It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
(male)

scottyg354 HB User
Obesity Related Symptoms? Suggestions

OK guys. I have always been a big guy 6'0 250-270. I have hypothyroidism. When I discovered I had this I went from roughly 270 to about 350. The weight gain is killing me. I feel awful. I can't function 100% normally day to day. I am always tired. I get dizzy, fatigued, depressed, I get odd aches and pains. Somedays I just want to stay in bed and not get out. My mood swings. It really sucks... Anyone else have these same problems. Any solutions that work.

My thyroid has been regulated for a little while now and I am ready to regain my health before it's to late.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Obesity Related Symptoms? Suggestions

Scotty-

Sorry for the Hypothyroidism and the weight gain. Ii would bet you still need a higher dose of thyroid meds as the symptoms you relate are of hypothyroidism. The odd aches and pains are from fluid retention from lack of thyroid hormone. Do they seem to move around? You never know where they are going to hit next? Depression, fatigue etc- all lack of hormone.

Make sure your dr is drawing more than just the TSH- it really means nothing after you are diagnosed. You need free T3 & T4.

When your thyroid is completely regulated it is easier to lose weight but it doesn't just drop off, you have to work at it.

Good luck

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Scotty-

Sorry for the Hypothyroidism and the weight gain. Ii would bet you still need a higher dose of thyroid meds as the symptoms you relate are of hypothyroidism. The odd aches and pains are from fluid retention from lack of thyroid hormone. Do they seem to move around? You never know where they are going to hit next? Depression, fatigue etc- all lack of hormone.

Make sure your dr is drawing more than just the TSH- it really means nothing after you are diagnosed. You need free T3 & T4.

When your thyroid is completely regulated it is easier to lose weight but it doesn't just drop off, you have to work at it.

Good luck

Pup

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

WhatWasIThinkin HB User

Hey Scotty I feel like you most days! It sucks! Have your blood tested again to see where your levels stand and see if you need your meds adjusted.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
(female)

solo17 HB User

Hi Scotty, I am so sorry to hear about how much of a toll your weight gain has taken on your quality of life. I have also experienced a period of rapid weight gain (about 150lbs) when my body weight went from anorexic to obese due to emotional eating and endocrine disorder. My weight gain was also rapid (it took about a year).

Although many doctors gave suggestions that were not helpful (e.g. "you should eat right and exercise") there was one suggestion from a doctor at my university that I did find helpful. He told me that I should fight the urge to stay in bed and instead force myself to go out. I also have depression, and so at that time in my life all I wanted was to hide from eerything. He told me to go out and walk for about an hour and when I got home continue to be active and do chores.

I had my doubts but while outside I realized I started to feel less drowsy, less pain in my body from the strain my body was under and more energized. When I got home that afternoon I had the energy to clean do laundry and cook myself a real dinner (rather then just microwave poor quality food).

Because I had worked my metabolism by the time I got into bed I was really, physically tired and got a good night sleep for the first time in months. I know it isn't much, but maybe it will help get you feeling a little more positive. Good luck.

Closed Thread