It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

CJCS48 HB User
Smile Overweight "rude awakening"

Hi, I'm new to the boards. I have been a big girl most of my life. Yesterday I went to the doctor for a check-up. When I got on the scale, I found that I had gained 5 lbs. since my last visit. Dosen't sound like much, but going from 257 lbs, to 262 lbs, is the end of the road for me. My blood pressure was up as well. This comming from a 59 year old big girl who has had no medical problems in the past. Well, I guess it just caught up with me. I feel ashamed and worse yet I feel gross. I'm sick of my joints aching and getting out of a chair like I'm 95. This is just wrong. I got away with it till now......somehow your past always has a way of catching up with you. Any one there who has felt the same, please share it with me. I can use all the encoragement I can get. I'm a recent stranger to a rural area where it's hard to make friends. The people are real nice, but if they don't know you all their life it's hard to get accepted in. Incidently, my appitite is way down since the doctor visit....I need it to stay that way. Thanks

Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: Overweight "rude awakening"

hi -

The only difference in our stories is that 1) I'm 10 years younger and 2) I haven't gotten away with it. Over the past 3 years I've gained from about 220 to 270. At my height and body type (muscular, not small boned), 220 was fine. I was wearing a size 16 or 18 and content with that. Then things got very bad in my family life and I ate to sedate myself. Looking back I think I'd have been much wiser to have used some medications but they concerned me. My knees and feet hurt to where I could hardly stand to even go to the store for needed items, my blood pressure is very high and I have no energy.

Well, about 6 months ago a co-worker began doing one of those liquid diets and the weight loss has been remarkable. But you know what? This is the 3rd time she had done this plan and lost over 80 pounds. The first 2 times she gained it back plus some. So I gave it all a lot of thought and here's what I decided.

I must re-learn how to eat and what my body can tolerate in terms of calories. So I decided that no matter how difficult it would be, I would take the long road. I began by taking a two week window where I ate nothing but processed foods with the calories right on the box or can. I recorded every bite. Then I check my weight and that gave me my metabolism. Not perfect but it's been darned close to exact. I can eat 1600 calories a day and lose 1.5 pounds a week. So, since April I have been recording every bite I eat each day and keeping a journal. I have lost 14 pounds.

It's been slow. But when I look at how I am doing it I am very proud because I think I'm finally doing it the "right" way. I actually plan days where I eat say 2100 calories, then cut the next 3 days back so they end up averaging 1600 because I want to learn out to eat 2 pieces of pizza and stop, then adjust the next few days so I don't gain.

In the journal I remind myself that by the end of the year, even at this pace, I will be back to the range of where I want to be. And maybe, if this becomes habit by then, I will have a shot at keeping it off. I really don't mind the recording of the food. There have been two days where I've really gotten off the path and it was painful to write down all I ate that day, but a very good control to go back and read over when I feel like doing it again!

And here's the best part of my story so far. Last week I had to return a top I'd bought. The return line was crazy but since I'd driven there, I decided to tough it out. I was in line 25 minutes. And I did not experience any pain. Yes, I had to shift my weight some and would have sat if I could, but it was a very, very significant difference than in March when I wouldn't even have tried.

So that's my very long winded story. But I wanted to share it because I highly recommend trying this method. I keep telling myself that as long as I am moving forward, I need to let time work for me instead of against me. If you can do the same, I'd really recommend giving this a try. It's really a lifestyle change. And so far, it's working so well I really can't even complain about being "on a diet". And that's why I think it will work.

Good luck to you whatever you try. I understand your misery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

Hello there ladies! I'd like to join this thread as I have had a weight problem all of my life! At the moment I weigh 92kg (I'm from Australia where we are metric ) and that is 202 lbs. I am only 159 cm which is 5 ft 3 ins or 63 ins, so I am way to heavy as my frame is pretty average I would say. I'm 63 years old & I have tried every diet under the sun, so perhaps we can support each other & do it together!?

CJCS48 you have been so lucky to have no health issues till now, but raised BP is a good incentive to get you started! Resolution09 you are doing a great job- I think that changing your eating habits for the long term rather than "going on a diet" is probably the best way to go! I will try to take a leaf out of your book!

I have a few health issues- I have GORD or GERD as you Americans call it plus Asthma & Micro vascular angina. All of these conditions are controlled with medications, but all of them would benefit from weight reduction! My gastro doc told me that if I weighed 55 kg (121 lbs) then I could get of the ppi medication probably. This is great incentive- I just have to actually do it- which isn't an easy task for me!

Looking forward to coming back here to hear and learn more, & to support each other!

Old 06-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Hi Bubble!

I think almost any medical condition you have can improve if the level of a person's obesity goes down. I don't care if I am ever thin. I can live with fat. But I hate being obese. I don't want to break any rules here but it's very hard to talk about obesity without discussing the need for weight loss.

Here in the US we really do seem to have a large number of obese people. I think it's the processed food, lack of time for healthier food prep, sitting life style (not lazy, I know I have to work a typical 50 hour week! but it's sitting on my rump) and a lack of self control. It's so easy to take the short cut. I do that far more in terms of fitness than I do diet. I hate to exercise.

Once I get to where my weight is a little more controlled I hope to add more walking back into my day. Nothing fancy. I don't need to join a gym, but I need to move. But I have this problem with my right foot that's pretty painful and at my current weight I could make things worse. So it's another case of letting time work for me. I'm not fond of hot weather either so it's our summer and with any luck, I will be ready to start walking again in about 3 months with the start of our fall.

I would not wish obesity on anyone. I'm going to keep taking it one day at a time. And I wish you all the luck in the world!!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

It sounds as though you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!- you have to be getting healthier with this steady weight loss!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
(female)

CJCS48 HB User
Smile Re: Overweight "rude awakening"

Thank You, resolution09 & bubblegirl,
I's never fun being alone. I feel better for reading you replies. . I was feeling a little out of control today, so this is just what I needed. I have been working on staying aware of what I eat and stopping when I feel full. A few weeks ago, there was a series on TV called, "I can make you thin". I recorded it and watch it whenever I feel the need. He teaches you how to replace the need to feel good through eating with memories of something in your life that made you happy. He also shows you how to change your additude toward exercise. Most of us think of exercise as a painful experiance so we don't do it. He says not to do it till you hurt. Do it in small steps. I'm sure he was trying to sell his book, but the information is good, and I'm willing to listen to or do almost anything that works. I'm working up to dusting off the exercise bike in my room.....but first I have to remove the clothes. It will be easier on the knees and cooler then going outside to walk for now. Summer in the South......Uck! That's another thing....I am alway hot. I perspire like a race horse....makes me crazy!
resolution09, The idea of keeping a journal is a great idea....I think I need to do that too. I dislike having to do it, but with my selective memory it's all the more necessary.

So happy to have found you!!!!

Last edited by CJCS48; 06-16-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
(female)

CJCS48 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Overweight "rude awakening"

Hi All,
Just a little update.....Got great news on Wednesday.......new BP meds are working and I lost 7 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I'm so happy to be out of the 260's again. Guess I'll keep on truckin. By for now

Old 07-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's wonderful! I am now at minus about 15 pounds from when I started this effort on 4/30. It feels like it's going very slowly but I'm still eating well and making good choices. Really, I'm about a 100% turn around from before. I think I'd sort of lost hope that, short of surgery, I could create a healthy life for myself and put obesity in my rear view mirror. This "healthy lifestyle" method isn't the fast track, that's for sure!

I know what you mean about putting the 260's behind you. For me there was something about crossing that 250 mark that made me feel hopeless.

Keep working on your better health. It's soooo worth it!

Closed Thread