It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

onnason HB User
Post Swollen Ankles/Edema Due to Obesity?

Hi -- I'm new to this part of the board, but I think here is where I need to be. I'm 5'2, 205 lbs. Like all of you, I've been on every diet imaginable. I did well on Atkins a couple of years back, but when I tried to pick it up again, I failed miserably and gained more weight. Was put on Paxil for anxiety (an SSRI) and gained even MORE weight. I'm now off the Paxil, so I'm hoping this will start the weight loss again.

My question -- does anyone suffer from swollen ankles and calves due to their weight? I'm a huge hypochondriac, and my doctor said that the swelling is from my weight, but I'm thinking it's something horrible like congestive heart failure. I should note I'm on blood pressure medication as well as a diuretic. Both, according to the doctor, are only necessary because of my weight.

Anyone with a similar story? Any comfort/support would be so much appreciated!

P.S. Joining WW at work program next week -- I keep telling myself that this will be THE LAST TIME I'll ever weigh this much. Hard to convince myself of that when I've been here so darned long....

Best to everyone -- thanks for your responses.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:28 AM   #2

nikki2kids HB User
Amarra, welcome. I don't know about the swelling because the only time I had was when I was pregnant with my second child. The best thing you can do is get a second opinion from another doctor and ask for a blood work up.

Good luck on WW. I've been on WW for two weeks now and lost 6.8 pounds. It works and I have never felt hungry or deprived. Best of luck. Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

all things HB User
Definately ~ I've had chronic swollen ankles clear up to my knees off an on for years.In the morning upon arising I would get backaches because the fluid would settle in the lower back during the night. I'd get severe headaches that I swear was caused from excess fluid in my brain. The cause (for me) is too many simple carbs, sugars and flour. When I eliminate these items and eat protein, vegetables etc. it clears up in a few days to weeks. Investigate Syndrome X and hyperinsulinemia. It's a real eye opener. You can get rid of the swelling without diuretics. Also not sitting for hours (like a desk job) is a help. The extra fat on the body acts like a tourniquet, cutting off normal circulation and lymph flow to the lower extremities. Get up and walk around a bit during the day if you have to sit too much. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #4

thumsclerk HB User
Amarra,

I totally agree with all things. I was a lot heavier than you (300+) and had a desk job and the swelling in my feet and lower legs was unbelievable! I could barely lace up my shoes! I was also on diuretics and HBP medication, but still had terrible swelling. After I cut out most carbs and sweets, I don't have the swelling anymore. When I first started my low fat, low carb diet, I lost 17 lbs in the first week, all water! I also found that walking helps a lot.

So, try not to worry that it's something horrible. Maybe try cutting out carbs and see if that helps.

Patti

Old 10-28-2003, 05:25 AM   #5
(female)

onnason HB User
Thank you so much for your responses. Since I posted, I've heard from other people to try to eliminate those (much loved) carbs! And I have noticed that sitting at my desk all day is when it's at its worst -- I noticed that over the weekend, while running around all day, NO swelling!

Patti, your post calmed me a lot -- I was happy to hear that you, too, were on BP meds and diuretics and still swelled. I thought something was terribly wrong, but everyone has put my mind at ease.

THANK YOU!

Old 11-10-2003, 03:10 AM   #6

peaches123 HB User
[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] I retain major water, feet and ankles and legs... the best way to get it off, I promise is to Drink more water found out my body thought I was starving it of water so it started hordeing it! so first drink one ounce per pound you weigh... good goal..hard to reach... then walk it off, circulate it... then at night... lay on your back and prop your legs up against the wall for 15 minutes... let it flow towards kidneys,,, sounds weird but works... got the advise from a real DR!.. Try it faithfull for 1 month and then write back and let me know how its working.
Peaches123
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarra
Hi -- I'm new to this part of the board, but I think here is where I need to be. I'm 5'2, 205 lbs. Like all of you, I've been on every diet imaginable. I did well on Atkins a couple of years back, but when I tried to pick it up again, I failed miserably and gained more weight. Was put on Paxil for anxiety (an SSRI) and gained even MORE weight. I'm now off the Paxil, so I'm hoping this will start the weight loss again.

My question -- does anyone suffer from swollen ankles and calves due to their weight? I'm a huge hypochondriac, and my doctor said that the swelling is from my weight, but I'm thinking it's something horrible like congestive heart failure. I should note I'm on blood pressure medication as well as a diuretic. Both, according to the doctor, are only necessary because of my weight.

Anyone with a similar story? Any comfort/support would be so much appreciated!

P.S. Joining WW at work program next week -- I keep telling myself that this will be THE LAST TIME I'll ever weigh this much. Hard to convince myself of that when I've been here so darned long....

Best to everyone -- thanks for your responses.
[FONT=Arial]

Old 11-14-2003, 10:37 PM   #7

Kthulah HB User
I get swollen very easily, and have used all the answers above for years and this has kept it at a minimum. When I was on the pill though, it was horrible. I was even swollen in my face and around my eyes.

Closed Thread