HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obesity (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obesity/)
-   -   Sabatoge of weight loss efforts (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obesity/938651-sabatoge-weight-loss-efforts.html)

Spinny0901 02-08-2013 06:35 PM

Sabatoge of weight loss efforts

Hi there.
Every time I try to get into a new routine for exercise and eating right, I either start sabatoging myself, or it's my husband that does it. I just can't control the crap that I eat. It doesn't help that my husband will go out and buy alot of crap. Chips, cookies, cakes, processed foods. Everytime we go out shopping, he's always asking me if I want ice cream, or chicken quesidillas, hamburgers.. I will tell him no, and always tell him that I want boneless skinless chicken breasts or turkey, healthy choices. I just don't know. I know I need to lose weight really bad, just can't get motivated to do anything about it. Very very frustrated!

growagourd 02-09-2013 02:32 AM

Re: Sabatoge of weight loss efforts

Weight loss is hard enough without those we love and live with being less than supportive.

I do not think it is much to ask to keep those junk foods out of the house on your request. They are not healthy for anyone, so if your husband insists on eating them at least he could do so out of your presence, and not bring them in to your house. That would be a small gesture that would be so helpful to both of you. If he is unwilling to at least do that much, I would wonder about his motivation. Marriage is all about making life for your partner as good as you can with the simple things in life. Snack food is just not important enough to use as a as selfishly as that. If he only knew how much it would mean to you for him to protect you from the one thing so easy to control...keeping junk out of the house!

This is something you will have to negotiate with your husband, or it could become something big enough to cause problems for both of you. I hope you pointing out how silly it is for him to let such a thing get in the way of your relationship will be enough for him to re think his old ideas and get with the program.

The health and welfare of each member of our families is the responsibility of ourselves, and each other. We do have to make our own life our first priority, so we can work towards the best life we can have. At some point we have to take responsibility for ourselves, and do not let anyone have enough power to sabotage anything for us.

I would have a serious talk with your husband and see what his goals are in working against you in this way. Hopefully he is not aware of how much it means to you and will immediately fix things. If not, I would look deeper for the answers, and not be satisfied until you get the results you need.

In the end though, we are ultimately responsible for what we choose to eat and how we live. I hope you and your husband can learn to support each other and enjoy your life together.

metalzombie 02-11-2013 01:06 PM

I was having a similar issue, but not with myself so much as the boyfriend likes to cook and doesn't cook healthy. Drives me crazy sometimes. He used to just bring me a huge plate of food and since I was raised to eat everything on my plate, I was eating way too much. Now, though, I talked with him and he doesn't help my plate any longer. He was trying to be sweet, but just over-doing it. He still doesn't cook so healthy, but he's been incorporating more of my suggestions over time. If he makes something way too bad, I just have a tiny portion and then add some low-cal fruit and/or veggies to fill myself up. :)

I agree to have a talk with him about what you need and maybe he will be more supportive. Maybe ask him to only get one portion of an unhealthy food and then NOT share it with you. You can get the 100 cal packs and only allow yourself one of those when you want to eat chips/cookies. One thing for certain, you can eat a lot more healthy type foods than chips/cookies. Those things taste good, but don't do anything to fill you up. Something that helps me to fill up so I don't even want anything else (even junk food), is a low-cal frozen strawberry and diet soda (grapefruit, or tangerine or lemon-lime) smoothie.

It's hard to do without support, but you can do it. Take one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time, and don't beat yourself up when you slip.

vegea 11-24-2013 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=Spinny0901;5130430]Hi there.
Every time I try to get into a new routine for exercise and eating right, I either start sabatoging myself, or it's my husband that does it. I just can't control the crap that I eat. It doesn't help that my husband will go out and buy alot of crap. Chips, cookies, cakes, processed foods. Everytime we go out shopping, he's always asking me if I want ice cream, or chicken quesidillas, hamburgers.. I will tell him no, and always tell him that I want boneless skinless chicken breasts or turkey, healthy choices. I just don't know. I know I need to lose weight really bad, just can't get motivated to do anything about it. Very very frustrated![/QUOTE]

Since obesity almost took my life, I look at unhealthy foods like it was heroin. I could care less what junk my husband chooses to eat, it won't go in my mouth.