It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

mona22440 HB User
gastric bypass question

am i a good candadate for bypass surgery based on the following:

I eat moderatly because I am hungry once a day

I eat because it looks good or i have a craving or i know it is good or it won't be there later so i gotta eat it now....all the time, every day....

What is your opinion?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
Re: gastric bypass question

i'm no expert...but i think there are certain criteria to follow before u can even get the surgery done. try searching online about gbs. my friend got it and it was the best decision he has made. u also have to go to the doctor's to get evaluated to see if u are a good candidate. i think u have to be like 100 lbs overweight and have some life threatening disease. goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona22440 View Post

I eat because it looks good or i have a craving or i know it is good or it won't be there later so i gotta eat it now....all the time, every day....

What is your opinion?
If you are saying you eat only once a day and are still obese, you would not be a good candidate. I agree with the previous poster. You have to research and have a consultation. Most centers who do the surgery have free clinics. There are now about 4-6 different types of surgeries available.

However, as I said, if you are saying you eat only once a day moderately and are still very overweight, I'd be getting to a doctor for a physical. It sounds like there's another problem and I don't think any reputable weight loss surgery center would touch you without have your overall health checked out from head to toe.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

noangel71968 HB User

I had a duedonal switch after trying everything else. I didn't eat a lot before the surgery and had even been on 300 calorie day dr supervised diets without success. So I understand it is possible to not eat a lot and still be obese without having some medical reason for it (or at least without having a medical reason that they can currently find and diagnosis). As far as gastric bypass surgeries go, there is more than one type. They all have side effects and risks that you need to balance out with what you might gain from having the surgery. Do some research and talk to a medical expert. Oh, I had the surgery almost 3 years ago and went from a size 26/28, to an 8, with a little bit of regain to a size 10- so yes, it worked, very well!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

DeniseInTexas HB User

I am a post gastric bypass patient (five years out). I felt similar to you when I first started the process. When I heard my PCP descibe me at morbidly obese I was appalled.
I never, ever saw myself as having poor eating habits, or being an overeater.

The process you go through exploring and researching the procedure is an eye opener all in itself. Only you and your surgeon can decide if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Do not rush, take your time, ask questions, go to support groups, speak to successful and NON successful post ops. Experiences vary greatly. It takes a lot of self reflection and committment for you to decide if you can make and endure the required changes.

I am five years out, 150 pounds lighter, and would do the surgery again any day of the week to be where I am today. But even five years later there are I get a "reality check" when I try to eat like I did before.

Good luck to you,

Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
(female)

shawna68 HB User
Unhappy Re: gastric bypass question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona22440 View Post

What is your opinion?
I don't know its got me confused because i am well over 100 lbs. over weight. I am 5 ft 4 & weigh 252 lbs. I am so big i have a hard time walking through the stores or anywhere. My legs swell up, i have bad knees, Etc... I am miserable because i cant shop for clothes and find anything that's fitting. The big girl stores are past my budget. Every doctor i see tells me i need to lose weight. None understand i wanna lose weight and its just not happening. I ask about gastric bypass they laugh and shake their head no. My sister in law and my friend both had surgery and neither had health problems just the problems i have. why were they candidates but not I ? I think it depends on the doctor and how they feel about the surgery. I also have asked for diet pills and they laugh and say no. I have a friend who takes pills her doctor gives her and she has lost tons of weight. I am so angry and fed up and have just came to the conclusion I am gonna stay fat and thats the way it is.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-28-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: edited quotes

Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
(male)

blueknightq HB User

well u have to reach a certain bmi (body mass index) its like more weight then u shoule be at.its like above 45bmi.plus u have to provide profe that you have tried dieting several times and u failed.u need doctors clearence x-ray and so on before ur insurance can approve u.i have a friend who had the surgery,she looks great but u have to be careful about how u eat,what u eat and your eletrolites.her sister also did it,but now she has sum anemia problem,and gets iv every other week.there is also another sugery call lap-band/look into that first,my recommendation.im going for that sum time this month.dont giveup.im about 290lbs was 220 and travel had fun eating pork in the philippines n gain all the weight.now it wont get off.

