HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obesity (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obesity/)
-   -   Is Gastric Bypass the answer for a Mom who is quite obese? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obesity/732488-gastric-bypass-answer-mom-who-quite-obese.html)

ellinas 01-23-2010 09:22 PM

Is Gastric Bypass the answer for a Mom who is quite obese?

At 54 years old, my mother is very obese. We love her very much and support her through her decisions in life; however, she needs to desperately lose weight and become healthy. I would like to see her shed the weight so that she can enjoy her life and do things without having the strain of her excessive body weight. No one in my family is as overweight as she is, and I feel she is embarrassed by how she looks. It makes me cry some days. I really want to help her.

This is where I need [B]YOUR HELP[/B]: Please, tell me all you know about the Gastric Bypass surgery -- complications, positives, negatives, expenses, dieting, food and anything else correlated to gastric bypass patients.

I really appreciate any feedback and thank you in advance.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

AnnD 01-23-2010 10:01 PM

Re: Is Gastric Bypass the answer for a Mom who is quite obese?

I am sorry for how you feel and not be able to do anything about it and truly you can't do anything. So much goes into becoming obese that first your mom would need to find out why or how she got this way. Has she had a medical exam and a psychiatric review? Those things need to be done before you even think of surgery of any kind. There is a reason people gain weight and your mom needs to know the reasons before it would do any good to do surgery. And you have said how you feel about her weight ...but she needs someone to tell her story to. We all have stories to tell and perhaps something has happened along the way of her life and she needs to speak with a professional about it. If she is sad/depressed then take her to a doctor. If she is okay with herself right now then just love her.

ellinas 01-24-2010 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=AnnD;4169736] Has she had a medical exam and a psychiatric review? .... If she is sad/depressed then take her to a doctor. If she is okay with herself right now then just love her.[/QUOTE]

I do appreciate the time you took to write the reply; however, I don't feel that is the right answer. I am a professional - although not in the medical field - and don't feel that "just loving her" is enough. This is a serious health factor that she needs to take care of. At times she is depressed, and really, I cannot blame her. She is not psychotic.

What are some steps she can take with regard to the surgery?

Anyone?

AnnD 01-24-2010 10:51 AM

I am sorry that you absolutely misunderstand mental health counseling ...there are reasons for addictions and that is why you can't really help her...you can only suggest she get medical/mental health help. If her medical health is ok and there isn't some underlying thyroid or other diseases that contribute to weight gain then the next step is mental health counseling to see why she eats so much. So... yes just loving her is about all you can do for anyone with addictions. Did you think she doesn't know she is overweight...she knows that she is overweight and perhaps is shameful or maybe not ....it is your job as her daughter to just love her and try to understand why she got to this point. She has a life/thoughts that you as her daughter are not privileged to no matter how you see it. You describe the physical aspects of your mom but you don't mention her mental state...and that is the most important information you don't have. I guess I would have to ask how have you been treating her? are you embarrassed by her? Do you talk to her about it? Addictions are very difficult and your mom needs the professional help you don't see. Good luck.

ellinas 01-24-2010 12:05 PM

Again, what are some steps she can take with regard to the surgery? That WAS my initial question.

I would like to know about the surgery and speak to anyone who has been through the experience.

[B][I]
Please leave all other comments/elaborations/false assumptions out of this thread.
[/I][/B]

Rhonni 01-29-2010 02:57 PM

I had Gastric Bypass surgery 6 weeks ago. All the mental health counseling in the world wasn't going to change the fact that I needed to lose weight and lose it quick before I suffered permanent health consequences or worse, death.

I am not quite your mom's age, but close.
I can tell you the surgery is the best thing I ever did.
There's so much to research on it and I could go on and on forever answering all the questions you had. But what you should know is that like with every procedure/process - there's good and bad and people run the range of everything. Some (most) have good outcomes, some have bad outcomes. Some go fanatical and put tons of money into their foods, supplements, etc, and some don't and so on.

<edited>

I will check back here if you should have any questions I can answer from my own personal experience.

bbbbbau 02-01-2010 12:15 AM

Your mother needs to control her portion intake and get appropriate exercise.

Exercising means continuously moving her body around for at least 30 minutes per day.

The more you and her can be honest about this, the better her chances are of surviving.

catnap67 02-24-2010 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=ellinas;4170042]Again, what are some steps she can take with regard to the surgery? That WAS my initial question.

I would like to know about the surgery and speak to anyone who has been through the experience.

[B][I]
Please leave all other comments/elaborations/false assumptions out of this thread.
[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

hi
i had the surgery in 2005. it has its ups and downs. i have lost a whole person plus some. i look good in clothes but i dont feel i look good without clothes. with all the sagging skin. i feel as though i look old. i have had 3 hernia's and i need iv iron because my body does not hold vita's. if you ask me surgery is not for everyone and is a personal choice. you have to be willing to do the work it is only a tool to help someone through weight loss. not a cure! if you ask me if i would do it all over again or if it was worth it. for me yes i would. but your mom has to feel good and want it. it is a lot of work. also it can be dangerous.
she needsto find a good morbid obesity dr. and speak with them. they will work with her.
you need to be open minded and respect your mom for her decisson. weigh is a personal battle. it is an addition. and that needs to be addressed as well. best of luck. my prayers are with your mom i know how she feels.

sk84life 03-01-2010 02:08 PM

Most bariatric surgeons offer information seminars. You and your Mom can attend together or she could go with someone else or alone. There are specific web sites/support forums, personal experiences people have had with specific surgeons (the process and aftercare.)

