It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

jan1358 HB User
Gastric Band

I am a diabetic & have a BMI of 42. I also have Osteoarthritis in the bottom of my spine & in my knee, I have just had a arthroscopy, waiting to have injections in the knee. Have just been diagnose a hypothyroidism. I am on anti depressant's. My GP still wont refer me for a gastric band.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
(female)

catldyfromnpt HB User
Re: Gastric Band

check with your insurance to find out if you even need a referral. if you do, then tell them the problem and see what they say. or maybe this is the time to look into switching primary doctors? it doesn't sound as if he has your best interests in mind and its your body.. you shouldn't have to fight for something you want. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I don't mean this to be a joke, but you might want to find a new GP. There are many different surgeries in the US.

One of the newest is the MGB, Mini Gastric Bypass. You can do an internet search for the information.

Good luck.

wb

Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
(male)

jman53 HB User

I had Gastric By Pass 3 years ago

My orginal G P kept telling me I needed to lose 100 lbs to get myself under controll
So one day after researching The Band ,I said Doc I have the answer Lap Band .
He says I don't refer to Surgery, might lose my practise
I said you Hypocrit you just lost a patience .

Found the best G P i have ever had went for Lap Band at Duke, My surgeon talked me into Gastric B/C of all my serious health Problems at that time .

So don't let one GP slow you down toward better health

GO FOR IT !

Last edited by jman53; 07-09-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan1358 View Post
I am a diabetic & have a BMI of 42. I also have Osteoarthritis in the bottom of my spine & in my knee, I have just had a arthroscopy, waiting to have injections in the knee. Have just been diagnose a hypothyroidism. I am on anti depressant's. My GP still wont refer me for a gastric band.
Just to be clear --

Will he not refer you for the gastric band? Or will he not refer you for any gastric procedure?

If you are specifically asking for the band and he's saying no, that might be a very different issue than asking for a gastric surgery and him saying no. My neighbor works for a doctor as the person who greets you and takes your co-pay. He does not want his patients to get a band but will support a couple of other choices. He won't suggest it. You have to ask.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
(female)

cycarroll2000 HB User

Hello!

I had the lap band surgery on September 16, 2009. I am 130 overweight, my BMI is a 44, I am a diabetic, and I have high blood pressure. I went to my follow - up appointment to see my GI and she recommended gastric surgery. She told me that if I don't get this weight off that I will die young and she told me that I am too young to have diabetes and high blood pressure. My isurance would not pay for the gastric surgery so I went the lap band route. I am appealing my isurance decsion by writing a statement and I had my primary care doctor and my GI write letters to the committee that will decide if they will pay for it. My primary care doctor wanted to put me on prescription diet pills and I told her NO!

I first went to a seminar and filled out paper work and I had to wait but I started to call and bug them because they had lost my paper work and then they found it. Then I saw a NP and then they set me up with a mental evaluation then I had to go to a lifestyle class. This is all required to be able to have the surgery. Support groups are extra, which I am thinking about going once I feel better from surgery. You have to do a 2 week pre - op diet and it was not easy at all.

I hope this information helps. Don't give up because I didn't and since the pre -op diet and until now I have lost a little over 10 lbs. Take care!

Cindy

Old 10-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
(female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User

Sounds to me that your probs are nutritional. I have recently lost a lot of weight through being unwell. It turns out I have a gluten intolerance that has caused magnesium deficiency.Diabetes and oestoarthritis are linked to this.The doctors are looking at the symptoms, not the cause. Try cutting out all wheat, barley, oats and rye and taking magnesium and see if you feel better, but professional help from someone who understands would be best. Good luck.

Closed Thread