It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 05:57 AM   #1

seminolechic HB User
lightning

this is my first post so bear with me.

i had meningitis when i was 5 and that brought on ocd. i am lucky in a way because my mom also has it and so she knows what i am going through. i was on zoloft for 6 years and the summer of the 6th year i had like a nervous breakdown. During that breakdown i developed a terrible fear of lightning it is horrible. all i think about all day is what if it lightnings today or what if i have to go outside while it is lightning. i am not as afraid of getting struck but of being scared during a storm. I guess it is more anxiety related. During last summer i started prozac and it helped tremendously. right when i started i noticed a difference. i had a good year and then this summer the fear came back. and while i was on vacation with my dad my mom had emergency brain surgery for a tumor and sist on her brain. so this by far has been the worst summer i think i have ever had. so i have been really stressed which doesnt help the lightning thing.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO HANDLE MY FEAR PLEASE HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/B]

Old 07-13-2004, 06:45 AM   #2
(female)

bm28 HB User
Re: lightning

Hi seminolechic,

Wow, you have had a few things to deal with. You are a very strong person for dealing with what you have in the past. I also have OCD and have fears of dying like almost everyone with the disorder but you are the first person I have heard of to be that afraid of lightning. I think it is normal for people to stay indoors when it's storming for fear of being hit by lighting and I understand that your fear is much more intense. The thing I want to say to you is that YOU WILL NOT BE HIT BY LIGHTNING! I don't know if that will make you feel better but I thought it was worth a try. Good luck and stay strong! You are not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 06:57 AM   #3

seminolechic HB User
Re: lightning

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY BM. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH A LOT AND GET JUST SO OVERWHELMED SOMETIMES. MY PARENTS ARE DIVORCED BOTH REMARRIED.HAVE A 5 YEAR OLD STEPSISTER (VERY ANNOYING) & A 2 YEAR OLD SISTER. MY DAD HAS DIABETES ALMOST DIED WHEN I WAS 2. IT JUST GETS SOOOOO OVERWHELMING! THE WORST PART IS THAT I LIVE IN FLORIDA WHERE IT STORMS ALL THE TIME!!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY THOUGH!!

Closed Thread