It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

jessicaao HB User
Obsessions/fear of doing terrible things while sleeping . . .

I have been suffering from harming obsessions for the past couple of years. I read the book The Imp of the Mind, and it helped me out a lot, and the intrusive thoughts have significantly decreased, and even when I do get them I now know that they are not dangerous. However there is one obsession I can't shake.

I am terrified that I will get up in my sleep and kill my fiance or pets. It's sick and I hate myself for thinking it. I worry about doing other things in my sleep too - the dumbest, most random things like flushing my engagement ring down the toilet or calling the CEO of my company and leaving a nasty message on his voicemail. It's totally ridiculous. Or sometimes I'll envision myself getting up in my sleep and driving to a deserted location and walking out into the middle of the woods, and then I'm terrified that I'll wake up somewhere and not know where I am.

I am fine all day long. I go about my life as normal, and I rarely have intrusive thoughts during the day. But then every night while I am trying to fall asleep, these thoughts torment me and I am terrified to go to sleep. And the thing that really scares me the most is that I have read on the internet about people who have actually done this - gotten up in their sleep and killed someone. Two guys stabbed their wives to death, and then one actually went over to his wife's parent's house and killed his mother-in-law and injured his father-in-law. Two of guys actually got acquitted of murder because of the sleepwalking plea. Supposedly the people do not remember these incidents and while they're sleepwalking, their brain is not fully functioning the way it is while they are awake.

I don't know why I am so worried about this. I have walked in my sleep maybe once in my entire life when I was little, and all I did was walk out into the living room where my parents were watching TV, and they told me to go back to bed and I did. A couple of times I have talked in my sleep, but I usually at least partially remember doing it.

Can anyone relate to this? Please tell me these fears are just yet another manifestation of the obsessive part of OCD, because I'm afraid that just by thinking these things could happen will make my brain think that they should happen and make my body get up in my sleep and do these things.

Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 PM   #2

amyocd HB User
Re: Obsessions/fear of doing terrible things while sleeping . . .

I am / was the same way. Nothing has happened yet so im less worried. And yes, i am pretty sure its ocd.

Do u have a conseller/therapist/doctor that you could discuss this with? maybe the can help u find a way to stop it/

good luck

Old 07-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #3

erin1979 HB User

Hi
I Know How It Feels And I Lmow It Takes Most Of Your Day Up Just Thinking About It !! I Lay In Bed At Night And Have These Dumb Thoughts In My Head That At Times I Have No Control Over Untill I Realize I Am Doing It ....i Hate It. Then I Think To My Self When I Work A Full Week At My Job I Cant Enjoy The Weekend Because I Am Stressed That I Might Forget Everything On Monday Ugggggggg I Hate It .

Old 07-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran

fm5 HB User

Taken from "violent obsessions" thread:

There is a particular case in Edna Foa's book "Stop Obsessing" about a guy who had these thoughts regarding his daughter. Get the book and read it!

What Edna Foa suggests is to actually picture the outcome of your actions in your mind. An example would be:

I am now in the Courtroom. Everyone I know is staring at me horribly. My family thinks I am a dirtbag for doing this. I have alienated all of my family and friends forever. It is now in all of the newspapers and everyone knows about what I did. I will go to jail where I will be by all alone and where I will probably be abused. I will then go to hell where I will be tortured forever, etc.

Go into all the horrid details of what would happen to you - this is important. I only wrote a few sentences. You can write paragraphs! Write them down or Record it. (The more details the better believe it or not.) GO OVER AND OVER WHAT YOU WROTE/RECORDED AGAIN AND AGAIN. You will soon see how totally absurd these thoughts truly are and they will lose their sting on you. Do this everyday for a couple weeks or months (however long it takes for the obsession to fade.) If the obsession comes back, do this exercise over again.

Last edited by fm5; 07-06-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Closed Thread