It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
(male)

admiraldinky HB User
huge unexplained weight gain

Hi i dont know what to do at this stage
i was very very slim my whole life untill 2 years ago,
then i started to put on weight
my immediate thought was cut out junk foods, which i did, but the weight continued to balloon on

i find myself eating less food per day now than i did when i was very slim, and im still putting on the weight

i seem to have a very bad allergic reaction to many foods including onion, yeast, bread etc

i got blood tests by the doctor and a chest scan he said all was okay except for a couple of things such as a blood cell count was a bit high i think he said something like that, and that one of my lungs was a bit smaller than it should be

he`s recommended me to go to hospital for a check up and my appointment is next month, but right now im no closer to any answers

i have tried everything from green tea to all the herbal aids,
also tried starving myself completely for 2/3 days straight and still find myself bloated out of breath and feeling ill

can anyone help or give advice please

thanks

Last edited by admiraldinky; 08-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

Skye29 HB User
Unhappy Re: huge unexplained weight gain

Hi,,

Did you find an answer?

I was also very slim, too the point of too skinny, but then about 4 or 5 years ago I started putting on the weight. Mostly on stomach area.
I'm so tired of people asking me when the baby is due or if i'm pregnant!!!

I've had the blood tests for thyroid, not diabetic, not being unhealthy (except a few too many tequila's)

I wish i knew what was wrong

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

eric909 HB User
Re: huge unexplained weight gain

Situation like this could be confusing for us especially from the past, we are very slim and skinny then eventually we gained weight fast in no time. One think I personally experience in gaining weight is drinking alcohol and eating junk foods, that is the common reason, but we cannot deny the other reason too, like change of lifestyle or our body has undergo some changes.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User

I'm entering the same boat having weighed 125 for most of the last 29 years. Only now (from following some erroneous/incomplete advice) am I gaining weight (~10 lbs in 6 months or so).

Have you taken anything? antacids, supplements, meds? Are you doing any unusual or new nutritional or other dietary things? What do you eat now? Have your exercise or walking habits changed? Has your appearance changed in any other ways? Do you have dark circles under your eyes?

I would only use iodized salt if I were you. Sea salt and kosher salt are usually not iodized. Also mineral supplements can cause low metal/non-metal levels. For instance, high magnesium (which pretty much can only result from supplementation) can cause these and worse problems. It's generally much better/safer to take no supplements, I have come to think (!)

Finally, I also thought it possible that you might have an issue with yeast in digestion. This could cause your new food "allergies," which might cause fungal overgrowth. High minerals/low metals can also cause yeast control problems.

If fungus really could be a problem, you might read about a "candida diet" not because you necessarily have candida (a common human yeast infection), but the things that prevent candida overgrowth prevent overgrowth of other yeasts/fungi too. An anti-candida diet is basically just healthy eating but also a bunch of specific things like avoiding alcohol (esp. beer), sugar, dairy products, high omega-6 fats (cottonseed, canola, soy, peanut, etc.), and especially avoiding practically all supplements (including vitamins and a lot of others things). Even vitamin D, fish oil, flax and many other well regarded "healthy" supplements contribute to yeast problems.

(Also keep in mind that I'm not a nutritionist or medically trained at all or anything, so this is just more random nutritional advice on the internet that I would definitely want to research myself and corroborate with my own medical professional before considering following. Health is too precious to risk on others advice like this.--I just majored in biology in college and tend to think I know more than I do. )

Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
(female)

WhatWasIThinkin HB User

I know you had blood tests but did they specifically test your thyroid?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
(female)

samantha1966 HB User

I also have been really skinny all my life, I am very active person and in the last 14 months have put on nearly 3 stone, its ruining my life, my back hurts my neck hurts, my feet are agony, i went to see the doc with a list of symptoms as long as my arm, was diagnosed hypothyroid, have been on meds for ten months now on optimum dose and still the weight is piling on, the endocrinologist said my level are fine and there is nothing wrong with me. I have been told to come off my hrt so I can be tested for cushings. I think it might be hormones, cant think what else it could be if every test comes back as normal, my latest tsh is 0.63 ft4 is 19.3 an ft3 is 4.2 does anyone have any ideas please, oh and my cholesterol is 6.5

Last edited by samantha1966; 12-18-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
(female)

Kmarr916 HB User
This sounds like Cushing's to me. You should see an endocrinologist to confirm. Symptoms can include: Sudden weight gain in the abdominal area (the legs and arms generally remain thin), weight gain or rounding of the face, excessive sweating, striae (purple/red marks on skin that look similar to stretch marks), weight gain on back of neck (similar to a hump)...

