It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

frog96 HB User
I keep gaining weight

Hi, I posted on here about 8 months ago to say that I needed to change my life. At that time I weighed about 300lbs. Unfortunatly in the past 8 months not much has changed. In fact things had got worse as I now weigh 336lbs. I keep gaining weight. I have tried to diet in the last few months but I just keep getting bigger. Maybe I just need to accept that I am going to be fat forever?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
(female)

ljenner831 HB User
Re: I keep gaining weight

Are you taking any medications that may cause weight gain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

Have you worked with a doctor to determine why you are gaining weight? If not you need to, this will help you to decide the best way to stop gaining and start to get control of your health/weight. If you give us a bit more of your story, maybe we could give more specific ideas/advice. Sorry if you posted this before, I must have missed your previous post.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

keeping strong HB User
Thumbs up Re: I keep gaining weight

My dr. just put me on Meridia...I have been on it for 3 1/2 weeks and I have lost 12 1/2 lbs. Now this is not a miricle pill, I had to work very hard but Meridia gave me the energey to get up and work out, walk and also I get full faster. This pill motivated me. I had only the side effect of trouble sleeping the 1st week. I feel great. Maybe you sgould talk with your Dr about Meridia. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-14-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

I have been battling with my weight for most of my life but recently I have managed to slowly and consistently lose. I've been writing everything that I eat- the amounts also, and I'm gradually re-education myself about where the hidden calories are. I've stopped eating out too- that's when I do the damage!

It's important to have a health check with your doctor first though to make sure there is no medical reason for the weight gain. Best of luck and let us know how you are going!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
(female)

care_berry HB User

Hi frog96, sorry to hear you've been gaining more weight! Do you tend to eat many processed or "diet" foods? MSG (monosodium glutamate) is an additive common in these types of foods that is used to make the food taste better. The problem is it actually causes people to gain more weight and is a neurotoxin linked to migraine headaches. A good way that scientists use to get lab rats fat is by giving them MSG with their foods. MSG has hidden names that can be included in ingredients of foods. Some of these names are: autolyzed/hydrolyzed vegetable protein, yeast extract, natural flavorings, flavorings, monopotassium glutamate, calcium caseinate, and glutamic acid. There are many, many more hidden names for MSG. A good way to avoid it is to prepare your own foods yourself or check all the ingredients in prepared foods against a list of known hidden MSG names. Be careful when eating out!

Another important thing to avoid is aspartame, which is commonly added to diet sodas in an effort to keep the sugar content low. This is also linked with weight gain, along with other horrible side effects such as seizures.

The biggest difference might be made if you eliminated gluten from your diet. I've heard miraculous stories of people who just couldn't lose weight find out that after giving up gluten from their diets that the weight finally comes off. In my case, a gluten free diet helped me to gain weight back after an illness and I feel so much better without it. Gluten is a protein contained in foods such as wheat, barley, and rye. I hope that this is helpful to you!!! Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
(male)

brian234 HB User

I have been looking into the matter of weight control with the New Sugar Busters book for several years now. Essentially, we have to decrease the amount of insulin, being produced by the pancreas. This insulin, if produced in too great a volume, can result in insulin resistance or pancreas burn out. In the case of insulin resistance, the cells that work with the insulin become worn out and become ineffective in using the insulin to process sugars. There is another hormone being secreted by the pancreas, namely glucagon.

With lowered levels of insulin, from avoidance of refined sugar, the glucagon hormone (being secreted by the pancreas) will reach high levels. Glucagon is the fat burning hormone. Over a continued time period, it will remove fat from the body, and bring our weight to a healthy level. Those lowered insulin levels can only be obtained by bowing out of the refined sugar culture that is currently very strong.

( removed )

Even though I used refined sugars wrongly for 58 years, I changed in 2004 with a diagnosis of elevated blood pressure, and have seen the benefits of learning to hate refined sugar, even though I would enjoy the taste. I have to live with knowing that I will never eat ice cream again, or a chocolate bar, or a can of pop and be perfectly happy in the denial. In addition, I consume a low glycemic cereal (oatmeal with no sugar) every morning, and can see the benefits of this-even though it doesn't taste the greatest. '

( removed )

Hope this helps.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-07-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: please read the rules to know what is allowed to be posted

Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
(male)

brian234 HB User

As a further insight, I had mentioned insulin. When we consume high glycemic carbohydrates (those with little fibre) such as corn flakes, potatoes, white bread, our pancreas immediately reacts by producing huge amounts of insulin. As well, a typical soft drink has from 7 teaspoons and up of refined sugar-easily determined by looking at the label as a teaspoon of sugar is 5gms. It causes the pancreas to produce huge amounts of insulin to break down the sugars. I prepare my daily oatmeal in the microwave every morning. It is one part oatmeal to 3 parts water. I sprinkle freshly ground golden organic flax on it (excellent source of omega 3 which is key to fighting heart disease and cancer). I might have the odd raison or unsweetened rhubarb. But you could also put fresh peaches on it. I think that you want to avoid brown sugar, as you would be defeating the purpose of having a low glycemic cereal to keep insulin levels down.

This insulin is the key factor in determining the amount of glucagon. With low insulin, we have high levels of glucagon secreted. With high levels of constant insulin being secreted by the pancreas, the levels of glucagon are kept low. Glucagon is the key hormone in weight loss as it burns off fat. It is a joke that many products advertise for weight reduction and they indicate that the person can continue to consume high levels of
sugar and high glycemic carbs. It won't work.

When I was diagnosed with elevated or high blood pressure in 2004, I immediately switched off sugar and margarine. I saw dramatic results right away. I went down from 194 lbs to about 168 pounds over several months. As well, exercise such as walking also decreases the level of insulin, as we will have somewhat elevated levels of insulin just from the fact that we are consuming carbohydrates. So the walking will lower the levels of the insulin. A key factor is also the timing of meals. Ideally, after a meal, a good walk would be a help. Sometimes, we are tempted to have a nap after a big meal. That isn't good. As well, the timing of meals is key. We shouldn't eat within the time period of less than 4 hours before our normal bedtime. Ideally, we should have lowered our insulin levels before we retire for the night.

From my efforts, I require only 25 mg of cozaar daily instead of the 50 mg of cozaar that I started on in 2004.

If one learns to hate refined sugar, you will hopefully see a decrease in the waist line. I am pulling for all those who face weight challenges.

Take care,
Brian

Last edited by brian234; 09-07-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: sentence structure

Closed Thread