It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2002, 07:42 PM   #1

catndogma01 HB User
Question Surgery, Anyone?

Has anyone here had gastric bypass surgery?

Old 08-12-2002, 09:37 AM   #2
(female)

cooki HB User
i havent had it but I would be VERY intrested in hearing about anyone who has I am looking into having it done but am a little nervous about it.
Take Care,
~Cooki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2002, 07:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
I haven't had it myself, but a very close friend had the gastric bypass surgery. She has been quite pleased with it.

Personally though, having seen what she's been through because of it, I would never consider it. She can no longer eat normally...only a few bites at a time. She's had to have several follow-up surgeries; some of them to remove the excess skin that was hanging off her body because she lost the weight so fast, but some of the surgeries were as a direct result of the gastric bypass surgery. She also now has frequent diarrhea, which I understand is a common side effect of this surgery.

On the other hand, my friend weighed well over 300 pounds before the surgery, and she's only 5 feet tall. She now weighs 120. And, as I said above, she thinks it was worth it.

Just be sure you consider all factors before making the final decision. It's not for everybody.

Old 08-18-2002, 08:59 PM   #4

karenortwein HB User
I would do it in a heart beat, but I am not morbidly obese or at least 100 lbs over with other health problems, which you have to be. I'm about 50 pounds overweight.

Old 09-03-2002, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Thumbs down

I know three women that have had it done, all more than a year after surgery and each of them wishes that they had NOT had it done. Problems range from losing most of their hair (despite taking supplements), to horrible gas that is uncontrollable, to body odor from the body not breaking down foods, to complications digesting food and infections.

I could go on about their scenarios, but to sum up their experiences, the doctors are not being upfront about the side-effects and how likely they are to encounter them. As it's not something that can be reversed very easily, please weigh ALL your options and research the situation carefully. There are a lot of new procedures on the forefront that are a lot less drastic and produce better results - ie Large Volume Liposuction.

Just please be fully informed before doing anything so drastic!

Old 09-04-2002, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Someone in the Weight Loss forum posted that she had it done recently - she posted within the last two weeks.

Old 09-05-2002, 12:10 AM   #7
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Will Medicaid/Medicaire cover the procedure if your doctor prescribes it be done?An uncle had some type surgery to lose weight about 15 years ago...He lost weight rapidly,couldn't eat but a few bites at a time and developed Hernia's requiring more surgery...It made him sick...I know a woman that had the stapling done,she weighed around 218 pounds before surgery...Everytime I saw her she was munching on something constantly...I guess I know one woman that had the Bypass done...She is doing well since...I know a few other people that had the stapling done and like my uncle they had probs and gained back what they lost plus some..If you receive Medicaid/Medicare I know for a fact they won't cover medicine like Xenical but was unsure of the surgery...

Old 09-05-2002, 07:04 AM   #8
(female)

cooki HB User
Medicade did pay for me to have xenical, your doctor has to request it for you and then you have to meet the requirements that medicade has. I have been taking it for a few months and have not had much luck over that last few months I have lost 3lbs. It is very discuriging(sp?) I know that they said it would come off slowly but 1 pound a month! I am looking in to having medicade pay for a surgery I have found out that they have paid for surgerys here in Maine before, if you go to yahoo and type in obesity there is a site there that will tell you if your state Medicade program will allow the surgery. Good luck in your search and I hope this helps.
Take Care
~Cooki

Old 09-11-2002, 05:08 AM   #9

Becca312 HB User
Question

Hi, I'm new to the board,and the reason i have seeked this message board out is, I went to a knee dr yesterday and i was told about this stomach stapling surgery, Well i told her if i eat once aday i was doing good and my fiancee was with me and he confermed that. But i told her, my worry was i'm not over weight because i'm a over eater and how does she think something like this is going to help me, and the said it does something to the hormones to my body and helps my metabolism, and she said that everyone that has this done hse has realy good results and very fast, and that this is not just for over eaters its for people like me as well. I'm sorry i was like really letting her have it and i told her i didint trust her that this was something just to make me have it done and because dr's blame everything on weight she was telling me what i wanted to hear. And i feel in her mind she was like "If she was small her knees wouldnt hurt" not hearing me at all and see i'm new to Winchester VA and i need a knee dr i have had 2 surgeries on my right knee and 1 on my left and my knee dr where i lived before didnt treat me like this and it really hurt my feelings i had all my med, records with me and everything and i was trying to tell her that the reason i had messed up knees was where my EX beat me for 11yrs and he took a 4x4 and beat my knees to keep me from leaveing and she just wouldnt hear me and i just feel like my last knee dr understood me but he is 4 hr away now , I know i need to loose weight i would love it OH GOD YES!!!! But that just hurt and threw up a RED FLAG!!! After i had my first son i took birth control pills and my dr at the time run blood test and he took me off real fast and said one of the side afect's has not went well with my body, and he "WAS SORRY" well i was gaining wight fast i went from a size 10 to a 18 in no time and i just kept going and he said it has caused me to retain water and he also said it has done some other things to me and now i'm at a size 24 and it hurts so bad. So please someone tell me what to do i'm so scared. And mad all at the same time.

