It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

fatnick HB User
Can't wipe myself

Hi, I'm new.

I'm a shorty at only 5 foot 2, weight 397 pounds, with a BMI of 73.

I have many problems, but toileting at the moment is my biggest problem. I simply can't reach, front or back.

I have up to 6 bowel motions a day, soft to diarrhea. I have no other option but to shower after each, use a hand held shower hose on turbo and hope for the best.

After urinating, I tend to just drip and dry, as I already have so many showers and being on a disability pension I can't afford the utility costs. I get recurrent urinary track infections.

My thighs are so close together and belly so big and low, that I can't use the bottom wiper stick as you need to use it from the front.

I worry I'll be put in a nursing home soon as I can't afford to have carers come in.

Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas...

Cheers Nick

Last edited by fatnick; 04-29-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
(male)

quinnman HB User
Re: Can't wipe myself

hi nick
sorry to hear about your problem , I had the same problem , I changed my diet eating nothing larger than my palm of my hand cutting out all carbs and fatty or greasy food and sugar , using small quantites of honey in a short time i lost 15kg many more to go and I will continue to lose weight with simple leg raisies arm raisies etc , its the start which is hard but you have to want to do it . Also get professional help , they;ve seen it before and they will help you, best of luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-08-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I would do a web search for possible help aids for this. They have aids to help get you out of bed, hold an eating utensil after a stroke, etc. So I figure there is some kind of aid that might help.

And you may choose to install a bidet (that thing that puts a stream of water) in your bathroom.

Good hunting.

wb

Old 05-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

What causes the urinary track infections? Is that a danger of not being able to reach?

For the rump part, when I was in college I worked the summer caring for a man who'd been shot in the spine. He was a mess in every possible way. (Physically and very, very grumpy. Joy to work for...) Well, he was able to stand, just not strong enough to walk.
Now this is graphic, but a problem is problem and a solution is a solution. He purchased a dozen cheap towels. He'd put towels on the corner of his bed and basically wipe himself using the corner of the bed, using the towel which had a safety sheet under it. At the end of the day he's wash the load (or me) with soap and bleach. Otherwise he was able to shower for a real daily clean.

I don't know if a method like this would help you. He was thin and was doing it, due to a lack of fine motor control with his arms and legs.
But he had basic strength so it worked for him. I didn't mind washing them up. It really wasn't that gross. It may be that you don't have the strength but a suggestion in case you do.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

CS7 HB User

Hi,
I worked in a hospital where we were able to order such a thing. Do a search on the internet for 'toilet wiping aid' and you should come up with quite a few things. You should also be able to get one at a medical supply store. Good luck to you.

oops sorry i didnt read the last couple of lines. disregard as you have already tried that.. but i would be surprised if they didnt have something like that out there that you can use from the back...

Last edited by CS7; 06-27-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

decboom HB User

I know how you feel and iam taller and weigh more, but here's what i found to work.

I purchased these wipes called Fresh n up from walmart - they are large wipes and they cost about 2.50 a package of 48.

i wipe as well as i can and wash my hands in the bathroom.

i go to my room and close the door and i make sure i have a plastic bag like you get from the store.

i lie down on my side and i wipe myself with the wipes until there is nothing left. i usually use two or three wipes. i feel clean and fresh and confident afterward.

you can only use this routine at home, but it sure works and I can tell ya, there's nothing like having a clean bottom.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-16-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
(male)

smithesque HB User

Could you have a bidet installed?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Jimmycolleen HB User

You need to lose weight fast. You haven't mentioned any medical conditions, so I'm assuming that you don't have any hormonal imbalance. Start with a fruit diet. Ensure that your calorie intake is not more than 1200 per day. Within three weeks you'll see results. After that you'll be able to go for regular exercises and that will help you lose more weight

Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

xdunlapx HB User
Lightbulb Re: Can't wipe myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnick View Post
Hi, I'm new.

I'm a shorty at only 5 foot 2, weight 397 pounds, with a BMI of 73.

I have many problems, but toileting at the moment is my biggest problem. I simply can't reach, front or back.

I have up to 6 bowel motions a day, soft to diarrhea. I have no other option but to shower after each, use a hand held shower hose on turbo and hope for the best.

After urinating, I tend to just drip and dry, as I already have so many showers and being on a disability pension I can't afford the utility costs. I get recurrent urinary track infections.

My thighs are so close together and belly so big and low, that I can't use the bottom wiper stick as you need to use it from the front.

I worry I'll be put in a nursing home soon as I can't afford to have carers come in.

Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas...

Cheers Nick
I'm in the same situation you are. I'm now 363 pounds (down from 372). I use the Ideaworks Long Reach Comfort Wipe. It's supposed to be used from the front but there is no way I can do that with my belly being there. So I use it from behind. I put wet paper towels on it and hold the reaching device in the middle so I have more leverage and use it from behind, leaning forward a bit to allow room for movement. Once I'm mostly clean (from using damp/wettish paper towels) I then use another one to scrub (up and down motions) my whole area back there, from the perineum to above the anus to make sure I'm all good and clean there.

The handle of the reaching device sometimes hits the back of the toilet and releases the paper towel into the toilet, but most of the time I can use it and it doesn't do that. Good luck. I highly recommend the Longreach Comfort Wipe. I've tried one other reaching/toileting device and it sucked. It's the most common one. It's either blue or tan and shaped like an "L". The paper doesn't stay on the device when using it. It's a waste of $40.. That's for sure. But the Longreach device has a rubbarized head and handle. The paper stays on very well on the head of the device. It's much cheaper than the L shaped one. Good luck! I wish you the best.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-11-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
(female)

aponder HB User

I also am short, I am able to wipe in my bathroom and some store bathrooms depending on height of commode. Get a large towel or fabric u don't like or will not use again wet it, and place between legs grab both ends and pull between buttocks. This is how I dry myself out of the shower it could work for wiping too. Throw rag away. in a public restroom just carry some with you and a plastic back to throw away in.

The Following User Says Thank You to aponder For This Useful Post:
Manatee31 (08-22-2012)
Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
(male)

fitness16 HB User

have you tried any medication.... if yes what sort of ?

Closed Thread