It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obesity Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
(female)

Kyraax HB User
Unhappy i weigh 295 and i cannot seem to get motivation..

I started getting chunky when I was about 8 years old. By the time I was 15 I weighed 250 by the time I was 17 I was about 280 and i am 20 and I weigh about 295 I don't know how much I weigh honestly. I have tried motivating myself over and over again it is not working. I tell myself that if I lose it I'd be able to be picked up by my fiance or other things or things like I want to be thin when I get married and just a lot of things to make me motivated only worked for a short period of time. I need a list of other motivations I can try. I have a Kinect about 3-4 workout DVDs I have smaller pants that were given to me I don't know what to do I am young I should not be this big. Also I was diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease. (Acid reflux disease) gastro-stomach esophageal wel you get it. Everytime I drink cold water or everytime I eat something with acid in it I do not want to do anything I'm hot I don't feel good. I am taking tums with it it helps a little bit but when I feel good I don't want to do anything.. it really sucks .... I need help. Thank you. Maybe suggestions on telling me what I do wrong and giving me examples of whst I should try like I said I'm young and obese. No motivation nothing is clicking.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
(female)

sadgirl74 HB Usersadgirl74 HB User
Re: i weigh 295 and i cannot seem to get motivation..

i wish i could help i to am large for my size. i am short but weight about 140 - 160 for me thats also a lot. i try to pray a lot and eat less nothing helps. i dont have the energy to exercise either forget that. so i am also stuck. and the daily stress i have doesnt help. i live on very little each month, and my dad and sister are just this week homeless. so much anxiety for them, they are both elderly and alone. all this stress makes me feel so much worse. i am 38. i feel like a 80 year old woman. or older. i cant see physically going on like this much longer. i am so tired every day all the time. and i just dont even feel good enough to go for a walk and no one even encourages me at all. (((HUGS)))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
(male)

bes71 HB User

Hey there. I've struggled with my weight most of my life and have tried a lot of different diets only to find myself giving up. Motivation can be tough, especially if you don't have people pushing you everyday. Have you tried any type of mental self-help programs? These have worked the best for me in terms of motivation, my relationship with food and how to avoid some of the traps I normally fall into.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
(female)

ty for the reply. no that doesnt help me either. but i recently took some of my uppers from my dr and they did help. i am now down to 150. i want to get down to 130. praying for u all. i have so much daily stress its really hard. i want to sit and eat all day. very hard.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
(female)

had a bad eating day today. ate to much fatty stuff. had a mild head cold and that threw me off. when i dont feel well i dont bother to watch what i eat. its so hard you are not alone in this. if i just had some encouragement to walk etc but have none and live with a selfish, cold hearted room mate. i pray my old neighbor from my old apt building can move into the building i live at now. she would like to walk with me at least. try to find some one to encourage you who will walk with you.i think thats the best thing.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
(male)

JFF104 HB User

Well It really bothers me when I've seen my GP and he tells me simply that I have to lose weight. I know I need to lose weight but It is hard and no doctor seems willing to accept that.

I began gaining weight when I was about 9/10 when my mum and dad separated. I spent most of my teen years being bullied which led me once more to food. I'm over 300lbs now, and just about to turn 20. I am 6'5 and naturally built very stocky.

I have my good days and bad days when I diet but I too just struggle to stay motivated. At 20 being so overweight may not affect my health too much now but in 15-20 years I'll be at higher risk for Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Disease and that does scare me, that acts as my motivation.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
(female)

AnnaBee75 HB User

I think you need somebody close to you to support you. Somebody to get on the diet together so you will watch over each other. Also, What worked for me, was signing up with a group excerse program at a gym.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I feel your pain. I'm about 265-ish right now and I just have zero desire to move. Sure, I'd love to get back into the jeans I wore 70 pounds ago, but I just don't have any energy. I've been tired every day for years, which might be due to my thyroid - my TSH isn't out of the ball park, but I've sure got a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.

It's hard to find motivation to lose weight because when you lose the healthy way, it comes off so, so slow. Then you have one extra cookie on Saturday and you gain back the pound you lost that week and then some. I'm ashamed of my size, so going to a gym would never work for me. I wanted to try belly dancing as a form of exercise, but the beginner DVDs I got went way too fast for me. Yoga also was a no-go because I was out of breath les than a minute into a beginner DVD.

Exercise never worked for me for weight loss, which may have been due in part to the fact that I couldn't do much before I got winded. I used to force myself to exercise for 30 minutes every other day and I always dreaded workout days. I absolutely loathe exercising. What worked for me was keeping a food journal and setting a very low calorie limit. Like 1000-1200 calories a day. And it sucks because you're hungry and fantasizing about food and you have to just wait about three or four days and those horrible hunger pangs will go away.

In my opinion, weight loss can only be achieved via dieting/fasting, while fitness can only be achieved via exercise. If you just want to lose weight and not necessarily be fit, then straight up dieting would be better, and you adjust your calorie intake based on your activity level. Light exercise every day or every other day, 1200 calories/day. Heavier workouts, 1500 calories/day. Totally sedentary, 1000 calories/day or less. And drink water when you get hungry between meals.

Also, Weight Watchers has a good system. There are sites online where you can type in your weight, height, activity level, etc. and get your point limit so you don't have to actually pay to join WW and go to meetings. Unfortunately we can't post links here, but if you look about on Google a little, you can get all the WW info you need for free. It's a lovely system because there are no off-limits foods. If you want an ice cream sundae, you can have it. It might use up 3/4 of your daily points, but you CAN have it.

Best of luck to you. I'm still trying to get motivated to exercise and it's just not happening. I have a bad habit of boredom eating too and it's hard to stop myself.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
(female)

marburg7 HB User

Folks I weighed 296 when I started dieting using weight watchers. I am now down to 256 and have 60 pounds more to go.

