It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 10:23 AM   #1

lynn2004 HB User
Unhappy OCD or Anxiety??

I have alot of anxiety and was prescribed Paxil yesterday for this but I was wondering if It could be OCD. My Grandmother had OCD very severly for most of her adult life. I don't have lot of the symptoms she did but I do have a lot of thoughts I obsess about. Things like If I am going to be traveling in my car any distance(30 miles or more) I have All sorts of images or thoughts of all the things that could happen to me or my children, accidents and such.Or laying in bed in the morning thinking about how I might trip and fall down the stairs while carring my baby, and then all these horrible images come into my head of all the ways she could get hurt.So then I am afraid to walk down the stairs or let my dh walk her down. These are just a few examples but this happens all day long. I know my thoughts are irrational but I can't stop thinking them. Any ideas?
thanks
lynn

Old 07-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Inactive

Frank168 HB User
Re: OCD or Anxiety??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn2004
I have alot of anxiety and was prescribed Paxil yesterday for this but I was wondering if It could be OCD. My Grandmother had OCD very severly for most of her adult life. I don't have lot of the symptoms she did but I do have a lot of thoughts I obsess about. Things like If I am going to be traveling in my car any distance(30 miles or more) I have All sorts of images or thoughts of all the things that could happen to me or my children, accidents and such.Or laying in bed in the morning thinking about how I might trip and fall down the stairs while carring my baby, and then all these horrible images come into my head of all the ways she could get hurt.So then I am afraid to walk down the stairs or let my dh walk her down. These are just a few examples but this happens all day long. I know my thoughts are irrational but I can't stop thinking them. Any ideas?
thanks
lynn

OCD means you have an anxiety disorder, it is classified as such but having an anxiety disorder doesn't mean you have to have OCD. Many people with anxiety problems don't have obsessions the way OCD'ers do. But just having obsessions is not necessarily OCD because many "normal" people can have obessions and enjoy being an obsessive. This is not OCD. It maybe something else but not OCD. OCD is when you are having these obsessions and don't want them thus causing anxiety. When we do things to try to get rid of these unwanted thoughts/images/urges these are called compusions which don't do anything but reinforce these obsessions.

Frank

Last edited by Frank168; 07-10-2004 at 12:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
(male)

jianlian HB User
Re: OCD or Anxiety??

i believe that the existence of compulsions (rituals) will tell you if you have OCD.

Compulsions come as a result of Obsessions. These could be specific thoughts that you must think and say to yourself, or acting out or arranging something in a particular way. The "purpose" (they are not actually helpful, except maybe to temporarily relieve some anxiety) of the compulsions is to "fix" the wrong thoughts and prevent "bad" things from happening.

Closed Thread