It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

teenobesity HB User
Smile Teen Obesity

Teenagers are difficult to deal with due to some issues being of a more delicate nature when you approach them. Weight gain is one of them. My niece and nephew are "obese" teenagers and my whole family has tried to help my sister help her children.

An adolescent's self-esteem can be shattered so easily and one has to remember that when assisting them to look at their weight and potential health problems. Fad diets are not the answer and we don't feel that they should undergo surgery. We continue to help them to make good food choices and increase activity daily and pray for them.

Anyone else have ideas?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Teen Obesity

Often times, obesity is a symptom of an underlying issue...physical, environmental, or phychological.

I would start with a full medical workup, to rule out and glandular or other medical causes.

Is there anxiety/depression? This could be a cause and effect type thing that often accompanies obesity.

What environmental issues could be changed? What types and amounts of foods are served, and what activities do the children enjoy?

I am no expert in obesity, but I think a good nutritionist and a good doctor could help tremendously. Your love and support, of course, is the best thing of all...and it sounds like you have plenty of that!

Good luck to you all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

strawberrymarg HB User
Re: Teen Obesity

I would suggest having them go to their doctor and request a meeting with a dietician. A dietician can teach them about nurtition, their bodies, and plan meals, snacks, and self-monitoring of their intake.

If their mom hasn't done this already I would let her know that it is her responsibility as their mother to take them to the doctor and address this issue head on ASAP.

It would be tremendously wonderful if they could learn and conquer this now while they are teens, with support of family and not have to fight it alone their entire lives.

I hope that this helps.

Closed Thread