For me it may be too late. I have Fatty Liver which has progressed to Nash with Cirrhosis, Diabetes, pcos, hypertension and high cholesterol. I will be facing a liver transplant sometime in the future but only if I can get my weight down to normal.

Please don't let that happen to you. Drink lots of water, eat low fat lean proteins (chicken and fish), 1/4 cup of nuts, cut out or cut down red meats, fill up on fresh fruits and veggies. Cut out chips, starches, fast foods. Exercise at least 30 minutes 3 times a week. The weight will come off.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-03-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

The following user gives a hug of support to marburg7:
justina84 (06-16-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

realwoman HB User
Smile Re: i weigh 295 and i cannot seem to get motivation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl74 View Post
i wish i could help i to am large for my size. i am short but weight about 140 - 160 for me thats also a lot. i try to pray a lot and eat less nothing helps. i dont have the energy to exercise either forget that. so i am also stuck. and the daily stress i have doesnt help. i live on very little each month, and my dad and sister are just this week homeless. so much anxiety for them, they are both elderly and alone. all this stress makes me feel so much worse. i am 38. i feel like a 80 year old woman. or older. i cant see physically going on like this much longer. i am so tired every day all the time. and i just dont even feel good enough to go for a walk and no one even encourages me at all. (((HUGS)))
Hang in there buddie. I know what you are going through is tough but there is still hope if you are willing.

You can still shed some weight because others like you have done it and are still doing it.

All you need right now is perseverence in any kind of treatment you are doing whatsoever.

If you do not any treatment program, these tips might help a lot.

1. Limit the foods that cause weight gain and consume more of foods that burns fat and feed the muscles.

2. Go to the gym atleast every two days, if possible, everyday.

3. Perform breathing exercise everyday.

4. Lastly hold on to the treatment no matter what you go through and with time you will start losing weight gradually.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
(female)

rosepress HB User

I know EXACTLY how you feel..I am 250ish and it feels like 500..I am so tired, I am not motivated, everyone in my home is either thin or of normal size. I have been overweight all my life. Was raised by an Italian mother who showed love through food. I am older than you, going to be 53 and all I can say for me is, the party is OVER. The days of driving through fast food places, eating as much as I want, when I want or DONE. I decided a week ago to do this. I think twice before I eat something and I concentrate on the reward....smaller clothes, approval from friends and family. I will never be skinny, but I need to lose 100 pounds, but am aiming for 25 right now...smaller steps. slowly changing what you eat...sure it takes awhile..but isn't time going to pass anyway??

I do not want to spend the remainder of my time on earth heavy..its just too much work. I have Osteoarthritis on top of back issues and every day is a challenge...why I have kept all this extra weight on my body to damage my joints and walk around in pain is beyond me, but I did. I hate following Weight Watchers or any plan where you count, because honestly, I get bored and if I cheat one thing, I will blow the rest the day. Someone gave me the best advice...a trainer I met at a party. He said, to lose weight, "Eat Less, Move more". So I have. He said once my body gets use to eating less, my stomach will shrink. I use to eat eggs and what have you for breakfast because I wanted food and not cereal or whole wheat what have you. so now, I eat one yogurt. It was difficult at first, but I have been doing that. Lunch, a sandwich, some fruit for snacks and at dinner, broiled chicken, fish, or sensible TVdinner.....I have to keep focus. I don't want to weigh over 200 anymore...I will be 10 feet under way before my expiration date if I do. You can do the same. I am here, we are here together. Do it for yourself, make yourself your first priority....you are way to young. Its harder the older you get. I will pray for you through this journey!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
(female)

dollardame61 HB User
Thumbs up Re: i weigh 295 and i cannot seem to get motivation..

I am 52 years old and recently have lost over 80 pounds and feel better then ever, I did it with Weight Watchers. I have spent the majority of my adult life over 200 pounds; hitting a high of over 250 pounds. I just concentrated on losing something every week, and all of a sudden I realized I had lost a lot of weight. I never thought I would reach the goal weight they set for me, but I did and then some. Don't give up on yourself; I had many times. Watching other people do it and going to the meetings helped me immensely; I have a new life and have made many new friends in the process. Just keep trying! jrh

Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
(male)

simon163 HB User

I agree! Focusing on a small goals (2 pound a week) and trying to squeeze in also exercise is the key to success!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
(male)

jinxed26 HB User

Everyones comments are going to be different and no set plan is going to work for everyone there is no magic bullet for obesity. It does take hard work and but also can be very rewarding.here are my suggestions.

Make a big fuss of the early achievements but taper off as you get to your target weight

Make it part of your life do nothing special like hopping on your left foot every twelve steps this may help you lose weight but unless it's automatically part of your life your going to give it up at some point.

Make excersize part of your life e.g. when out and about use the stairs rather than the lift, commute to work on a bike

Learn to cook and make your own food.

Set realistic goals

Try to eat nutrient dense foods.

Use a body fat monitor rather than scales building muscle can make your weight loss seem slower.

Buy skinny jeans one size too small

Most of all remember it's you that has to do it no one else can you have the power to control your own weight and destiny, and by cheating you only cheat yourself .

Last edited by jinxed26; 12-16-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
(female)

brookiepete HB User

Have you thought about signing up to a weight loss website? I really enjoyed ******, you can set a really reasonable goal for yourself, such as losing 5 lbs in two months. Then it shows you if you're on schedule, how many calories you should restrict, etc. Maybe make one decision each day that is a healthy one. Like, one day you could substitute carrot sticks with lowfat dip instead of chips, another day you could go on a walk etc.

For the acid reflux tums doesn't help me very much, but I take pepcid and really like that.

Reply Reply