You can google it for more info, but what is basically occurring is that you body is producing excessive amounts of cortisol. The hypothalamus (in the brain) releases a hormone (CRH) that tells the pituitary gland at the base of your brain to release a hormone (ACTH)....This hormone, ACTH, then travels to your adrenal glands and tells them to release cortisol. When enough cortisol is produced, your hypothalamus stops releasing the CRH. SO.....to sum it up...there is a feedback loop that occurs between these three glands and this regulates the release of certain hormones. Kind of like a checks and balances system. If one of these glands stops functioning properly, the whole system gets messed up and too much or too little of a hormone can be released. With Cushing's, there is an excessive amount of cortisol being produced.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
(female)

Kmarr916 HB User
This sounds like Cushing's to me. You should see an endocrinologist to confirm. Symptoms can include: Sudden weight gain in the abdominal area (the legs and arms generally remain thin), weight gain or rounding of the face, excessive sweating, striae (purple/red marks on skin that look similar to stretch marks), weight gain on back of neck (similar to a hump)... You can google it for more info, but what is basically occurring is that you body is producing excessive amounts of cortisol. The hypothalamus (in the brain) releases a hormone (CRH) that tells the pituitary gland at the base of your brain to release a hormone (ACTH)....This hormone, ACTH, then travels to your adrenal gland and tells it to release cortisol. When enough cortisol is produced, your hypothalamus stops releasing the CRH. SO.....to sum it up...there is a feedback loop that occurs between these three glands and this regulates the release of certain hormones. Kind of like a checks and balances system. If one of these glands stops functioning properly, the whole system gets messed up and too much or too little of a hormone can be released. With Cushing's, there is an excessive amount of cortisol being produced.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
(female)

Kmarr916 HB User
Oops...I didn't see your recent post about going to an endocrinologist already. You should definitely take their advice and get tested for Cushing's...

Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
(female)

samantha1966 HB User

Thanks kmarr916, yes I have a blood test booked in for the end of January for the cushings test, I will let u know the outcome, thanks again, I am so anxious and worried about this as its been going on for a year now and I just keep putting weight on. I just assumed it was something to do with reverse t3 cos the docs tell me my thyroid is fine now with medication and maybe I should go on anti depressants and see a phyciatrist, and they wonder why I am so anxious when I go and see the docs, u get ten minutes to tell them everything then they tell u that u are fine and its all i the head. I am like a mad woman, my head is spinning, I dont think it is cushings I think it is the thyroid, that is the only thing going on at the moment apart from hrt which I have had to stop for 7 weeks before taking the cushings test. heres hoping it is something to do with the hormones.

Sorry to go on but this has really messed up my head, and no one is listening, I tell them about all the excercise I do and the fact that I have a physical job and eat very healthily and it is impossible to gain weight when you eat less than the energy you use, there is something going on with my body, I know my body, my arms also get very tired like a burning sensation when I do the smallest of jobs and I get out of breath at the simplest of things and by the time I get to the top of the stairs my legs are burning like Ive ran three miles, whats that all about.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
(female)

Kmarr916 HB User
I'm sorry to hear you are going through all of this and I hope that testing at the end of the month answers you questions and leads to a diagnosis/treatment. You know your body better than anyone and if you feel there is something wrong...don't let doctors tell you otherwise.....switch doctors until you find the right one. Docs are only human and will always resort to the most likely diagnosis. Most don't consider the rare ones until they've seen a case or two themselves. I am a student looking to one day go to medical school. I have a strong thirst for knowledge on anything to do with the medical field and I'd like think that anything I see/read now will one day help someone. SO, I always watch a show on tv called Mystery Diagnosis. Each episode depicts two or three real life stories of people going from doctor to doctor....being misdiagnosed or told nothing is wrong...sometimes for years! Until they find that one doctor that properly diagnoses them. There was an episode on a woman with Cushing's that somewhat fits what you are going through. I know this has got to be so frustrating, stressful, and worrisome..,,. But hang in there because they WILL find a reason and you WILL get through this. Also, I did a bit of research...and found that Increased cortisol can inhibit the conversion T4 to T3 and conversion of T4 to RT3 increases. So, I still think that you could have Cushing's... And if you do, there IS treatment!!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
(female)

Kmarr916 HB User
I'm sorry to hear you are going through all of this and I hope that testing at the end of the month answers you questions and leads to a diagnosis/treatment. You know your body better than anyone and if you feel there is something wrong...don't let doctors tell you otherwise.....switch doctors until you find the right one. Docs are only human and will always resort to the most likely diagnosis. Most don't consider the rare ones until they've seen a case or two themselves. I am a student looking to one day go to medical school. I have a strong thirst for knowledge on anything to do with the medical field and I'd like think that anything I see/read now will one day help someone. SO, I always watch a show on tv called Mystery Diagnosis. Each episode depicts two or three real life stories of people going from doctor to doctor....being misdiagnosed or told nothing is wrong...sometimes for years! Until they find that one doctor that properly diagnoses them. There was an episode on a woman with Cushing's that somewhat fits what you are going through. I know this has got to be so frustrating, stressful, and worrisome..,,. But hang in there because they WILL find a reason and you WILL get through this. Also, I did a bit of research...and found that Increased cortisol can inhibit the conversion T4 to T3 and conversion of T4 to RT3 increases. So, I still think that you could have Cushing's... And if you do, there IS treatment!!

Closed Thread