It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2004, 06:24 AM   #1

Rsspro18 HB User
Anyone have changing obsessions or fear harming themselves?

I started doing some ERP and CBT and felt like it was making progress. Most of my obsessions were about hurting, harming, or killing other people. I felt like I was making some progress, but I than I started obsessing about whether or not I could do something horrible to myself, like harming myself, or self-mutliating myself or something like that. So I read some OCD books to look for these symptoms, now I found mention of some people being scared to harm themselves, but I also found mention of people who self-mutilate and it is considered and OCD spectrum disorder... Now I am obsessing and terrified that I could be a self-mutilater or that I could actually harm myself if the thoughts don't go away. So, you make progress in one area and then start to struggle somewhere else... Man, this is tough sometimes. Anyway, has anyone ever struggled with thoughts about hurting themselves? I believe it to be different from self-mutilating disorder because I am scared of doing these things! So it seems like an obsession, but I am worried because I would never want to do anything to hurt myself and I worry that I would have to if the thought wouldn't go away. I did have the same worries about hurting other people, and I never acted on them even when doing ERP so it is probably just my OCD jumping to something else, but I was hoping to hear if anyone knew anything about this and am frightened by the thought of losing it and become a person who self-mutilate or hurt themselves. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 06:35 AM   #2
(female)

why_did_you HB User
Re: Anyone have changing obsessions or fear harming themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsspro18
I started doing some ERP and CBT and felt like it was making progress. Most of my obsessions were about hurting, harming, or killing other people. I felt like I was making some progress, but I than I started obsessing about whether or not I could do something horrible to myself, like harming myself, or self-mutliating myself or something like that. So I read some OCD books to look for these symptoms, now I found mention of some people being scared to harm themselves, but I also found mention of people who self-mutilate and it is considered and OCD spectrum disorder... Now I am obsessing and terrified that I could be a self-mutilater or that I could actually harm myself if the thoughts don't go away. So, you make progress in one area and then start to struggle somewhere else... Man, this is tough sometimes. Anyway, has anyone ever struggled with thoughts about hurting themselves? I believe it to be different from self-mutilating disorder because I am scared of doing these things! So it seems like an obsession, but I am worried because I would never want to do anything to hurt myself and I worry that I would have to if the thought wouldn't go away. I did have the same worries about hurting other people, and I never acted on them even when doing ERP so it is probably just my OCD jumping to something else, but I was hoping to hear if anyone knew anything about this and am frightened by the thought of losing it and become a person who self-mutilate or hurt themselves. Thanks in advance.
I can kind of relate to that- I'm scared of how far I would take things because I know I would take them that far, if you see what I mean?

I don't know though, but that does definately seemed to be linked with OCD- because it's ilogical, because you don't want to do that so why would you do something you don't want to do?

Maybe you could talk to your doctor if you're worried- do you see anyone like a theropist?

Take care. Sorry I couldn't be more help. XxX

Old 02-19-2004, 06:55 AM   #3

Rsspro18 HB User

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It helped me some to read it. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had similar thoughts or obsessions. Yes I am working with a therapist and I feel I'm making progress and I'll definitley mention this in more detail next time I see him... but in the meantime I was hoping to find some support on this board or see if anyone else has had anything similar. When you say you'll take things that far, if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean? I'm assuming you have OCD, right? Is it that the OCD gets to you that much? I know probably all of us with OCD have at time have wanted to or even did scream out of frustration. Perhaps I'll call my therapist today just to mention what I've been obsessing about and get a profesional opinion... but I am still interested if anyone knows anything or has any information about this.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

why_did_you HB User

Hi,
I don't think I have OCD, just something similar from the way that things are. It all centres around one person after something happened where I got hurt. Its on a post below, which explains more I think. I can't touch certain colours, things she's touched, etc. Plus I get anxiety attacks when I see her or do touch things that relate.
I hope things get better for you and that it goes well for you with the theropist. Maybe you could search for information online?
Take care.
XxX

Closed Thread