It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2003, 09:58 AM   #1
Veteran

Pootsi HB User
Twirling my hair like crazy.

Every single day when I'm watching t.v. I twirl my hair like I really need to.
My husband get so sick of it, he pushes my hand away cuz it drives him crazy!
I mean, it's my hair.
He'd see it happening when he's sitting there watching t.v. also and he'd lose his concentration cuz of my constant twirling.
It's kinda freaky to me also, actually.
Can anyone relate??
I feel good doing it, I like the way it sounds and feels
Almost like it puts me in this relaxed mode.
Before the hair twirling, it use to be picking my eyes, pulling out funny looking hairs on my head.
But this hair twirling I've always had. It use to drive my dad and mom crazy also.
I am anxietic, does that have anything to do with it?

Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
Inactive

ShannonKay HB User
The question is: does it bother YOU? If it's something you're content with, then I would'nt waste time worrying (your boyfriend will just have to deal with it!), but if you want to stop for his sake, that's understandable, too.

But most importantly, is it something you feel you have no control over?

Good luck.

Last edited by ShannonKay; 11-04-2003 at 06:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2003, 07:42 PM   #3
Veteran

Pootsi HB User
Very true

He says it looks nutty, like something is wrong with me, when Im doing it. And I sure don't want to look like a nut, but figured its okay to do when its just us two, he doesn't notice sometimes, and I can get away with it.

What I don't understand is "Why"? What causes someone to do that, and feel the need to over and over. I mean it's compulsive.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Meg28 HB User
Wow, got a shiver down my spine when I saw your post. I was moving the mouse with one hand and twirling my hair in the other. Mine is constant lately as well, and I also feel soothed by it. Sigh....just another thing to add to the list.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:23 AM   #5
(female)

Dixie Chick HB User
I don't twirl. I just run my fingers down individual hairs, from the root to the end. It looks like I am pulling my hair and sometimes it does pull out but mostly I just like the feel of the coarseness. When they are real coarse, I play with the hair enough that it usually comes out, then I play with it in my hands. My husband says I looks silly and people at work say things too. It's just a habit. I don't even realize I'm doing it. My mom used to do it and I would ask her what she was doing. She would say, "I'm only pulling out the grey ones!"

I also look at the split ends and pick them off. I am real proud of myself when I find a real "good" split and get rid of it. And just like the poster above, I am doing it right now as I read these threads.

Last edited by Dixie Chick; 11-07-2003 at 10:24 AM.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran

Pootsi HB User
Actually, that's exactly what I do, I run my fingers down the strands, cuz I like the coarseness of it. That's funny!
I'm not sure where I picked it up from, that one wasn't from my mom.
But other habits were.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #7

eyelinerfairy HB User
Arrow

Hello...i have the same thing...no one mentioned if they knew what it was called-but it may help if anyone doesnt to research something called 'trichotillomania'. Hope it helps to answer questions take care, Lis

Old 11-09-2003, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User
I can't understand why it bothers your husband so. It seems so harmless unless you are yanking hairs out. Can't you relax in your own home. It's not like you are passing gas, picking your nose, or chomping loudly on food. Is he usually so controlling or is this an isolated situation?

Old 11-10-2003, 09:19 PM   #9

VeganLady HB User
I was twirling my hair when I saw this post so I thought I should respond. Anyway, I do it all the time as well. I recently got a spiral perm and that made it so much worse! I pick out strands of hair that are not as curly as the rest and wrap them around my finger. After I get bored of that I find a strand that is kind of frizzy and start pulling out the hairs that I think are too coarse. It drives me insane! Sometimes I put my hair up really tight so that I won't need to do it as much, lol.

As for your b/f, he needs to deal with it. I mean, you're just twirling your hair! lol If YOU want to stop then maybe see a psychiatrist.

Good luck.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:24 AM   #10

JenBrooke123 HB User
Most often it seems to come from when we were children, it's a comfort thing. sometimes we don't even remember when it started. I can remember some of the habits I picked up when I was a small child and scared of the dark, or the doctors office..etc, it was twirling my hair that kept me calm and relaxed. I don't do that anymore. It's not a bad habit, unless you are pulling it out in huge clumps.

