It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

biobits HB User
Unhappy New -looking for hope

Hi,
Well i don't really know how to start. I have tried everything i know to sort myself out but i just get bigger. I really could do with someone to chat to who understands how bad being this big really is - I so want to be able to lead a normal life again - play with my kids and help my hubby. Any friends will be truly welcome.
Heres hoping

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
(female)

whit3 HB User
Re: New -looking for hope

I know how you feel. Nothing I do works, or just makes things worse. I -ran- with my dog, ate salad and drank nothing but water for a whole week and still gained.

I've been big all my life though. I got to the point i was content with how big I was. I had someone who loved me even though I was big, I didn't really have any weight related health problems. But i'm now trying to lose so I can start a family.

But I know how you feel, being big isn't nice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

biobits HB User
Smile Re: New -looking for hope

Hi Thanks for your letter - maybe we can keep in touch with each other
Vanessa

Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

Valentine0214 HB User

Hello,

I think the first thing I would do is schedule an appt with my doctor. He can tell you if there is an underlying cause to your weight problem, maybe thyroid, sleep apnea, diabetes, emotional eater, etc.

Some of these things can make it difficult to lose weight no matter what you try. Once you get treated for these issues, it might be easier to lose weight. I have all of these conditions. People know little about sleep apnea, but it can really mess up your system. The brain is deprived of oxygen at night, which makes things almost impossible to do during the day and it can also throw the metabolism out of whack. I sleep with a CPAP machine and it changed my life.

So please, don't give up, there is help out there and hope out there!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
(female)

biobits HB User

Hi
thanks for your advice, i have been to my doctor many times but more resently i have been attending an obesity clinic - the dr there has help me a bit but at 25-27 stone (not really sure how much i weigh) it is not making much difference. I snore very badly and last January i had pluracy - i was in agony and my mum came to help me out - in the early hours of the morning i was sat in a chair trying to rest - mum was sat watching me and said i scared her because i kept stopping breathing. I told my dr how i felt drained all the time and that i fell asleep in the daytime at the drop of a hat and i told him what my mum had observed , He has refered me to a sleep clinic and i have 2 appointments in the next few weeks to see if they will diagnose sleep apnia - i have heard of this cpac machine and i am hoping they will let me try one. I have have got to do something soon or i will have no life left - things are so hard at the moment. But until then i need to find a way to keep positive because i am just so low right now.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
(female)

Valentine0214 HB User

Not to be an armchair doctor here, but I can pretty much tell you that you do have a sleep disorder (probably sleep apnea, like you mentioned, those were my symptoms as well). Snoring is a very big symptom, and if you can't stay awake during the daytime is another. Unbearable fatigue as well. And people are seeing you stop breathing. I would fall asleep at my keyboard at work, and I used to joke that I can drive and sleep at the same time. I can.

I am excited for you that you have an appt with the doctor for a sleep study! IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Once they get you your machine, it should help you to lose weight, because your metabolism will be able to function better, thus burning calories. You aren't getting enough oxygen at night, because you stop breathing. The CPAP helps that, because the pressure keeps your airways open. You will sleep better than you have in years, and be able to stay awake, and THINK. There were days that I literally couldn't think of my own name.

Please try to hang in there! And keep us updated. I can tell you how the sleep study works if you like. I am getting ready to leave the house to run some errands, but I'll look for you later.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-27-2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
(female)

biobits HB User

It is so great to find someone who understands what my life has become - the majority of my family just think i am just lazy - it is so lonely some times - always trying to justify why i am sdo tired - no energy and getting worse.
I am really feeling a better after your words - i am looking forward to my appointments now. I have my first one on the 2nd july - i have to collect a machine to clip to my finger over night and return it the next morning - my 2nd appointment is on the 14th june and is for a consultation at the sleep clinic.
What has the machine done for your lifestyle - how long have you use one?
thanks

Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
(female)

Valentine0214 HB User

Hello again!

I think it makes it worse when people don't understand! They just think you are fat and lazy. I went through the same thing.

I have had a machine since February of 2004. It does take some getting used to, but now it is like second nature to me.

You asked how it helped, well, I had more energy because I reached a deeper sleep, and actually got rested. I got more oxygen, so my oxygen level was a lot higher. I was out of the fog, and could think,and remember things. I had tons more energy. Now to be fair, I did have a lot of other health problems at the time, which culminated me being in the hospital for a week and a half. I found out that I had diabetes, heart failure, blood clots, and I was carrying over 130 pounds of water. My doctor noticed that I had sleep apnea, and asked why I didn't have a machine, and presto! I got one. So we got that all sorted out. I still take meds every day, and use my machine. I call it Homer (after the Simpsons), I figured if I was going to sleep with it the rest of my life, it should have a name! LOL!

The sleep study itself isn't too bad. You are hooked up to electrodes, so they can monitor and watch you when you sleep. You may have to go once or twice. Some clinics will hook you up, and let you sleep for a few hours, then give you a mask, and titrate you, which means adjust the pressure so they can adjust the pressure for your needs. Some labs let you sleep the whole night, then bring you back for a second study for the titration.

My machine is what is called an autopap, which means it adjusts pressure as my needs change during the night. I have a full face mask, which covers my mouth and nose. I like this better than nasal masks, friends tell me you can't wear nasal masks if you have a cold, and are stuffed up. Now the cool thing is, most machines come with a memory card, so you can ******** your history, and SEE how you are sleeping, on paper.

It's a lot to take in and get used to, but it is so worth it! I tell everybody about it, a lot of people don't know about sleep disorders. I think what really scared me is that I would stop breathing all those times (over 100 per hour), AND DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT! I am so glad some one pointed you in the right direction. Please hang in there, good things are coming!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
(female)

biobits HB User

Hi
I had my meeting with my consultant yesterday and it almost a relief when he confirmed that i had severe sleep apnea - the trace they did showed some dramatic results. Looks like i am functioning on auto pilot. My trace showed me stopping breathing at least once every minute. I never got any deep sleep at all. I have had my driving licence removed until i am under controlled sucessful treatment. I am waiting for a letter for an appointment to get a nasal cpap machine, i have been given an urgent status as the condition is severe and with out my car i can not get my children to school.
I hope they do not take too long as i am keen to get my 1st good nights sleep in years.
How are things going with you?

Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
(female)

Valentine0214 HB User

Well, now you are getting somewhere! How long will it be until you actually get your machine? Once you get your machine, things should start improving very quickly. I hope you have appointment soon. It does take a little getting used to using a machine, but think you will find that other areas in your life will get better, simply because you are getting a good night sleep. What did you think of the sleep study?

I hope your family is supportive, and encouraging to you as you make this step into your new life.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:30 AM   #11
(female)

biobits HB User

Hi great to hear from you again,

I did not do a sleep study - all i did was collect a little machine and attach it to my wrist/finger overnight - then i took it back the next morning - they then downloaded the results and called me for a consultation. Apparently the trace showed that i had severe sleep apnea and i have been out down as urgent - i am hoping to get a letter very soon - i just can't wait to get a really good nights sleep. - i am very keen to get the machine so i will call them if i have not heard from them by the end of next week.

( removed )

Vanessa

Last edited by moderator2; 07-17-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: disallowed use

Closed Thread