It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
Inactive

fuelie_9 HB User
Ocd

what constitutes having OCD?
i always thought that OCD was just obsessively needed to be clean. ive only heard of people having OCD when they constantly wash their hands and that sort of thing.
when someone on the board suggested that i read some stuff on this board i didnt understand. basically what i want to know is what are other things that are diagnosed as OCD.

any help would be appreciated

thanks mel

Old 07-14-2004, 04:17 AM   #2

jorjac HB User
Re: Ocd

Mel, my OCD has nothing whatever to do with being clean, germs, washing hands etc...In fact, the things that bother me are patterns of things like things in circles...holes in things bother me too. I can't stand to look at holes in old tree trunks for some reason, and the sounds of words sometimes bring an image to mind that totally turns me off. However, when I say I can't stand to look, I don't exactly mean that. I'm obsessesd with these images and want to look at them although the sight of them are repulsive to me. My OCD is really hard to explain, but it's mostly visual. I'm continually looking for things to look at. It's like an addiction...an appetite. My sister has the same thing. The same types of things bother her. So, we are convinced that this thing is genetic...Hope this gives you some idea of other kinds of OCD's. What sort of things bother you? J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 06:59 AM   #3

seminolechic HB User

i have ocd and am very not worried aout germs. mine is the fear of what might happen.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #4

Calv1502004 HB User

Hi, Ocd and germs is the mosty common form of ocd which is probably why its the one you've heard of. Basically, im not sure there is a set pattern when it comes to ocd in that way, I think theoretically at least, OCD can really be about anything! Try to look more at what OCD actually is rather than what ocd specifically relates to, do you believe you suffer with any forms of ocd btw? try www.ocfoundation.org for more advice

Calv

Old 07-21-2004, 02:10 AM   #5
Wallcrawling

OCD is not just about washing hands or being overly clean and perfectionistic.

It's about having obsessive or intrusive thoughts that cause anxiety in you. These thoughts are frequent enough to interrupt your daily routines. The thoughts usually (not always though) are accompanied by some sort of compulsion that takes the form of a ritual.The thoughts also are occuring
against the will of the sufferer (they get "stuck" on them and can't stop thinking about them).
In the textbook case, a person may have the thought that they are not clean. This thought causes great anxiety and just won't go away. The anxiety to get rid of the thought (or to appease it) causes the person to wash their hands (the compulsive ritual). The ritual is an attempt to ward off the fear and anxiety that the thought(s) are causing. However, the ritual only brings about a temporary sense of relief, and soon enough the thoughts come back, so the person carries out the ritual again.....and so on.

But the content of the thoughts may be "anything." There are some very common ones: 1)feeling dirty/contaminated; 2) fear of killing a loved one;
3)Fear of being homosexual 3)repeated checking (of locked doors, stoves etc)

These are only some common examples. There are plenty of OCDers who have never been "stuck" on any of these sorts of thoughts. And there are plenty who never carry out a distinct physical ritual (their ritual may be repeating a mantra in their head-----but it is the same mechanism as the typical repeated washing of hands).
There are Pure Os or Pure obsessives who fit into this category of mental obsessions that don't possess any sort of physical rituals-----they may not even have a 'mental' compulsion (mantra) to accompany their obsessions....though most times they do (it just requires some really intense investigation and analysis to identify what their mental compulsion may be). They are for the most part suffering from obsessive thoughts that they can't stop ruminating over.

the basics would be this:

"obsessive/intrusive thought"---->anxiety over thought---> a seeking of relief from the anxiety via a compulsion(some sort of ritual).

The process then repeats itself over and over and over,...and keeps on going in a viscious cycle. It's the repetitious cycle that then consumes much of the person's time and consequently their normal, day to day life suffers quite a bit.

Closed Thread