It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 08:06 PM   #1

NewYorker212 HB User
Unhappy Do inanimate objects have feelings to you?

I haven't brought this up anywhere else because I'm not sure how others might react to it but I do believe it may be a part of OCD or an effect of multiple disorders. I also have general anxiety and social anxiety.

Sometimes, I will get to thinking objects have feelings. This happens with everything from stuffed animals to clothing to garbage to furniture and so on. I can't get rid of any of my old clothes because I honestly think that a shirt has feelings and that it will be hurt if I abandon it. I know it doesn't but my mind just tells me it does and I can't shake the feeling. I've never read about this being a symptom of OCD so I was just curious to know if anyone else feels this way sometimes? Could it be connected to being abandoned by people in the past? I'm almost sure it may be.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
Re: Do inanimate objects have feelings to you?

i cant believe it! i am the same way!
when i was a little girl i used to have all my stuufed toys on my bed so i wouldnt "upset" any of them!
and even still i feel like the things you mentioned have feelings...what a crazy thing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

I think that to a certain extent, everyone has felt like this about some object. Have you ever seen that Ikea commercial about the lamp left out in the rain? It plays sad music and is really dark outside. This woman gets a new lamo and leave the old one out in the rains. Then this guy appears and saws "Don't feel sorry for this lamp! You are crazy! This lamp doesn't have any feelings!!" It is a VERY funny commercial. You can watch it online, but I can't post the link on here. Just do a search for Ikea commercials if you are interested in checking it out. So, I think what you are experiencing is very normal to a certain point. If it is stopping you from throwing things out, living your every day normal life, etc., then I am sure this would be related to OCD.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

hangtenvetter HB User

I found a previous post of mine where I wrote:
Quote:
Everything that I do has to be 100% pure and
purely motivated. It has to be solid, and should
if at all possible, be altruistic.
This goes from the way I roll up a water hose,
to the way I put my little girl to bed at night.
If I find some impure motive, I analyze it, found
how to beat it, and work on it. It has to be
right, not necessarily technically right, but
I have to had put some of my sweat into it. It
has to have become part of me. That water hose
sits coiled on my house. It is now part of me.
The things that I do are a reflection of myself.
I have found, actually, that those inanimate
things became part of me. I might name the hose,
Joe the Hose. I might talk to old Joe while I'm
rolling him up. And I'll never give up old Joe.
And if I were to have to toss old Joe one day, I'd
have to lay him in the can, and go through some
ceremony telling him that he had done a great job
watering my flowers. Look old Joe, look at the
yard. More than likely I'd find a way to patch him,
and "do the right thing."
There is also another post where I wrote...
Quote:

Does anybody here think about the moving parts in machinery, and worry about all that friction, all the things that must go exactly right for it all to work, worry that it is wearing down, and it will eventually break, and that you need to give your machine plenty of rest?

Does anybody think about the gears spinning and the teeth of the gears constantly spinning on one another, or the stress of pistons constantly firing.

Or think that the refrigerator must be on the brink of breaking down since the freon just can't be compressed and decompressed forever without something giving.

Or think of the blade on the lawn mower. When the blade hits the side of the sidewalk, do you picture the internals of the engine just totally stressing out?

When you are on a plane, do you look at the engine in amazement and find it unbelievable that it all works, and that it must surely break?

Does the idea of an engine make you tired?

Do you feel sorry for the machines when they work so hard?
I used to get real concerned about my grass when I cut it. I didn't want to "hurt" it. I have found that I have saved odd little items not out of sentimentality so much, but because the little item was an "underdog" and that I've "rescued" it.

One of the earlier posts mentioned that it was somewhat normal. Look at little kids and blankees.

I need to run, but would like to add that the medications -really- caused a lot of that to stop. In fact, those old posts seem -really- old... like... did I really think that way????

Take care!

Old 03-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

hangtenvetter HB User

By the way, shaving one leg and then not wanting to leave the other out... makes so much sense to me! I wish we could all get together! It is so funny! Well sorta funny... in an odd sorta way...

Old 03-22-2004, 07:44 PM   #6

jam65 HB User
Smile Re: Do inanimate objects have feelings to you?