Sometimes, her personal physician can be a real encouragement, may know your Mom from a different perspective than you, and the suggestion coming from her doctor may have more impact. Her doctor may not feel surgery is appropriate for your Mom.

I highly recommend finding 1-3 seminars in your area that your Mom could attend. It may help her to see she is not alone, many others face the problem, all ages and health conditions. It is not uncommon for exercise and some diet changes during the initial evaluation can motivate someone to stay with those modalities rather than proceed to surgery. She may be willing to just try it for a few months and see how it goes with the great support network these groups have.

If she is totally not interested, hearing it from you, then you could make an appt. with her doctor for yourself to see what else can be done.

If surgery is planned, she will be having multiple tests done for sleep apnea, cardiac, etc. These are time consuming but provide a great deal of information prior to surgery. This will be explained at the seminar.

Obviously you care about your Mom very much!

Misty800 03-05-2010 03:38 PM

One of the best gifts your mom could give herself would be to eat like a Gastric Bypass person must eat after surgery. She might be amazed how much weight she will lose and not have to go thru the actual surgery.

This is only a suggestion, I am considering it for myself.

engineer1961 03-05-2010 08:35 PM

I work in a hospital (as a social worker) and honestly our patients have to go through extensive counsleing BEFORE they are even considered for GB surgery.

<edited>
....I'm sure you just wish for your mother to be happy but maybe just getting her to go out for walks with you or talking a nutritionional cooking class together would make you BOTH healthier..and happier!!
Freedome of speech is a wonderful thing :)

Allisonartist 05-10-2010 01:21 AM

Dearest Ellinas,
I feel for you so much. I have been grossly obese until the last three years and I only get a glimpse of the pain it caused my son sometimes.
Personally -I have three friends who have had some sort of surgical procedure to deal with their morbid obesity, and although it worked short-time, the underlying reasons why they got to big and couldnt stop eating stuff that made them that big were never dealt with. They all ended up putting ALL the weight back on PLUS !!! These are the hidden statistics that you dont hear of. They found ways to fuel the cravings for the food they couldnt stop eating
I have been to shrinks, commercial diet clubs, protein drinks, prepackaged meals, nutritionists, acupunctionists, natrapaths, obesity clinics etc etc etc
HOn, your Mum is probably a food addict and she probably doesnt WANT to stop eating...what addict wants to put their drug down.

Encourage her to find a way to deal with the reasons she is hurting herself in such a subtle way.

I found Food Addicts in recovery Anonymous the ONLY thing that has ever helped on all the levels that had me obese. I have a kind of allergy to certain foods. They make me intensely hungry. I have an emotional dependency on food and I have a fearful and insecure way of moving through life that becomes intolerable and I find myself wanting to numb on the food. I was defenseless until I found skills and tools in FA (Like Alcholics Anonymous -its free)
So look after yourself. You will need skills if you are in a relationship with someone who is active addiction (Like alanon (you dont have to be the relative of an alcholic -just an addict)
I hope this helps. I wish I could send you my photos to show you the miracle that I have NEVER been able to achieve. I have lost 220 lbs and kept it off for two years!!!!!
take care
Allison

resolution09 05-15-2010 05:25 PM

I completely agree with the idea of going to the free seminars. It will get all of your questions answered and help you to decide what facility you might want to use. (This is assuming that she agrees.) If you approach this is the correct way, I think you might get her to be open to considering the surgery.

Does your Mom use the web? Another possibility would be to get her to register on a site dedicated to folks who have has some sort of bariatric surgery. She could develop a community where she can privately ask questions she might not want to run past you.

Also, I personally already know about 20 people who have had different surgeries...co workers, friends, family members. All have had differing levels of long term success but none of them have gained all of their weight back. 3 or 4 are at the point where I'd say they've gained about 50%, but it's been over several years and they had lost close to the 200 pound range so they've still lost about 100 pounds so it's hard to see that as not worth while!

Good luck. Hopefully your Mom is already thinking of a solution and this will just help her get the program going.

One more thought: Look into the Gastric Sleeve. It's an excellent option. The bypass isn't the only choice and it may not be the right solution for her. But that doesn't mean another option won't be.

resolution09 05-15-2010 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Misty800;4198440]One of the best gifts your mom could give herself would be to eat like a Gastric Bypass person must eat after surgery. She might be amazed how much weight she will lose and not have to go thru the actual surgery.

This is only a suggestion, I am considering it for myself.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with it. I managed for 18 month. Lost a huge amount of weight. But without altering the size of my stomach I lived with constant hunger. If you can over come that for the rest of your life, you are a far stronger person than I.

Allisonartist 05-16-2010 06:44 AM

Hi dear Ellinas,
Gastric banding or any other surgery doesnt address WHY your mum (or anyone else) has got that big. It is a band-aid. It treats the symptom, not the reason.
The only thing I have tried that worked was to accept I was in fact a Food addict and then deal with the addiction, the vast weight then came off a day at a time.
But ultimately the only thing you can really do -yourself...is to make sure you are looking after YOU!. IF you learn to look after yourself -maybe she will be inspired to start to learn to self care.
You could try ringing a meeting near you and see if there was someone who might take her to a meeting -or at least chat to her to give her hope.
<edited>
take care
Allison