It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #1

Hears The Water HB User
Post Infected bellybutton (graphic)

Hi, I am new here to the obesity board. I have a question that to me is fairly serious. I will try to be as breif and as non graphic as possible. I probably should post this somewhere else (and probably will)but since my anatomy is unique due to being obese, I thought I should start here.
I think I have an infection in my nave. Now, being obese, y'all know that there is a long way from the navel it's self to the outside of my tummy. I do not know what to call it or how to describe it. But I do know that hygene is very very important. Well, anyway, Tue. morning I woke up with my belly button hurting. When I got out of bed of cource my tummy went with me and in getting up and sitting up I put pressure or squished my tummy. I thought that I may not have been doing as good of a job washing in that area, so I used a q-tip to swab it out. Kinda gross, i know. So then later on in the day I noticed that there was some pale blood in my belly button cavern (for lack of a better word) So I again used a q-tip to clean it out with Safeguard soap. Rinsed it and dried it. The blood was like when you lance a boil, full of pus and smelly. This happend a couple more times since then. What is bothering me is a couple of thing. I know I should go to a Dr. but have no insurance or $$$ so that is out. I also worry that this could lead to something internal?? Is that possible? I mean, is there a link from the outside to the inside?? I know this is crazy, but I am being paranoid. The other thing is that I can't seem to not poke at it. I know I know, I should not go digging around in there. But I am sore (that is probably why) and I want it to heal as quickly as possible. So I have been wahing it with Safeguard soap and rinsing it and drying it as much as I can. Finally, there seems to be a twinge of pain at my Urethra, and I know from experience that there is a direct link (acupressure point???) from pressing your bellybutton to a tingeling there. So I am thinking taht maybee it is happening because of the irritation in my belly button. Ok, now that y'all are done shaking your heads and laughing at me, can anyone help me? I am a bit scared and it realy isn't funny to me. Has anyone els had this happen to them?? I tried to do some online searches,but all I can get involve navel piercing information. Thanks in advance,
God bless you and yours
Hears The Water

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2003, 06:07 PM   #2

Dylansmom27 HB User
Hi Hears,
First off, I didn't laugh or shake my head while reading your post because I can see how concerned you are and I don't see humor in it at all. If you only had the belly button issue with the smell and the discharge and until you could get to a doc I would make sure you clean the area thoroughly and afterwards make sure that you dry it really well. Sometimes the dampness can cause a fungus of some sort, it has happened to me. I have used perioxide and then put antibiotic ointment on the area as well. As far as your twinge of pain in the urethra, I wouldn't mess around with that, I would get yourself to a doc. They could probably look at the nave situation while you are there. good luck to you and hope you feel better.

Old 08-16-2003, 11:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I agree with Dylansmom. Get yourself some antibiotic ointment. A couple of times a day, use a q-tip and some peroxide to clean out your navel then dry it well and apply antibiotic cream inside there. It's a clear, gel-like stuff that you can buy relatively cheap at Walmart or any drugstore. If you have pus inside there, you have an infection of some sort. Try the cream for a couple of weeks, say 2 times a day. Once when you get up, then again before you go to bed. See if it goes away. I've had very good luck using antibiotic ointments on sores. It can clear up an infection in a very short amount of time.

If that doesn't seem to clear it up. Try an antifugal cream. You may have some type of fungal infection in there. Fungus likes to grow in warm, moist places.

Good luck to you. If you can't clear it up by doing these couple of things, consider a doctor. An office visit is usually under $40.

Old 08-17-2003, 07:42 AM   #4

lalogger HB User
I don't want to scare you in anyway, but you really need to go to a doctor to get that checked. The reason I say this is that I have a neighbor that started bleeding from her navel and she went to the hospital and they had to operate. The reason she was bleeding was because a tumor was trying to come out through her belly button. They ended up removing 38 tumors in her stomach area, told her she was lucky that one was coming out her navel of they would have not known about all the other ones until it was to late. I hope your situation is Ok but I would go to a Doctor just to be safe.

Old 08-27-2003, 01:08 PM   #5

lumi773 HB User
What you are experiencing sounds like it may be an abcess. If cleaning it and draining it did not make it go away, it can become a serious infection. And in that area, it would be especially hard to treat the infection yourself. I agree with everyone else, you need to see a doctor. I know this is difficult when money is tight, but you can usually find a free clinic in or around your community. Call your regular Dr.'s office and ask. I'm sure they can tell you where to find one.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:10 PM   #6

dixie-girl HB User
This happens to me all the time. First I pour peroxide in it then I clean it with a q-tip it usually takes several q-tips.I continue to do this daily until there is no longer a discharge.Then I try to remember to dry it out with a q-tip after showers . It seems the drier you keep it the less it occurs.
Tammy

Old 09-01-2003, 04:08 PM   #7

Kthulah HB User
This has never happenned to me, but I do know people who similar things have. My doctor friend here says go to a doctor ASAP.

Many things could be wrong...It's could be an abscess, but it could also be a pilondial cyst because hairs do grow in that area...and like another said, it could be tumors. You don't know if you don't get it checked.

If it does turn out to be just an abscess, then for future prevention, persoxide and antibiotic ointment is a good idea, but for the washing beforehand, chuck the safeguard and get some iodine liquid soap.

Squeeze about a half teaspoon to a teaspoon in there, and don't use a hard object to clean it out because it could just further irritate things. Use a wad of cotton to wash it until it makes a good lather, then thoroughly rinse it out...as if you were cleaning a small but fragile plastic baggie.