I feel the same way about inanimate objects, but never thought that it may have been a symptom of my OCD. I have noticed I am better lately, maybe it's because of the prozac I am on?? Definitaly stuffed animals have been one of the inanimate objects that I have been afraid to hurt. When leaving my room sometimes for a trip or something I have to make sure if I glance at one stuffed animals I have to look at the rest so that I don't hurt their feelings. I feel the same way with my car sometimes and with taking xmas presents back, I feel bad for the clothes I am returning. Anyway good to know Im not alone.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:39 AM   #7
(female)

Froggiegirl HB User

My stuffed frogs have feelings, for each other and for me and other humans. They do not like humans who glare at them and are unkind to them. My favorite frog sleeps with me every night, even if I am away from home. Although I have not been diagnosed with OCD, I do have some characteristics. I alway thought my frogs' personalities were just a substitute for humans. I'd still rather deal with my frogs than humans.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:04 PM   #8

NoonBlueApples HB User

I have a lot of feelings for inanimate objects. Stuffed animals are definitly at the top of my list to the point that I have to kiss them goodnight,(and I am almost 30) this is on top of a lot of other OCD things...but it is so bad that if I want to complain about an inanimate object I have to make sure it doesn't hear me... whether it be my car, house, book, or musical instrument......In addition to this I have gotten to the point that if do anything negative towards an inanimate object I will actually apologize to it, even if it is my dogs toy hedgehog that I accidentally stepped on. It is strange that someone mentioned stuffed frogs, because my most important stuffed animal is my stuffed frog. If my house caught fire I would run through flames to rescue George.

Last edited by NoonBlueApples; 03-23-2004 at 09:26 PM.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:11 PM   #9
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

lol...does porcelline (sp?) dolls make anyone a little edgy? they sure do me...i keep thining "dont make one of them mad" lol

Old 03-23-2004, 11:00 PM   #10

RatGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoonBlueApples
I have a lot of feelings for inanimate objects. Stuffed animals are definitly at the top of my list
Oh my god...and I always thought it was just me. I've had OCD as long as I can remember and I've always had a bit of an obsession with stuffed animals. When I was a kid my parents thought it was hilarious because I called them "my people". Heck I name the registers at work and feel bad for "neglecting" one. These things I know are nuts, but it amuses me to take note of my inclinations toward these things.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:11 AM   #11
(female)

Froggiegirl HB User

NoonBlueApples,

I am the one who mentioned my stuffed frogs. I too would run into a burning building for my frog. I am 41. I have an extensive collection of frogs. Most of them just sit there and look cute, but a few of the stuffed frogs are "part human." They give better (and more frequent) hugs than any human.

You know what is strange? I love to bite my frog. He absolutely hates it and hits me when I bite him. It feels so good, almost like a release, to sink my teeth into him. He also complains of being in pain from being bitten. I know I should not bite him, but it just feels good.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Winnie~
lol...does porcelline (sp?) dolls make anyone a little edgy? they sure do me...i keep thining "dont make one of them mad" lol
ohh yeah...those are FREAKY!!!

Old 03-24-2004, 07:37 AM   #13

red16 HB User

I get like that too! I always have to make sure a stuffed animal is in a comfortable position and things like that. oh and dolls freak me out to lol, I have a fear of talking dolls, I have this american girl doll from when i was younger i think it's under a bunch of blankets on a chair in my room, because I went from taking it everywhere with me when i was younger to being terrified of it, I'm afraid it will attack me or something and now get mad cause i've been hiding it.
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!"

Old 03-24-2004, 10:33 PM   #14

lizhinds1 HB User

I am new to this forum, but from what I have read, I am now convinced that I am not the only one suffering like I do. Yes, I feel sorry for inanimate objects, I cant stand to throw away a glass or cup, shirt, and my old night gowns are so ratty, I just cant give them up, I feel they might get there feelings hurt. I also have to read everything backwards, no matter where I am, I have to read all words backwords. I suffer from extreme anxiety, and suffer daily, if I have a small pain in my side, I then am convinced that I have a disease of some kind. I hesitate to let my boys leave the yard, cause I not only think about what could happen, I VISUALIZE it! I am so frightened, I do everything in my power to stay as close to home as possible.I have taken Paxil, and I am currently on Ativan. I am a basket case!

Old 03-26-2004, 07:15 AM   #15

NewYorker212 HB User

You don't know how relieved I feel! I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one because I'd never heard anyone mention it before. It's funny that two of you mentioned having stuffed frogs, I have a stuffed frog too. My family members want to throw our garbage cans away and get new ones and it's just driving me nuts. I feel like we used them and now we're abandoning them. Someone else mentioned about it being "a normal feeling". These are not normal feelings, no one I know would tell you they can't get rid of an empty lipstick tube because it has feelings. It does slightly interfere with everyone else around me's daily life. I'd much rather have only OCD though than any anxiety disorder (I have everything). I can put up with this. Things just seem ten times as valuable to me as they do to my family members. Thank you all, I feel like I've finally found "my people" lol

Closed Thread