It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

syw HB User
husband's boils under belly-help please

My husband gets things that look like big pimples under his belly in the crease where it starts to overhang (he's 5'11" 315 lbs down from 360). When he started losing weight they got much better- usually only one or two really small ones that go away on their own. But every couple of months he still gets a HUGE one that he says is really painful and it gets big and purple-ish/red.

I feel so bad for him when it happens, and it also inhibits our intimacy because we end up trying to avoid me rubbing against it or he even gets embarassed. He tries to lance them himself usually to no avail or gets some blood and watery stuff out of it, which I hate but he insists on doing. He has a really, really bad one right now but he is scared to go to the doctor for it.

I am trying to find advice about it online. Any help would be appreciated. Being smaller myself I have no experience to go on and want him to feel better! Anyone know how we can get these to go away?

Thank you so much!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: husband's boils under belly-help please

Please have your husband overcome his embarrasment, and go to the doctor. Doctor's have seen it all, and it won't bother him/her a bit. Letting it go could lead to infection, more pain and ulcerated skin. I bet the doctor can treat your husband quickly, effectively, and discreetly. Just think of the things us girls have to "show" our doctor's...encourage him gently and sweetly. Let the nurse know in advance that he is reluctant. Nurses and doctors are trained for just such visits,and are wonderful at making their patients feel comfortable. One visit could offer your husband immediate and ongoing relief from this common problem.

Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
(female)

syw HB User

Thank you, writeleft.

I think he will be willing to go (reluctantly) only because this time it's worse than ever for him. I will try to go along since he's upset (lots of bad experience with doctors berating him for being obese, which is why he hates doctors... understandable) but don't know if I can.

Should he go to a general practitioner or straight to a dermatologist? He is a teacher and hates taking time off, "losing precious time teaching," he says, so if going straight to the derm makes the process quicker he will be more willing to go. Has anyone had experience with this (not a yeast infection but these boil things)? Gone to a dermatologist?

In the meantime I'm trying to figure out what might help... warm compress? Cold pack? Any other type of over the counter? We know ointment and baby powder do nothing.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

My hubby does have one product that works for him, but it burns like heck when applied, so he stands in front of a fan right afterwards, till it dries.

It is made by B a n d - a i d, and it's a spray with a green cap, called Calamine spray, "external analgesic/skin protectant" which "dries weepy rashes". He had to try several drug stores to find it, but it does work.

Best to you, and your hubby.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

He needs an antibiotic for these to go away.

Closed Thread