As for the annoying part, he can deal. I deal with my boyfriend biteing his nails, ALL the time, he can't stop. I am very annoyed by it because it does destract. but I'll get over it, cause he puts up with my habits.hahah

Old 11-11-2003, 11:50 AM   #11

My Aley HB User
Wink

Hey there girl! Don't feel alone or like there is something wrong with you. One post hit it right on the spot.......Trichotillomania. Some people twist their hair, some pull out there head hair, eyelashes, and other hair. Unfortunately, not many people know about it and you also get wrong information from people who think they know what they are talking about. I would recommend you going to the trichotillomania website. You are going to feel VERY good once you do. Pray it stays at just twirling. My Mom and Grandmother was a twirler......and I know what you mean by how it relaxes you, we all say the same thig. It feels good. I bet you do it when you are tired also, bored. The more people nag on you about it, does it seem to get worse or you notice the urge to be stronger?? You can be stressed, relaxing, tired, bored or just want to do it. No matter what your husband or other say, I doubt you can actually stop doing it for good. It becomes a habit and OCD at the same time. After you go to the site, maybe you can print off some ifo to have your family and hubby read. And, for you, you may not want to think this twirling is anything but, it is. Ignorant people will ask you why you can't stop..........we are way too used to that comment. Until insurance companies and Dr'd make this more known and accepted...there are going to be more like you looking for answers and getting the wrong info. Please look into it. TLC is an organization for trichotillomania and you will find much info and support there. Take care and hope this helps!
SDB

Old 11-11-2003, 07:26 PM   #12
(female)

Dixie Chick HB User
Aley,
You seem to know a lot about it but I have looked at trich pages and I can't speak for others but I just don't think it's me. I am not getting bald spots or anything. I just play with my hair. Sure, hairs do come out and I play with them and it relaxes me but I have been doing this for over 30 years (I remember it starting in college when I was nervous, studying for exams) and it has never progressed to this heavy-duty pulling that people write about.

The others here seem to be talking about just playing with their hair, too. Just a nervous or relaxing habit. Do you really think it is going to progress to worse things?

Old 11-11-2003, 08:37 PM   #13
Veteran

Pootsi HB User
It relaxes me also, like putting me in a kind of a dream state. I wonder if having anxiety has anything to do with it. It seems like it would.

I read about the trickotillomania, and I don't get compulsive with pulling out hairs til it's bold. That was interesting to read though.

I have gotten a bit compulsive at one time pulling white hairs if any were to come out, but it got boring cuz not enough came out And maybe some funny looking hairs, but didn't get carried away.

I do remember a girl at the bus stop I use to wait at for school, back then, that use to have No eyelashes, the rim around her eyes were so red. A friend at the bus stop told me it was from her pulling them all out. I thought that was So weird, I stayed far away from her .

I know now, that people can have some sick behaviors that they need help with.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:58 PM   #14

My Aley HB User
Lightbulb

You don't have to pull out your hair to have the traits. There are a lot of hair twirlers on the site as well. If you were to email something, I am sure you would get many replies! But, that is up to you and you may not have it. It doesn't always develope into pulling, my Mom didn't. And, to clear it up, people who pull out their hair, no matter where it is are not "sick" people. It's a compulsion disorder, like over grooming gone overboard. A lot like people who bite their nails, they have a hard time stopping as well. I feel for the girl on the bus people stayed away from..........how sad. Hope as adults, some of you are a bit more compassionate to others and sympathetic. I have trichotillomania and I am a functional and educated person. I am not in the least ashamed of myself. I think it has made me a better person, I am more affectionate to others and I don't judge others by what they look like on the outside. If you can't stop twirling your hair no matter what, it's an OCD that is on the same line as trich, only obviously, if you know medical terminology, you don't have the pulling part. Maybe you can call it trichostreptomania.....lol Most people on that site are probably going to talk more about hairpulling than anything because twisting your hair isn't as dramatic and embarressing as pullling, nor as expensive. Hope you find peace with yourself and not let others make fun of you or scold you. Just as a joke, maybe start picking your nose instead, I am sure your hubby will be more poen and accepting of the twisting!!!
SDB

Old 11-13-2003, 07:37 AM   #15
Veteran

Pootsi HB User
If I was to start pulling out my hairs getting bald patches, I would definately get help, fast before it's all gone.
I do get into the obssesive behaviors, like the twirling, cleaning, etc.
Yeah, my husband will just have to deal with me twirling, cuz Im not hurting myself or him.
With him, ever since he pulled this one hair in the middle of his eyes, the stub would come out (barely) and he'd be feeling for it while watching tv to where he can't stand it anymore cuz he feels it way in there, he'd go dig it out with a tweezer. Like every other night he's be rubbing there with his finger
And he is a nail biter down to the meat.
About the little girl at the bus stop, I was little also, so you know how that can be especially at the age of 9 or 10. It looked pretty scary. But I wasn't mean to her like others were, I was more afraid I think. I felt sorry for her.
I think the ends of my hair are starting to look like (Chucky) hair cuz of the constant hair twirling though. It's been highlighted, so it's a little dry (good for twirling) . But I only do it at nights watching tv, so it's not to bad. I do get a little startled when I catch myself doing it, without even knowing I was.
Poots-

Closed Thread