It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2004, 06:55 AM   #1

mandy333 HB User
Treating obsessive disorder without meds?

I'm 30 years old, and from about age 20 on I think I've had an obsessive disorder, where my brain fixates on a particular thing (always only one thing at a time) and I cannot think of anything else. I can function, but feel like I'm going through the motions, as the absolute only thing I can think about is the one particular obsession.

When I was in college, I dated a guy for a long time, and was obsessed with the thought that he would cheat on me. It wasn't the normal passing thought that it might happen; it was all-consuming. My life was miserable as a result, and we ended breaking up because of it.

Since then I've worried about various things to the point of mental and physical exhaustion. When I stop worrying about one thing, it is immediateloy replaced with another.

I cannot stop.

I saw a psychologist this past week, and the questions she asked me seemed to indicate she thinks I have an obsessive disorder. I'm to see her, and a psychiatrist, next week. I think the psychologist feels that discussing medications with the psychiatrist is a good thing to do.

I would like to avoid meds if possible because I'm breastfeeding a 9-month old baby and husband and I plan to try for another in a few months.

Has anyone had success - real success - getting over obsessions without meds? Or does anyone have any other advice or words of encouragement for me? I need to do something - the obsessions are affecting my family and my relationship with my daughter and I must (must, must) not let that happen.

Thanks so much in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 06:58 AM   #2

mandy333 HB User
Re: Treating obsessive disorder without meds?

Haha... just read my original post.

"I would like to avoid meds if possible because I'm breastfeeding a 9-month old baby and husband and I plan to try for another in a few months."

There should be a comma after baby so nobody misreads and thinks I'm breastfeeding a baby and my husband. lol

Old 01-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
(male)

dgold HB User

Sounds like your OCD is too imbeded in your brain already.
I think Exposure and reponse therapy will help you but you may need some meds too go along with it for a while.

You should try luvox for awhile at about 100-150 mg and see if that works.
you might even need a mood stabilizer. Are you maniac. Always up and down. do you have violent mood swings.
I am no doctor!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
(male)

dgold HB User

I Dont know how long breastfeeding stops for babbies.
I dont think an SSRI will affect breastfeeding at all.
I am no doctor so you would have to double check that with a real doctor

Old 01-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #5

aimazing HB User

I don't have any advice except to see what is said next week. Maybe the physcologist does want to discuss meds, but if so you can put across your point of veiw there, or it may be possible to have meds that don't harm either by breast feeding or the unborn baby. But I honestly don't know. You'll just have to see how it goes next week.

The sucess of overcoming it though, isn't really down to medication (I can't speak on this though, it's just the impression I get) for the meds just get you started and give you the confidence. You're the one who does it, and will get through it.

Take care and look after yourself. I hope all goes well for you.

Aimee

Old 01-16-2004, 05:51 PM   #6

mandy333 HB User

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

In answer to some questions...

I'm definitely not maniac. Normal ups and downs, and no violent mood swings. Just obsessive, all-consuming worry about particular things (not general worry).

I think, though am not certain, that most meds to treat depression (though drugs for obsessive thoughts might be different) are not really safe to take while breastfeeding, and I'd like to breastfeed longer.

When I left the psychologist's office I asked her if she honestly thought I could do this without meds. I was hoping she'd say, "Yes! Of course!" but instead she said I should at least discuss the pros and cons of drugs with the psychiatrist. :\

I will update next week.

Thanks again.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
(female)

michelle7 HB User

Although,I have a long way to go in dealing with my ocd.I have found the book Brain Lock by Jeffrey Schwartz to be very helpful.Good luck.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:43 PM   #8

mandy333 HB User

I met with the psychiatrist today and she recommended Zoloft, which she says IS safe to take while breastfeeding. She said that a combination of Zoloft and therapy (exposure response prevention) would help tremendously. She expressed concern that therapy alone might not be enough or might take a long time.

I did get the official diagnosis, though. OCD, but a form with just obsessive thoughts, no compulsions.

I haven't decided what to do. I have the Zoloft prescription, and have done some reading on its safety for babies of breastfeeding moms on it. I think I will end up filling the Rx tomorrow and starting it. Kind of nervous, but don't want the obsessive thoughts to affect my relationship with my baby.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:58 PM   #9

Lucieanna HB User

hey, you say youve had this for around 10 years, have you had any break from it, like for a few days? Ive only had this for a month but for 3 days,during my period actually, I stopped obsessing and thought clearly for a while, but then I worried that it would come back and because I started thinking about it again the thoughts came back.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:47 PM   #10

mandy333 HB User

I do have breaks from it. Actually, right now I'm on a break! Just when I was going to start the meds, so of course that makes me want to hold off on them for awhile (which I think I'll do). For me the breaks can be for a few hours, a few days, or sometimes a few weeks.

Anyway, one of the things the doctor did was give me a chart on which I'm supposed to keep track of my period and my obsessive thoughts. She said many women with obsessive thoughts notice a correlation, usually that the problem is worse in premenstrual times (the week or so before the period starts). It has to do with the hormone levels in our bodies; there are different levels of serotonin released at different times of the month, and a lack of serotonin, I think, may be what causes the obsessive thoughts.

I've only been keeping track for two days now, but I have wondered before whether there would be a connection.

Stress can also make the obsessions worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucieanna
hey, you say youve had this for around 10 years, have you had any break from it, like for a few days? Ive only had this for a month but for 3 days,during my period actually, I stopped obsessing and thought clearly for a while, but then I worried that it would come back and because I started thinking about it again the thoughts came back.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #11
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

hey...the best thing you can do is the exposure responce therepy! i am doing it (read my topic on here "Finally getting my life back") just as it will tell you if i am obsessing about something like germs i go out and get "exposed to germs"...it really works and then the obsessions become fleeting thoughts...instead of consuming nightmares...good luck

Old 01-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #12

Lucieanna HB User

Oh dear Im worried now because Ive not had any breaks now for a month and I dont think ill ever be able to stop this, there is o way its jst gnna disappear over night, sorry Im talking about myself again in someone elses thread

Closed Thread