Last edited by blueknightq; 09-05-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
(female)

Carlyn66 HB User

Shawn based on your height and weight you are a candidate for a gastric bypass. I am 5'7 and was 270 lbs. I had a weight problem all my life. I spent years dieting and have lost hundreds of pounds but gained them back. My problem was I could not afford a gastric bypass. My insurance would not pay for it. I went to Costa Rica for my bypass. I paid $11,000 and was home 8 days later. I have had my bypass for 18 months and it has been wonderful. I currently weight 168 lbs. I can sit in a seat and not worry it will break, I can take a plane flight and not worry that I am taking part of the seat next to me, I can buy CLOTHES! All I needed to go was a BMI of 40 for gastric bypass and 37 for a lap band. Your BMI is about 43-44 so you are a candidate. My surgeon was board certified in the States and had better credentials than the US surgeon that I could not afford. I have never been happier and I want to tell everyone that their is a way to save their life and live well.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
(female)

Shawnakay2005 HB User

Shawn...DON'T GIVE UP! I would ask your doctor for a more detailed answer as to why you are not a candidate. Also maybe find a different surgeon to for a second opinion. My Primary doctor was totally agains the idea because I was 21. So I went to the clinic without a referral. I did not have an apointment but just wanted some info. I talked to the nurse who helped me get my doctor to write a referral. In 1 year and 5 months I have lost 132lbs. It was the best decision of my life and I would make it a million times over. <removed> don't give up!
Shawna

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-31-2008 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
(female)

isbeltagy HB User

i had a bypass in 2001 i was 451 now im 158. This is not a quick fix you can gain the weight back. I never had back pain when i was 451 since losing the weight i have a very bad back problem and im on oxycotin, perks,somas,xanax and valiums and if i dont have the meds i get very sick. I still once in a while throw up but i was lucky i didn't have any problems with the surgery but there are risks you have to get a complete work up and get an ok from your doctor then go see an bypass doctor. Once you do that the doctor goes to the insurance company and they ok it. Do you have health issues? This would be in your favor. I am now going for back surgery the wrist surgery. I never fell or no accident this was from my job lifting boxes up to 60lbs. If you need help getting started i will help you. It took me along time to and along look in the mirror to make this happen for me. I now have a very beautiful husband which i thought i would never ever have we been together for 10 years. I know what you are going through beleive me. My daughter is heavy and i fear for her she is considering the lap band. Maybe the lap band is for you not the by pass. Please do more research for yourself not anyone else. You need to do this for you.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-15-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
(male)

John Wilber HB User

I read your post and I really hope you won't give up the fight. I figured I would try an help ya out a little bit. Here are your eligibilities. BMI (Body Mass Index)

1. Failed attempts at weight loss in a medically supervised weight-loss program that have been documented.

2. BMI greater than 40 without associated co-morbidities.

3. BMI greater than 35 with one or more of the co-morbidities.

4. Able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the principles involved with surgical options, long- and short-term risks, complications, and what is required after surgery.

5. Surgery is not recommended for those who have alcoholism, overt psychosis, excessive somatization, and major cardiopulmonary disease, which would make surgery unduly dangerous.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
(male)

John Wilber HB User

I hope my information helped you out. Just dont ever give up.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
(female)

fizz331 HB User

its been something iv been thinking about for a long time i have looked into it i hope that you find what your looking for and it all goes well

fizz

Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
(female)

isbeltagy HB User

I had the bypass in 2001 its been 8 years now. I trying to help my daughter to make a choice my by pass went very very good but it is not a quick fix i have to work harder then when you go on a regular diet. Im just letting everyone that is considering the by pass makesure its for yourself not for anyone else. Its alot of hard work.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
(female)

vsueka HB User

as a person who lost 100 pounds and still goes up & down....i urge you to stay positive and healthy...do not give up putting your health first.

Closed Thread