It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: Is Gastric Bypass the answer for a Mom who is quite obese?

Personally I see it more as a tourniquet than a band aide.

As stated by another poster, any good facility is doing counseling as they work through the process for surgery. That continues with support groups and dietitians and such after the surgery too.

Granted, if you are 20 I would strongly suggest you go for all of the therapy and get to the root cause before you consider anything drastic. But by your mid-50's you are burning daylight if you don't at least consider the choice if the surgical option is available for you. Hips, knees, diabetes, hbp, all of the medical problems can be resolved in days to months if you have surgery. If you go the therapy route alone, you need much longer. And a lot of people do not have that time.

Again, I'm not saying don't do the therapy. I'm just saying it can be done in concert with the surgery.

OP: This of course is all contingent upon your Mom considering this option. I would love to know if she's willing to open herself and attend some of the seminars. Initially there's a lot of fear. And you do have to deal with the "easy way out crowd". But I hope she considers it. I am and the more I investigate I find it's more about having it done at the right place than anything else.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #17
(female)

hreshtag HB User

Personally I've lost about 65-70 lbs. through just diet and very minimal exercise.. I gained some back recently, but still.. everyone can, even gastric bypass patients.. I know 1 person who did that, and she almost died. She was otherwise healthy, young, but ended up spending about 4 months in a hospital. She's okay now, but.. might not have been. The risk is always there, but the alternative is safer, to just diet and exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
(female)

tracijo67 HB User

I had gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago, at the age of 36. I was generally healthy, but weighed close to 300 pounds and had a few co-morbidities related to my weight. I felt very healthy and blessed my good fortune in having the surgery during the "honeymoon" phase of weight loss, more weight loss, and yet more weight loss no matter what I ate or did/didn't do. Now, 5 years later, I have kept all of the weight off and have a so-called 'normal' BMI. I am also very anemic, with deficiencies in B & D vitamins, and although I'm only 42 I feel decades older than that: weak, rickety, fatigued, sore, depressed, and damn tired. I've been taking Vitron-C as well as other iron supplements, calcium citrate, B-12, multivitamins. My body simply doesn't absorb enough of the supplements and absolutely NONE of the nutrients in food.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have chosen nutritional counseling and a medically supervised diet. It wouldn't have been easy, but then, I'd rather live in an overweight body (remember: I mentioned that I had very few health problems prior to having WLS) than one that is chronically unhealthy. I am beyond tired of this. Of the transfusions, the temporary foothold in regaining some vitality, only to spiral back down into the never-ending cycle of fatigue and muscle spasms and crippling palpitations that mark the beginning of yet another trip to the lab and yet more painful infusions and injections.

<edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-12-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Please respond in a supportive and respectful manner to other posters.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

If you are considering gastric surgery, look into the gastric sleeve. I'd strongly recommend that no one have the gastric bypass without at least researching and considering the gastric sleeve. It's more involved, a more complex surgery initially and has a slightly longer healing time. But you do not have the issues of mal-absorption of vitamins and minerals. A lot of gastric experts will try to push you away because it has what is considered less of a success rate. Instead of losing 100 pounds a patient might only lose 85. But if that small difference does not bother you, it's a very different result as far as your body is concerned. Your digestive tract is left in place, just drastically reduce the amount of food you can take into your body.

It's unfortunate but a lot of gastric places are gunning to have the best metrics so they can say their program is the best. Rather than doing what's right for the patient, they want the best numbers. If you go to get gastric surgery and you feel like it's all about what they want, and not what's best for you, find another place.

And I will also add that at 40 I had no problems due to my being overweight. At 50+ it's a whole different story.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-20-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

tracijo -

Your post has stuck with me. I don't know if you will see this but I was wondering if you knew that a gastric bypass can be "taken down". If you live in a large city area, it should not be too difficult to find a surgeon who has experience with undoing the by-pass. It's the one huge advantage to the bypass over the gastric sleeve. And as young as you still are and with the issues you are having, it sounds like you would be a idea candidate to be reversed.

Just wanted to put the idea out there since it's an option.

Closed Thread