It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
(female)

mylife17 HB User
i'm extremely overweight what can i do ?

i'm extremely overweight what can i do ?

im am 5,6 280lbs,, i never go out side ,i eat every thing ,its really hard for me to exercise because i am extremely ob est , i get hot flashes and im only 17 years old .. i need help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: i'm extremely overweight what can i do ?

The first thing you can do is to realize that "you" are the only one that can make a change. Yes, I am also overweight, however, I am the only one that can do anything about it. I have to work on my mental attitude, decide I am worth it.

For starters I lost 65 lbs a few years ago by putting on an invisible zipper in closed position over my mouth when in presence of food other than at mealtime with a "normal" serving of 3 oz. lean meat and 2 green veggies 1/2 cup each, no soft drinks, juice, just water and plenty of it. When you feel hungry other than mealtime, drink glass of ice water and go on and do something else, get away from food. Learn to eat slowly at mealtimes, this gives the tummy time to tell the brain you have been fed.

Do not sit at the computer or TV all the time, get up and move, do something that keeps your body moving during the day.

Exercise is a must. Try walking a short distance, rest, walk further. Every day walk a little further until you can walk 3 miles each day.

Try walking 10 minutes before each meal and 1 hr after meals. This will help keep from gaining more weight.

You can do it!!! Get started now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

StephMA HB User

There's lots of overweight people out there. At 5'6" and 280 are a big person, but you can walk, you can drive, you can sit in a movie seat. Get out there ... dont' let your weight define you, because you are so much more than that.

Find some non-food hobbies, take a class, live your life and it will be easier to eat less and move more.

If you don't think you can do this, then ask your doctor for some help and maybe a referral to a therapist. It's possible that depression may also be part of your issue.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Go to the doctor and get a medical checkup, and get some blood tests for your thyroid. Your thyroid could be underactive, slowing your metabolism down. Start walking every day, do a little farther every day, drink lots of water. Cut out junk food, fried food, greasy stuff with empty calories. Start eating more fruits and vegetables, healthy cereals with 2% milk. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Tommy23 HB User

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwl... When i was your age i was also overweight, i was 260lbs! I went on a diet, and became a totally new person... I'm now 185 of solid muscle, and when i tell people they don't believe me! I know what its like to be overweight, it is so screwed up how people judge one on their looks. You simpley just have to educate yourself on diet and exersise! Its not easy, but it can be done. Im still a fat kid at heart, and years after being thin, i'm still haunted on how my life was, and how i was treated. Eating habits, are similar to drug habits, believe it or not. Two tasks i had to overcome lololol but i did! Hun just first educate yourself, and prepare yourself to look at eating in a diffrent way for awhile. What im basically saying is you have to diet, and exersise! Remember life is how you feel about yourself. good luck sweetie!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-02-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: please use language appropriate to this community

Old 02-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #6
(female)

trustintheLord HB User

I am learning that hot flashes have more to do with eating sweets/starchy foods than hormones--or they trigger a hormone response. I have been taking cinnamon in pill form (available in any vitamin section) and it really reduces my sweet cravings.
As far as weight reduction and overall diet--I think letting yourself eat whatever HEALTHY pure, unprocessed food you want is the answer. Once you start eating whole grains, veggies and meats your body will just automatically say, enough. This is opposed to a viscious cycle you put yourself on when you eat cookies, soda and chips---the chemicals released when you eat this junk food makes you want more.
I learned a lot of great tips through the Dr. Oz book, YOU, On A Diet---a informative but not your usual "diet" book. More like a biology book.
So tomorrow is a chance to aim for a healthy lifestyle and one you won't look back and regret.
Take Care and God Bless!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
(male)

Timmysimmy HB User

Try weight watchers-----I absolutely love it---feel like it is not a diet. I have lost 70 pounds in the last 5 months. And I did not exercise and I did not starve.

good luck

Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

Don't go on a diet. Change how you live and how you think about food and eating. Think of your new way of life as a way to love yourself, and if you love yourself you're going to take good care of yourself, right? I have found that the only way I have successfully maintained a healthy lifestyle and diet is by changing how I think. I stopped thinking of food as simply a reward and thinking of it as fuel. Just like you fuel your car, you must fuel your body. The better fuel (food) you put into yourself the better your body will run and the better you will feel.
Get whatever support you need, be it a therapist, nutritionist, support group and of course, these boards.
Take baby steps, change doesn't happen over night. Start learning about nutrition. Try a reliable source such as the American Heart Association, the Mayo Clinic or some such reputable source.
If it is hard to exercise, start small. Simple arm and leg raises to begin with.
But first and foremost see your doctor, you do not want to drastically change your diet and start exercising without making sure all is well. We would hate to have something happen to you!
I am talking too much. So Sorry.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
(male)

Timmysimmy HB User

I was a 425 lb male who has lost 75 pounds on the weight watchers program-------it is not a diet----it is not a diet--------of course you need to do all the stuff niknak said but if you are like most normal people you want to see results before you get discourged. <removed>

For lunch I had shrimp & crab pasta with a salad and toast.

For dinner we had meatloaf and green beans with toast

Does this sound like a diet?

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
(female)

Faithkeeper HB User

Honey, you can do EVERYTHING! Only YOU have the power to change your life if you want to! I am 5'6" and weigh 290 lbs. and I am much older than you. I keep very busy, and the more I move, the better I feel. I am working on losing weight, and yes, it IS hard, but totally do-able !

Start by drinking more water, which will fill you up and make you feel less hungry. Turn on some music and dance your heart out if that is what you enjoy! Walk on the spot, don't give up, go slow but keep going! Go outside for fresh air, even if you just walk around the yard. Also, find an activity that helps other people - it takes you away from your own problems and makes you feel productive and connected.

Remember, a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step! Go for it.....you deserve to have a wonderful life - start NOW! You know you can do this!

Closed Thread