It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
(female)

annajordyn HB User
obese body odor

My husband is a very large man and he has always had an odor, even after his shower. I read up on it and it seems to be the moisture in the folds. Now that I know what causes it and how to control it, how do I tell him? I don't want to hurt his feelings, but the smell is definatly taking it's toll on our physical relationship. He is a very sensitive man and I am just not sure how to tell him about the smell and how to control it. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: obese body odor

He obviously is not bathing properly in the folds.

He needs to wash good, rinse well in the folds, dry with towel, dry with hairdryer in the folds and then apply Zeazorb-AF powder. Dead bacteria stinks no matter what unless it is removed from the skin.

A hand held shower head is the best way to rinse in the folds. If you don't have one, tell him "you" would like to have one and get it for you and encourage him to use it too.

I doubt there is a kind way of telling him, however, you could encourage him to do the above so he will be more comfortable and prevent getting a bacterial or fungus infection due to moisture and warmth. I have had bacteria and fungus under my tummy and the cracked raw skin is no fun to deal with. My dermatologist was so kind as to insist I lose weight so I did not have the problem!!

Best thing is to cook and serve smaller portions in order to help him lose weight. Never put bowls of food on the table, too easy to go back for seconds, thirds, etc. Serve plates, put leftovers in frig and then sit down for the meal. No food on the stove either to get seconds. Do not have snacks around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
(male)

Ripplemont373 HB User

Just left a post for another person with a similar problem, talking about my experience with a microsilver BG based deodorant that helps me control my bacteria-related odour. I use a product from Europe called LR, but there is a more local provider called Zyderma that uses the same ingredient.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
(female)

unbelievable79 HB User

I have weighted from 200 to 450 but am about 400 now. I was closer to 300 but had a accident and gain alot of weight back due to broken ankle and knee. My best friend almost like a sister who I just moved out felt it was NOW necessary to tell me our relationship was now distant because she could not stand my smell. Never heard this before or even was it mentioned it was an issue for 5 years I live with her. I am so hurt and sad I doubt I will ever get over this. She said it was like pungent rotting smell and I was overwhelming and nauseating. If I ever decide to venture out of my house again where do you get that special soap?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
(female)

malakoffmom HB User

What a gift your friend gave you. I can only imagine that, as hard as it was to hear, consider that it took her years to say it. That is because she cares so deeply for you!
Now that you know that it could be keeping people away, consider the recommendations in the previous posts. Showering daily using a removable shower head is a must. A soapy washcloth with a manly deodorant soap may be what you need to use in the folds. I have a few at 260 and this is what I have to be sure to do.
After showering and towel drying, get another hand towel and get into all of the folds. Then get a hair dryer and be sure those areas are really dry. A deodorant talc powder then can keep those areas dry and not sweaty. You will find that you are much much more comfortable. It is worth it!

My other recommendation is that your sheets and bedding are washed weekly (find a detergent formulated for odors) and your favorite sitting areas (including car) are Febreezed often. Any foul sweaty smells transferred to the fabrics need to go! You don't want to do all the work showering daily with all that routine and then go back to the areas that smell. If your shoes are an issue, get new ones and add odor eater inserts.

I hope I do not sound harsh. I had a good friend who passed away about 10 years ago. She had serious odor issues and I never told her. I bet she would have had more visitors if I had.

Thank your friend for the honesty, it could change your life if you do something about it.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
(female)

red65 HB User

I use Gold Bond Medicated powder and it works really well to block the moisture. My DH started having the same issues and so I tried to be really tactful. I first told him why I use it and then suggested that he could probably benefit from it as well because he works outdoors and sweats a lot. He brought up that he had been noticing an odor and wasn't sure what was causing it so I brought him up to speed. I was able to stay neutral and respectful while discussing it. I hope this helps.

It's not just an odor, it is basically a yeast infection of the folds and it breaks down the skin, the skin HURTS and can get bloody so an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
(female)

NettieMae HB User

My husband had this issue as well. It is actually a yeast-type infection. He takes 2 garlic capsules everyday and that has been doing wonders at clearing it up.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
(female)

marburg7 HB User

Little known military secret: wash the folds with Listerine and then antibacterial soap or baby shampoo to help get rid of odor and odor causing bacteria. Rinse well with a shower head than can be hand held.

Air dry or use a hair dryer.

Then apply a medicated powder of your choice such as Tinactin Powder (not the spray), Lotrimin Powder, Zeasorb, and a dash of baby powder on top. This will help keep the folds dry and odor free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annajordyn View Post
My husband is a very large man and he has always had an odor, even after his shower. I read up on it and it seems to be the moisture in the folds. Now that I know what causes it and how to control it, how do I tell him? I don't want to hurt his feelings, but the smell is definatly taking it's toll on our physical relationship. He is a very sensitive man and I am just not sure how to tell him about the smell and how to control it. Thanks for any advice.

The Following User Says Thank You to marburg7 For This Useful Post:
luca689 (05-06-2013)
Closed Thread