It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 05:45 PM   #1

LOANOFFICER HB User
Has anybody had a problem with generic Prozac?

I recently had my prescription for Prozac filled and they used the generic. I have been using the generic for almost 3 weeks and I am going backwards fast. I am obsessing alot and had the worst 4th of July. I don't feel like doing anything. Needless to say, I will be contacting my Dr on Tues and having it refilled with the true Prozac. I suffer alot from the pure "O" obsessions and not the compulsive part. I am interested to see if this has happened to someone else?

Old 07-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #2

MikeyB HB User
Re: Has anybody had a problem with generic Prozac?

My first week on (generic) Prozac was good - I began to experience some relief from my depression & OCD symptoms. However, I too have noticed a weakening of its effect during the last 5-6 days. But honestly, I really feel that the fact that we are taking the drug in its generic form has nothing to do with our disappointing experience. Just my opinion...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #3

Healthnut25 HB User

My doctor gave me samples of prozaic then a prescription for the generic. She said that some medicines that have generics don't work that well, but that the generic for prozaic does. I specifically asked for generic though because it is much cheaper on my insurance. I didn't notice a difference when I switched to the generic. Maybe your brain is tricking you into it. You know saying it's not the real thing it won't work as well. One of my friends is about to be a pharmist and he told me that the generic is the same exact thing as the original. I don't know if this helps or not, but though I would share. Oh I am not currently on it anymore as I could not stand the sexual side effects.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:39 AM   #4

MikeyB HB User

Thanks for your post Healthnut. No sexual side effects here. I'd need to be hit by a Mack truck.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

daftthing HB User

I use generic prozac as opposed to brand name - simply because that's what the majority of nhs pharmacy's have. My Dr told me though, to never worry if I get given brand prozac, because it should have no different effects.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:35 AM   #6

MikeyB HB User

For what it's worth, my generic Prozac seems to be making a resurgence in terms of its benefits. Today marks two weeks on a 20 mg dosage. There had been a lapse in its effectiveness for about 5 days following a good first week on the drug. My doc says this is not unusual.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:04 AM   #7

seminolechic HB User

i am on generic prozac and right when i started taking it i felt better. i had two prozac dreams but that is all. my opinion is that it is just because you know it is different that you are feeling different. i think that if you didnt know at all that is the generic you would feel the same as you did on brand name.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:03 AM   #8

SnappDragon HB User

I have omg this is so weird that other ppl go through this too. I have been on Generic Prozac for almost a year now and well I started at 1omg then 20mg 30mg and now 40mg but I have been having bad dreams and death thoughts afraid to die or if I went to sleep I would not wake up again. I would then get myself so worked up that I would have panic attacks and anxiety and never get any sleep. Since it was increased I seem to be alot better now and I think it just had to adjust to my system for a week or two. So far I have gone a week without the death and fear thoughts about dying. I am not sure if it is the Prozac or just my OCD telling me that I have to obsess over this. Whatever it is or was it has gone for now. I still have OCD pretty bad.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #9

LOANOFFICER HB User

Thanks for your answers. I have to update you guys on this situation. Back in May, I got the generic for Prozac at Kmart. I noticed the difference within 2 days. I was coming off from Zoloft which was really not a help at all for my OCD. The next time I had the prescription refilled, I had it filled at Target. Again, it was generic but it looked completely different. It was 20 mg like the other but was a different color and had 2 black stripes on it. As each day went by, I could just feel myself sinking fast and OCD was winning. I am now back on the one that I had good results in May. To make a long story short, I had 2 DIFFERENT generics form 2 entirely DIFFERENT companies. To me this has proved that there is a difference even between generics.

Last edited by LOANOFFICER; 07-14-2004 at 05:47 PM.

Closed Thread