It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

Amy26 HB User
Getting Pregnant when Obese?

Hi there, I am having some issues conceiving and at this point I'm not sure if its because I'm obese or if its because I'm infertile... of course only a GYN could tell me that.

I'm struggling with the idea of getting pregnant at this point. I have been overweight since I was about 6. My entire family is very heavy and my father's sister and her children are all morbidly obese and one has had gastric bypass... its almost like I was meant to be overweight. I can gain 5 pounds in one day just from eating like a "normal" thin person would eat. I think I'm around 325 at the moment... and I disgust myself. I've never been this heavy before.

I have gone up and down a bit ... like a lot of you done the fad dieting and such... but it got really bad last year when I met my now husband. He is from another country and I got a job offer there and I left for my life overseas... well, my work permit kept getting delayed and we did nothing but sit around the house doing nothing because we had no income. Not to mention Danish people eat the most fatty foods ever... so, I gained a lot of weight while I was there sitting on my butt for 6 months.

I'm back in the states and married now... and now we want kids. We've been trying for about 3-4 months with no luck yet. I'm unsure if its a good idea to lose weight first and then get pregnant or get pregnant now and try to lose the weight later. It scares me to get any bigger from pregnancy but I'm wondering if, since I'm already so overweight, should I not have to gain any weight from pregnancy?

Also, does obesity make you less fertile? I started taking prenatal vitamins but not sure what else I can do. I was on birth control for most of my adult life mostly due to trying to regulate my periods. I have horrible periods that last for 10 days and I bleed sooooo much. So, being off my birth control now is driving me crazy because my periods are just not fun.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Amy26; 09-22-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

Amy26 HB User
Re: Getting Pregnant when Obese?

Wow not one comment out of over 100 reads?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

I have heard that your weight can affect your fertility, also you may not need to gain weight during your pregnancy.

Also, there is something called PCOS that causes infertility,and obesity and irregular periods. Maybe you could get that checked.

I don't know your age, but if you are under 30, you shouldn't worry for a year.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
(female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Women who are too heavy or too thin have a harder time getting pregnant . It can interfere with ovulation.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

HopeImLucky HB User

Hi Amy26,
I don't know if you have continued or not but your story sounds similar to mine.

I've recently lost about 65 pounds but I'm still overweight, but luckily my Dr. said I've lost enough to do IVF.

To the point... I had 9-10 day periods and very heavy bleeding. I have had every kind of blood-work done and everything comes back positive in all normal ranges. I'm the picture of health except that I'm over weight.

This past month, while preparing for IVF I had an HSG and everything looked great. Then moving to next step, I had an SHG... and OH NO!!... I have an inter-unterine Fibroid! I couldn't believe that in all these years, and all my medical check-ups no one had ever figured this out. I never suspected or even thought to research this.

A lot of women with Inter-uterine fibroids have longer periods, and unexplained bleeding between periods. I would have unexplained 'pinches' or pangs and not know why.

The day after my Dr. found the fiboid, I had surgery to remove it and he also found a polyp which was removed.

The Dr. said that this could clearly explain why I haven't been pregnant because the fibroid tumor was taking up so much of my uterus, there wouldn't have been anywhere for a fertilized egg to attach (if the sperm even had room to get up to the released egg.)

Anyway. Since the surgery I feel so much better.
We're doing IVF this month with retrieval and transfer early in Nov.

So, what I'd recommend is having a SHG (Sonohysterogram).

Last edited by HopeImLucky; 10-29-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
(female)

cate81 HB User

yes it can i was 280 or so and never got preg i then went to the gym and lost alot of weight 175 or so and i was on birth contol and still got preg the doctor said it was the weight never give up and if god wants it to be it well be but u have to do the foot work and just have faith ill pray for u because i know i have been there and the blessing of my child was well worth getting fat again now im over 300 but being fat is better then birth contol lol

Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
(female)

sjb81 HB User

Weight can affect fertility.

If you do become pregnant, look on the bright side: you will only need to gain about 10 lbs to susain the pregnancy and THEN you can focus on losing the weight after you have a baby.

It's suggested to lose at least 10% of your weight, if you're overweight, before trying to conceive.

When I was pregnant I was overweight. I gained about 17 lbs and was then diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I followed the diet plan set by my endocrinologist and in my 3rd trimester I lost about 7 lbs just by eating better. In the end, my total weight gain was about 10 lbs.

I wish you the best!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
(female)

aloharuiz HB User

It's true that when you're obese, there is more risks to pregnancy. Aside from difficulties of bearing the child, the child may develop complications inside her mother's womb. Try trimming down your weight in the course of your pregnancy to ensure your baby's health.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
(female)

xbeautifulme27x HB User

i am morbidly obese and me and my hubby have been ttc for about 5 years now sadly i have came 2 terms with if God wants us to have a baby He will bless up with 1 no matter what the doctors say! My bestfriend is morbidly obese also and she just had her 2nd child 4 months ago. but unlike me she has always had normal or regular periods..mines are so irregular! i am 5'6 325lbs and my bestfriend is 5'11 375 lbs so im know that it is up 2 God if i will be blessed with a baby!

Closed Thread