Then after that it may help to keep it packed with cotton or some gause, with a good smear of antibiotic ointment on it. When you can, though, try to get it some air. Pull up your belly a little, and qently blow into it with a blowdryer set on low. Don't cap the thing over your navel. Blow it from the outside.

Dry heat kills just about any kind of microbe there is. It's what women are advised to do for their episiotomy, and as you know, some areas get even less air than a navel

------------------
~Kthulah

Old 09-02-2003, 11:25 PM   #8

pbarjranch HB User
Exclamation

Ohmigosh~I thought I was the only one who had experienced this bizarre sore belly-button thing! I never did go to the doctor, but that is not to say that you shouldn't! (I, too, am overweight!)

I did, however, clean it with soap and water and used antibiotic ointment twice a day as most everyone else suggested! It felt a bit better by the end of the first day and much better in a couple days.

Can you call your doctors office and talk to one of the nurses? Sometimes they will suggest helpful remedys if you pump them for answers--and this is free medical advice...

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!
AZ/OK Jo

Old 09-10-2003, 07:25 PM   #9

budnsissy3 HB User
Unhappy

I have been having the same symptons except my blood is dark, persistant and smelly. I'm not overweight. I did have my belly button peircedbut I took the ring out over a year ago. This started happening about two months ago and it only stops for a few days and then it's back. I clean it every day. I've also tried not cleaning it every day thinking i had too many chemicals in there and I needed to let my body naturaly do the work. I don't have any pain but I do get that tingle in my lower stomach. I havn't seen a doctor because of finances. Hearing that it could be a tumor allthough far fetched scares the crap out of me.

Old 09-20-2003, 02:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User
Smile

hello hears the water-
Before i get anyones hopes up, i must first say that the kind of facility i am recommending is found all throughout california but i'm not sure about the rest of the U.S. Anyway, i HIGHLY recommend family care clinics. They are free and usually for sexual health (since most of them are linked to "Planned Parenthood") but since your urethra is involved, a free family care clinic may be able to help you. Good luck.......... Oh, i also noticed that your post was from a few weeks ago so hopefully you've even gotten better by now. :-)

Old 09-21-2003, 10:50 AM   #11

Kthulah HB User
Budnsissy,

What you've got sounds like a cyst either because of an infected hair follicle, or the piercer didn't know enough about anatomy to avoid any follicles or oil/sweat glands. For next time, pores have a sort of a pattern, and the entry and exit of the pierce has to be between pores, not through them. You'll need to go to the doctor to have the cyst removed from the root so it doesn't grow back.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
(female)

Krissie HB User
Re: Infected bellybutton (graphic)

Presently I am experiencing bleeding from belly button. It has been going on for two weeks. I had a CAT Scan which revealed nothing but fluid in the navel area and my primary care physician referred me to an Abdomnal Surgeon. He's been a surgeon for 30 years and never saw anything like this. He prescribed a heavy duty antibiotic 4x's per day yesterday and I need to take them for a week and then go back to see him. He told me to clean it out and dry it with peroxide often. I have taken 4 pills so far and no change. I know its still early but I am afraid. He said that if it does not stop, there is a possiblity he will suggest to cut out the whole belly button area and sew it up. Perhaps I have taken my belly button for granted all of the 39 years of my life, but I can not even think of not having a belly button. It is part of me.

I read a few other posts regarding belly button bleeding. It took forever to find this site or anything at all to do with bleeding belly buttons so I am glad to know that I am not the only person on the planet with this problem.

I saw some of the posts were from 2003 so I am curious if anyone is still here who can share with me what your problem was and how it was cured or if there is anyone new here who is going through or has gone through what I am experiencing.

I am very scared and don't know what to do or what this could be.

Last edited by Krissie; 03-16-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 AM   #13
(female)

suzannew HB User

I have had an abcess in my belly button a couple of times. I have been to my doctor and she referred me to a surgeon. He told me I needed to have my belly button removed. I am having it done in about a months time. My problem is that no one has actually told me what is involved, the hospital has told me I will have it done and go home on the same day. If anyone else has had this done or knows of anyone who has I would be very grateful for any information.

The following user gives a hug of support to suzannew:
jowens336 (08-22-2011)
Old 05-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
(female)

Bonnie1 HB User

Hi, I don't know how much help this will be but I thought I would mention it just in case. For a couple of years I experienced the exact same think, really smelly, crusty belly button, which would get really sore, dry up be ok and them keep returning. Anyway, I got so fed up with it I went to see my GP and he referred me to a surgeon who had a look at it. What I had was apparently a 'birth defect' which is very very common. There is a tract which runs from your urethra to your belly button and when you are born it should close up, apparently mine had not closed properly so I needed to have surgery to find out how far down it was open to and then to get it closed. I was only in for 1 night, I still have a belly button and I was off work for approx 2 weeks. My belly bitton tract was open quite far down, but I was sewn up and now all is well, never had a problem ever again.

Don't know if this is what your could be, but it sounds very similar, mine kept getting infected because it was open. Anyway, maybe this will help.

Kate

Old 05-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #15
(female)

rhiannon777 HB User

I've had this happen to me off and on for a few years. I pour some hydrogen peroxide in it, then let it drain out. Do it a couple times until it doesn't bubble much when you pour it in. Do this once or twice a day and it should clear up in a couple days. (Of course, if it doesn't go away in a couple days, THEN you should probably see a doctor). I think this happens because extra weight and clothes that cover the bellybutton keep moisture in there and cause it to get infected.

Anytime most people press on their bellybuttons, they get a twinge in the genital area. I wouldn't worry about that unless it you start having the twinge constantly, or it becomes painful.

Closed Thread