap-band and the fact that is was reversible...he totally supported me.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
(male)

chiefan58 HB User

I'm new here, but I'll give you my $.02. I had gastric bypass nearly 3 years ago. (I'm 34) I was just 100lbs overweight, and my bmi wasn't quite 40. My surgery was done via 6 small holes. I went home the following day. The first 2 weeks were the worst, just because I was on a totally liquid diet. I have lost about 85lbs, and haven't had any problems keeping it off. I eat fairly normally, albeit much differently than I did before. I eat very little red meat. I didn't have any complications, and would definately recommend it. The weight loss was very rapid as well.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
(female)

mommyof5girls HB User

I haven't had the surgery but my sister who I am very close to did last July. She also had the six small holes done. She developed an ulcer where the stomach was reattached and had to take medicine for that and have several endoscopies done. The after surgery diet requires a lot more than a liquid diet for the first 2 weeks. She had to be on a liquid diet for 3 weeks before the surgery and 2 weeks following the surgery. The n certain foods are added back into your diet in a certain order and usually have to be finely chopped or blender for quite a few months it takes almost a year before your diet becomes "normal" again. There are many things she can't eat and for 3/4 of the first year she threw everything she ate up I mean everything and has constant diarrea. She never feels well and is always sick she has to take a lot of mlti vitamins because after the surgery your body doesn't get the amount of nutrients it needs. She sleeps constantly and has no energy. She told me she wished she hadn't gotten it done and has not recommened it to anyone. She did have it done by one of the best most recommended bypass drs in our area. I also would recommend making sure you take nutrition counseling first to make sure you have healthy eating habits afterwards. The surgery limits the amount of food you can consume but it doesn't change the mindset that got you there to begin with. She still has terrible eating habits. If you do your research you will also see that after about 2 years a big percentage of the people who have it done start to gain their weight back because the stomach can be stretched out agian. I hope this helps you make a decision I know it probably isn't what you wanted to hear but I think it does happen and I feel more often than not. She has lost over 100 lbs and has terrible saggy skin that ahe doesn't know what to do with so I would advise exercising while losing the weight. Good luck with your decision and by the way I am also overweight and am losing it the old fashion way but it does take alot longer.

Last edited by mommyof5girls; 06-19-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added note

Closed Thread