It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
(male)

jianlian HB User
don't you think that...

Don't you find that other people's obsessions are silly, as long as they are not common with yours?

I'm not trying to say anything bad of course, but for example I would find gay obsessions and germ/poison obsessions very silly because I have never had to deal with them. However, others would probably find some of my obsessiosn to be obviously silly.

By looking at other ppl's struggles with OCD helps us understand that our fears are not rational. It's not about the content of the obsession but rather an underlying anxiety problem.

Old 06-06-2004, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

percan HB User
Re: don't you think that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jianlian
Don't you find that other people's obsessions are silly, as long as they are not common with yours?

I'm not trying to say anything bad of course, but for example I would find gay obsessions and germ/poison obsessions very silly because I have never had to deal with them. However, others would probably find some of my obsessiosn to be obviously silly.

By looking at other ppl's struggles with OCD helps us understand that our fears are not rational. It's not about the content of the obsession but rather an underlying anxiety problem.
My therapist actually said this too - that OCDers have very low tolerance for other people's obsessions if they aren't the same as their own! Seems like that's yet another characteristic of OCD!

Percan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2004, 09:19 AM   #3

zec HB User

hej you...

... sometimes i think my OCD is the worst... but now i am able to understand also other people and their ocd.
I think the problem is, that you think "well, if i dont have this and this and this, maybe it is not OCD..." -> it is also a problem that many therapist aren't able to deal in a right way with OCD - so many think, when people are fearing to be gay or to be sexual aroused by an animal... that this is not OCD...
my therapist told me, that the thing people are thinking about is not VERY important... because it is the same thing to all this thougts... fear fear...

ciao,

zec

Old 06-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
(female)

simplyj HB User

I totally agree, for example-I have a fear (phobia) of post-it notes. Now I know that sounds absolutely ridiculous and it's funny even to me. If anyone else were to tell me they had this fear (and I didn't) I would find it completely hilarious but the truth is to me, it's real. I avoid post-it notes at all costs. I have a list of other OCD symptoms, but I must admit the post it note one is by far the silliest and yet I still avoid them. Sometimes it's good to laugh at ourselves

Old 06-07-2004, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Sort of, yea! But I think it's silly for someone to have a fear of something that cannot hurt them at ALL. MY fear is germs, they can hurt, make you sick, make you miserable or even KILL. However I don't fear things like snakes, because I can SEE them and avoid them or I can LOOK for them (like if walking in high grass) - germs cannot be seen, they can be anywhere and everywhere... Also, I dont understand someone's fear like the other poster, of post-it-notes, they can't make her sick, or kill her. No, it's not FUNNY because it's a very real fear to her, but I just can't comprehend that.

(edited for typos!)

Last edited by Sunlover; 06-07-2004 at 06:02 AM.

Closed Thread