It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2004, 05:34 PM   #1

Healthnut25 HB User
Does anyone else feel this way?

Hi all I am new to this section of the board, but wanted to ask if anyone feels what I am feeling. Well I know that I have Social and General Anxiety disorder, so that may contribute to it, but I do think I am OCD about this one issue. O.k. here it is. I do not like to be alone after dark. I make my husband stay home if my mother can not stay home with me when he is gone. I am constantly thinking that someone is going to break in and rape and murder me. When I have stayed by myself, and have heard a sound, I freak out and start getting really panicy! I always think the worst is outside and that it want to get me. I will not open the door after dark or during the day time if I don't recgonize them. I don't care if they just want to ask a question, I assume they want to harm me whether or not they are male or female. This drives my husband crazy, because he thinks that I don't trust the world today, and he is some what right. I watch the news you really do have to be careful. Also if I am wathcing a movie where some is being tortured badly I start to get a paniac attack. I am so tired of having these feelings. Life is stressful enough without having to worry about who's gonna get me. I have been on paxil, zoloft, and even prosaic in the past, and nothing has ever worked. I really just want to beat this stupid thing. Does anyone have any suggestions. I know I am tired of it, and it drives my poor hubby absolutely crazy. I am an adult in my mid 20's and have been like this ever since I can remember. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks so much and have a great day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 09:59 PM   #2

mef28 HB User
Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

Hi, I do have OCD, and I also have some of the same fears you do. I won't open the door for anyone at my house. I won't even pick up the phone unless the person talks on my answering machine and it is someone i want to talk to. Also, being home alone at night time does freak me out a bit. When I shut off a light in the house that has a window in it, in the back of my mind I always think, "Okay, now whoever is watching out there will know i am not in the room anymore so now they can break in."
I am always on guard, because i am terrified that someone will kidnap me or attack me and then kill me. I know how you feel, i just want to be able to get on with life and not have to be worrying all the time. Now, I haven't been on any medication yet, but I have heard that not every med works for everyone. Sometimes you have to try a few before you get one that works for you. I think I may have social anxiety disorder, as well as OCD. But I hope you feel better knowing that I and I'm sure a lot of other people have some of the same anxiety causing fears you do.
Good Luck in your recovery.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
(male)

burg HB User

removed post, not applicable

Last edited by burg; 11-05-2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: removed post, not applicable

Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #4

Healthnut25 HB User

Thanks for replying and yes it does help to know that there are other people out there that feel the same way. My husband tells me that if I look scared and paranoid that people will know and might attack me because I look vulnerable. I guess he has a point there. And yes I do feel like someone is outside waiting for me to turn off the lights and stuff to go to bed then they will break in. It is so crazy, I just want to be normal, and not think about these things so much. I want to be cautious, but I don't want to live my life scared to death all the time that someone wants to hurt me. Anyway thanks for replying and I do feel a bit better.

Closed Thread