------------------
Rebecca Toney

Old 09-12-2002, 01:43 AM   #10
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Cooki,
When I took Xenical,Medicaid wouldn't pay for it and my doctor didn't have samples.I lost weight using it,but had to stop because I couldn't afford to continue buying it.If your not having luck losing weight,you may want to talk to your doctor.

Thanks,
Jassy

Old 09-12-2002, 09:24 PM   #11

bird123 HB User
Some people are doing really good and lose a lot of weight after gastric bypass surgery. Some people are doing good but don't lose too much weight because they feel hungry all the time and can't keep themselves from eatting liquid food (like ice cream) all the time. Some people develop significant complications (anastomosis leak) and even die soon after the surgery. Laparoscopic gastric bypass usually has higher risks compared to open approach. I guess insurance would pay for the surgery if some of your medical diseases (for example, heart problems or lung disorder called obesity hypoventilation syndrome) are directly related to obesity.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:59 PM   #12

shellebelle HB User
What does it take for a surgeon to recommend gastric bypass? My mom's making noise about getting her stomach stapled. She's just over the line for obesity. She doesn't eat right and doesn't exercize, so I'm thinking that a surgeon will tell her to do her part before he does his.

Old 09-19-2002, 12:18 PM   #13
(female)

cooki HB User
Becca,
Im sorry that this new dr. has treated you so badly. I hope you find a new dr. who will treat you with respect, and understanding. Good luck!

Jassy,
Thank you for your reply I am going back to the dr. soon and we are going to discuss what is the next step for me. Thank you

Take Care
~Cooki

Old 09-29-2002, 09:28 AM   #14
Veteran

scbagrrrl HB User
Lightbulb

Becca,
From what you've said, it sounds like you might have a hormonal connection to the weight gain. There's a condition called PCOS - Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - it's pretty easy to diagnose with basic bloodwork. There's the body type of having the weight in the tummy/lower abdomen, tending to lose hair on the head while having heavier peach-fuzz on the face and the rest of the body. I was dx with it a little over a year ago - made some drastic diet changes - eliminating pasta, bread, sugar and diet sodas from my life. I now eat a modified Atkins-type diet - focusing on salmon and olive oil instead of bacon and butter that they profess. Dropped weight pretty effortlessly. I still crave those foods from time to time, but I learned that even "dabbling" with those foods leads to weight gain with me. I went off the diet for a week - didn't go "hog wild" but ate what a "normal" person would - staying under 1200 calories and working out daily and I still gained 12 lbs in a week. Realized it's not worth it to me. You can find info about PCOS by searching on google, etc. Read up and see if it fits you - you'll know immediately. There's no point in endangering your health by having such a drastic surgery when there are more reasonable solutions available.

Old 09-29-2002, 11:44 AM   #15

ChrisHozz HB User
Smile

I had gastric bypass surgery (open roux-en-y procedure) in March 1999 at 37 yrs of age. It is the BEST thing I ever did for myself! Since I had it, 4 people at work had it because of how well I did, and they all did great too. I weighed 292# (I'm female 5'5"). I had a weight problem since age 11 or so after being a skinny kid. I dieted on and off since age 12, anything from something sensible like Weight Watchers (4 times!) to almost total starvation where I almost passed out. I lost 130# in a little over 1 year of having the surgery. By no means did the loss of weight solve all my problems, but it definitely changed my life in only positive ways. Surgery is a big decision, and you need to research the surgeon well. I was lucky because I live in an area where we have a great surgeon with a very comprehensive program that includes a wonderful post-op support group and terrific follow-up care. I also had total support of family and friends, which was very helpful. I have minor problems that result from the surgery, like increased gas and change in hair/skin texture, but believe me well worth the results. I now wear a size 12 (I wore 24's and 26's pre-op). I never dreamed I would be able to wear a 12! Not to mention, I no longer have hypertension, and severe knee pain that I had before.
Whatever you decide to do, best of luck, and don't be afraid to consider surgery as an option if you are more than 100# overweight.

Closed Thread