It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
(female)

Chris931 HB User
Can't lose and I'm out of ideas

Here's my story. I was overweight my whole life. Reached a peak of 343 lbs at age 31 (about 8 years ago). Joined Weight Watchers and lost 170 lbs over 2 years. I maintained that weight for over a year and then had back surgery for a herinated disk in 2004.
I needed about 6 months for rehab so I gained about 10 lbs but I wasn't worried because I knew I could lose it again.

However, I have been unable to lose anything since then. Following a health plan and exercise, I can only struggle to maintain my weight. If I go off my eating plan, I gain crazy amounts and then can't lose it. I am not up to 264 lbs.

I have tried Medifast and Atkins...no luck. I have been to 4 nutritionists and 4 endocrinologists... no luck. I have just completed a 9 month weight loss program at a holistic program.. no luck.

I do have some thyroid issues and I take Nature's Thyroid. With the medication, my blood levels are normal.

I work out a lot. I do Tae Kwon Do and I spent 9 months training for a 5K which I completed this weekend.

Any ideas???? Suggetions??

Thanks.
Christine

Old 10-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
(male)

helptheworld HB User
Re: Can't lose and I'm out of ideas

This is my suggestion. You want to loose weight trully. Eat one bowl of rice in the morning at 700am. Eat a bumbee tuna and crackers(Walmart has them) at 1000am and the same at 200-400pm. Eat one final meal before 700pm that is healthy that is proportioned for example one pork chop, mash potato and gravy and a half can of vegetables of your choice. Drink water only. One soda during the week. Same meal each day with exception the last meal can vary as long as you keep as a meat, vegetable and starch. This will keep you full and will let you loose weight. Now, you will need to walk a morning mile. Slowly build up the mile. Then, the rest of the day you can do any other exercise you would like. This is my suggestion. You have to creat a patern and stick with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
(female)

NotAnotheDiet HB User

Don't rely on fad diets and also remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're working out and training as you said, some of that weight gain is going to be good weight through the muscle, which you don't want to lose, I should think!
However, if you're determined, you know that you can do it! You've already done it once and that's a phenominal amount, so you should be proud and you KNOW that you've done it once- that's the hard part! Just keep at it, drink lots and lots of water, or sugarfree squash if you don't fancy it. You obviously already know what you need to do and it's just sticking to your plan thats the problem. I work around it by not having snack foods in, ready preparing my meals and stuff (I know this is difficult if you have a family and everything, but it might help). I have to admit, I wouldnt recommend the sme meal everyday. I tried this and I got so bored of it I ended up binging on stuff I knew I'd like. Liquid diet was good for me. Low fat soups and stuff.
Good luck!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
(female)

cate81 HB User

hi i feel the same but i yoyoed my whole life until i had my baby omost 3 years ago lol my doctor gave me a great diet would u like to try it just let me know

Old 04-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Go back to Weight Watchers. They helped you before and they can help you again. It is the sanest and healthiest way to lose weight. And go to the meetings.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

model1979 HB User

i would not suggest weight watchers as this does not teach one how to eat.Jenny Craig worked wonders for my weight loss. i lost a few (we cant say numbers here) pounds but did learn how to eat properly. this diet uses % to include carbs fats and proteins in ur daily meals. WW only uses points. people tend to gain once they go off WW.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
(male)

mikeybucs HB User

Count your calories. Nothing else works. I'm 6'5" and weigh just over 200 pounds. I eat about 1800 calories per day (not much, but enough to stay full). This enables me to lose a steady 3/4 of a pound each week. I don't eat anything without knowing the nutritional content. No exceptions.

Here are some tips that I've used to manage my weight over the years. Don't eat any fast food ever. That stuff is pure garbage. Don't drink anything with calories in it. Consult with your doctor and consider taking appropriate vitamins (I take a multivitamin, calcium with D, Omega 3/fish oil, B12, and C). Eat at least 40 grams of fiber per day (Fiber One bars are phenomenal -- I eat two every day for breakfast). Minimize sugar, saturated fat, and sodium. Get some moderate exercise (about half an hour daily), and you're home free.

People eat too much, and they generally have no idea exactly how much they eat. Over time, that extra 500 calories per day is the difference between maintaining a normal weight and being obese. Sacrifice and vigilance are required to make sure you stay on track. Maintaining a healthy weight is like fighting an endless series of battles in a war that never ends. If you ever feel yourself slipping, just repeat the old adage, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." That is the absolute truth. Good luck to you!

Mikeybucs

Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
(female)

dupee1 HB User

I had the same problem after my back surgeries and finally used NutriSystem.
Like you, I had a lot of trouble losing the weight until I did NutriSystem and
got control back.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello Chris
I think you should go back to Weight Watchers again. I agree with the fact that it worked really well for you once so you should go back. I think their program with the exercise you are doing would be a win, win situation. Maintaining for a year and still having a good portion of your weight off after back surgery shows you are in some control. You just need some help to gain a stronger control and it seems WW you respond well to because you have to weigh in every week and answer to somone. Good Luck and remember the successful people in this world are the ones who keep trying.
God Bless
Mulchie

Closed Thread