It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User
Wanting Gastric Bypass

I am curious how does one go about starting the procedure to get Gastric Bypass? I am a Diabetic on Insulin and pills I have extreme high choletsterol and triglycerides and just watched my dad die because of his heart and being a Diabetic I am following in his foot steps the only difference is Im extremely overweight and have a two year old daughter that I want to be around to see grow up.. I just dont know how you go about getting approved for it and I heard it takes several months of therapy and things like that.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
(female)

strawberrymarg HB User
Re: Wanting Gastric Bypass

Denise98-
I am so sorry for your loss.

About your question... the process would start with your family doctor. You would let him know that you want to learn about the surgery and start the process of planning it. In the mean time look up and read about the surgery. (I looked up the lapband proceedure and ended up reading about all different types of weight loss surgery.) I decided about 3 weeks ago that I am going to have to consider surgery for weight loss.

I think that my insurance makes me be on a program with my doctor for 6 months before they will pay for me to have surgery. I am going to try to lose as much as I can without surgery, but I have decided that if after 6 months I still want surgery that I am going to do it, because at this point it is needed.

When I saw my doc he actually started me on Meridia, told me to go to Weight Watchers, and come back in a month. I am going to try anything and everything to lose weight for the next 6 months, and if I do not succeed, I am going to have surgery. (I also have high cholesterol, blood pressure, and am super dooper overweight.) And, I want to see my grandchildren grow up! My kids (not grandkids) are now 10, 8. 6, and one and a half.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread