It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
What Sigmund Freud Said About Ocd

Sigmund Freud called OCD obsessional neurosis in his 1925 book on psychoanalysis. He want on to say, "This is a mad disease, surely. I don't think the wildest psychiatric phantasy could have invented anything like it, and if we did not see it every day with our own eyes we could hardly bring ourselves to believe in it. (ocd). Now do not imagine you can do anything for such a patient by advising him to distract himself, to pay no attention to these silly ideas, and to do something sensible instead of his nonsensical practices. This is what he would like himself; for he is perfectly aware of his condition, he shares your opinion of his obsessional symptoms, he even volunteers it quite readily.
Only he simply cannot help himself; the actions performed in an obsessional condition are supported by a kind of energy which probably has no counterpart in normal mental life. Only one thing is open to him-he can displace and exchange; instead of one silly idea he can adopt another of a slightly milder character, from one precaution or prohibition he can proceed to another, instead of one ceremonial rite he can perform another. He can displace his sense of compulsion, but he cannot dispel it.
This capacity for displacing all the symptoms, involving radical alteration of their original forms, is the main characteristic of the disease; it is moreover, striking that in this condition the opposite -values(polarities) pervading mental life appear to be exceptionally sharply differentiated. In addition to compulsions of both positive and negative character, doubt appears in the intellectual sphere, gradually spreading until it gnaws even at what usually held to be certain."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #2

jorjac HB User
Re: What Sigmund Freud Said About Ocd

Wow! What a posting...we've come a long way, haven't we?

Old 07-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #3

lancethechip HB User

What do you mean Jorjac?

I think he about sums it up.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Yes Freud summed the disease ocd up very well, and he does not offer any help for us sufferers. What I read now states that talking with a therapist does not help OCD much, and that drugs are short term. What is needed is to confront the ocd and learn to recognize the symptoms and retrain your mind to disregard the symptoms and intrusive thoughts.

Some famous people with OCD were Howard Hughes and Katherine Hepburn. Mr. Hughes had germ phobia and ritual repeating of a task until he got it just right. OCD eventually made Hughes a total hermit and he never knew he had OCD. Katherine Hepburn was a friend of Howard Hughes. Hepburn had OCD and took 18 showers a day. Her father was a doctor and him and his son both had ocd. There does seem to be a strong genetic link. The scientists do know that the caudate nucleus of the human brain seems to get stuck on overdrive in people that have ocd symptoms.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #5

jorjac HB User

lancethechip - I guess I wrote my post about Sigmund freud too hastily, but I was impressed with it. You're right he did an excellent job of summing it up. I thought it was incredible that he knew and understood all that in 1929, yet mant doctors today don't know much about it. I, along with many other people, are just beginning to understand what this disease is all about. I guess, though, one almost has to suffer from it to really understand. I know that when I try to explain how I feel when I look at a hole or a crack in floor or a knothole in a tree, or even a pattern of circles etc...my family looks at me like I'm crazy. They try to understand, but I can see it in their expression. The only person who really understands what I'm going through is my sister because she and I have the exact same OCD. We obsess over the same kinds of things. This tells me that OCD is indeed a genetic disorder.

Old 07-16-2004, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

Freud was also heavily using cocaine--obviously

Old 07-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I think Freud understood OCD very well even if he was on cocaine. Freud was 60 years ahead of any other doctor concerning ocd.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

openseason

I must agree that Freud, although I admire him, had a very sick sense of understanding the human mind... I myself have been diagnosed with OCD, my treatment consists of weekly therpy and perscription drugs. My theripist not only helps me, but provides rationalization behind every one of my obsessive thoughts. I do not think it fair that someone would state that meds and therpy do not help someone with OCD. Please give someone the benefit of the doubt before you post something as in ""depth" as Frued..... You must remember how it was when you were obsessing about the most insane things.......

~M~

Old 07-18-2004, 05:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Yes meds help of course. But if one stops taking them the symptoms return. All I am saying is that some people may want to consider retraining their mind if they have bad side effects from the drugs. Therapy in my opinion helps a patient understand what ocd is and how severe. But from everthing I read states ocd is caused by a malfuncton of the caudate nucleus, which cannot be altered by analysis therapy talking. I posted the Freud because his description of ocd describes the disease. There are many people who find a description of the disease helpful. Information can only help shed light on the disease and please dont tell me what to post. The moderator will remove anything objectionable or against policy. By the way people with ocd are not insane as you stated. They are usually intelligent and many scientists have ocd.

Last edited by openseason; 07-18-2004 at 05:56 PM.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:16 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

openseason

I aplogize if I upset you, which in reading your post, I believe I have.
I was not telling you what you should or should not post, I was simply reminding you what in those first few months of obsessing before anyone was there to help felt like. I remember feeling very alone, and if I had read what you posted about Freud's understanding of OCD prior to getting help, I would have begun to obsess over that as well! We are on this board to help each other, and I posted a response to you based only on my ordeal and what I have gone thru. Please remember that there are people out there who have not yet posted, who have not yet been diagnosed, who are scared to death, and who want to believe that there is help for them, which there is.

I am not concerned about a moderator removing anything from my posts, as I have not gone against the "posing regulations" but am simply stating my point to you, as you have stated yours to me.

Furthermore, please re-read my last post and note that I did not state that people with OCD are insane. Your acusation is hurtful, as I myself have been diagnosed with ocd, and am not insane. I clearly stated that prior to being treated, you must remember all the insane things you obsessed about. I am more then willing to have a rational conversation about this with you, but please refrain from accusing me of things I did not say.

~M~

Old 07-19-2004, 07:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Well you stated that "all the insane things I obsessed about". You dont know me and I never had insane thoughts. Once again ocd is not about insane or delusional thinking. I dont know what your specific problem is. We will just have to acknowledge that I dont agree with you about ocd or your approach to the problem.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #12

jorjac HB User

In her statement "all the things you obsessed about", Mlachowicz was referring to people in general who suffer from OCD - not a specific person.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

openseason

I suppose the easiest thing to do is agree to disagree because it is obvious that you are not understanding what I am trying to say. Apparently the way I referred to "insane thoughts" was not in the proper context. What I meant by it was now that I am being treated, I look back and see how obsessed I became about my thoughts. Now that I am in therepy, I am able to rationalize them and see how small they really are. Jorjac hit the nail on the head, is it that difficult to understand, or do you just find comfort in arguing? Like I said in my last post, my intention was not to insult anyone.

jorjac

Thank you very much for your post. It is nice to know that there are people out there who understand I was not in anyway shape of form referring to OCD patients as "insane." I just remember how hard it was in the beginning.....
~M~

Old 08-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #14

catfrogs HB User

openseason - wow - your words astound me and are a pleasure to read - regardless of the confusion -

quickly, becuase this is an older post and i don't know if anyone will read, but i was always under the hopefull assumption that people with ocd were highly tuned, smarter than average individuals as well. i have a higher than average IQ and Hughes and Hepburn didn't seem like dingbats themselves either..

thoughts?

Old 08-15-2004, 09:20 AM   #15

Spiker312 HB User

i always hoped that too

Closed Thread