It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #1

KCandtheOCD HB User
First time poster, longtime OCD: I need help..

Hi,

I'm a 21 year old male, from Tennessee. I'm a first time poster, but have battled OCD for 8 years. It was triggered by a freak out over germs.

This morning, I awoke, to use the restroom. Lately, I have had this thing where when talking to someone my intrusive thoughts in my head, will say to this particular person, "They can go to hell." Well, this morning I got up, and herd some chatter from my parents. Somewhere along my barely awakened state, my OCD decided that "I'm not Satan, so I can't bring people to hell", which is where it hit the fan.

Whereas, normally, I would pray a pretty routine prayer to dismiss those thoughts, my OCD took heed to that thought, saying that what if I am Satan. As with most OCD thoughts, I know it is a huge lie, but the anxiety and racing thoughts are still hard to shake. Anyone have something like this before, and if so, any help you can give me on this particular form of OCD?

Old 07-06-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
(male)

jianlian HB User
Re: First time poster, longtime OCD: I need help..

i dont have this form of OCD, but OCD works in basically the same way, it's just that the content is different.

because the thoughts are unwanted, they will always cause anxiety.

Don't try to reason with it. It may feel like it is helping you, but infact it is just delaying the obsession until later, and it will come back stronger. Basically if you say "of course i am not Satan" to yourself, you end up making yourself feel stupid and pathetic for you needing to continually tell yourself something so trivial.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
(male)

burg HB User

Removed due to personal reasons, do not wish to have post here

Last edited by burg; 10-30-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Removed due to personal reasons, do not wish to have post here

Old 07-07-2004, 09:17 PM   #4

expedition HB User

Don't try to run from it, or reason with it. The harder you try to get away, the worse it will get. You have to accept the intrusive thoughts and in a way learn to live with the anxiety, indeed even be ready to challenge yourself for more anxiety. The thoughts won't go away, at least not immediately. Remember, you can't control your impulsive thoughts, but you can control your responses to the impulsive thoughts. Hope that this helps. Good luck.

Closed Thread