It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2004, 07:35 AM   #1

Rsspro18 HB User
Does anyone take Luvox (Fluvoxamine)?

Does anyone take Fluvoxamine/Luvox for OCD or Anxiety/Panic?

I'm currently only taking Alprazolam to reduce the anxiety. Doesn't do much to help the OCD, I'm also doing CBT and ERP. I do like Alprazolam, it worked great at first on a low dose but I seem to be needing a bit more as time goes by. It's a very good drug for Panic and Anxiety. I worry about the addiction potential but other than that it works well. Unfortunately I still get a decent amount of general anxiety and breakthrough attacks at around 2.5mgs to 3mgs a day plus I have OCD symptoms so the therapists/psychiatrist think I would benefit from one of the SSRI's and they also don't seem to want to increase the Alprazolam higher than it's at now. They did want to switch me to the XR verision of Xanax which I tried today but it doesn't seem to make any positive difference and just costs more. I tried Zoloft for a few days, felt a bit of stomach discomfort but nothing bad, but than decided I didn't want to take an SSRI (this was probably like 6-7 years ago). Since then I tried Luvox for a day, and I also decided I didn't want to go the SSRI route. No real bad feelings, just anxious. I also tried Paxil 2 seperate times for a day, but felt extremley anxious on it. Again, I think it's more my fear of the drugs than the drugs themselves.

Since it was recommended to me by my present psychiatrsit, I started giving it a try last Tuesday and am starting at a very low dose. I've been taking 12.5mg (Half a 25mg tablet) and today will be the 11th day. I decided to try it again, considering I didn't feel that bad on that one. Actually, it's the generic, but same drug. I've been doing pretty well with few if any side effects and am supposed to raise my dose after two weeks, so probably this Tuesday or Wednesday I'll do it. I'm one of the people who are very fearful of meds and has a hard time getting on them, but luckily so far it hasn't been that bad. The only reason I wasn't 100% sold on using Luvox is because it seems to be a drug that doctors and pshyciatrists don't prescribe, instead they favor Paxil, Zoloft, or Celexa. I'm actually very surprised that Luvox/Fluvoxamine is not prescribed often at all. For some reason all the other SSRI drugs are so frequently prescribed, but Fluvoxamine presriptions in the US are very rare. I took a look at the top 200 prescriptions in the US (internet search) and all the SSRI's are in there. Paxil, Zoloft, and Celexa are in the top 10-20. Prozac is right around there as well, Lexapro too, but Luvox/Fluvoxamine isn't even in the top 200 and hasn't been for years, but after I researched it I found out that it does seem to be as good as the others and some psychiatrists still prescibe it. My psychiatrist told me that most Antidepressant prescription are written by Gerneral Practioners rather than Psychiatrists and they tend to favor what recent information they may be being given. The other drugs are marketed very well. Anyway, I also I know it is FDA approved for children with OCD, as well as adults with OCD. So it seems just as safe as the others. Also, the drug seems as effective as the others, perhaps it's because of marketing and patents. Who knows. You always here about the 5 SSRI's, but really it's mostly 4 of them being prescribed. It's surprising that despite years of safe use, Luvox seems to not be prescribed often.

Anyway, I'm doing fairly well so far, just more nervous when I'm on it. I was basically just hoping to find out if anyone takes or did take Fluvoxamine for Panic or OCD considering that it was the one that was recommended for me. Again, I don't hear much info about it except that I know it is one of the SSRI's although it's not prescribed as often as the others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
(female)

bm28 HB User
Re: Does anyone take Luvox (Fluvoxamine)?

Hi! I'm taking Luvox. I have just recently been diagnosed with OCD within the last few months and this is the first drug I've tried. I started out at a low dose and now I just went up to 150mg. I was doing okay at first with no real side affects but I did notice that my thoughts were slowly going away! It was so bizzare. Then, when I went up to 100 mg., I was having trouble sleeping and I didn't sleep at one point for 2.5 weeks! I went to my Dr. on Friday and he wanted me to continue on the Luvox because it was helping so far with my thoughts and that's when he increased it to 150 mg and he also gave me a sleeping pill. I still am having trouble sleeping (even with the sleeping pill) but that is just my side affect, I'm sure everyone reacts differently. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post I think that the Luvox made me gain some weight. I'm still not sure about that, my Dr. said that it's possible but other drugs such as Paxil make you really gain weight. Also FYI-you may already know this but my Dr. said that in Europe and Canada Dr's prescribe Luvox as an anti-depressant. He said that it just never took off like that here in the US because somehow it became known as solely for OCD. I would really appreciate any feedback or updates as far as how it's working for you. I am a 28 year old female. Thanks! Beth

Old 12-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #3

Rsspro18 HB User

Wow, I notice this reply is coming pretty late. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I'm actually planning on going back on the Fluvoxamine (Luvox) this weekend most likely, or maybe Monday. I took it for about 2 weeks but then I stopped it. I really did not like how I felt on it. I think it's more a mind over matter thing then actual drug side effects. I do worry about losing control, etc. and the 2 weeks I was taking it I felt more on edge and my OCD seemed worse. I think it was the fear of the medication more then anything else. I really do not like the thought of taking any SSRI's or taking any medication that effects brain chemicals. I did not really feel that bad on it, just more irritable, and I also was worried I'd get agitated and hurt myself or someone else. So, I meet with my psychiatrist and we spoke about it, I asked about some other drugs like Celexa and Lexapro but he seemed to feel that what I was experiencing was more because of my fear of the drugs, and it was also because of my OCD and Panic so he recommended I go back on it and try it because as of now we really don't have any evidence that the Fluvoxamine is causing any side effects at all, and if I give it enough time my fear will probably diminish and I will hopefully get a good benefit from the medication. So, that's where I'm at now, If you want, I'll give you an update again once I start taking it again and see how I feel, in the meantime how are you doing? Are you still taking the Fluvoxamine?

Old 12-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

bm28 HB User

Hi! I'm so glad to have someone else to talk to about this. I am still taking it and I've pretty much stabalized at 250 mg. I have been doing really well on this and my Dr. is very happy. The only side effect I've really had is the insomnia. I can't fall asleep without a sleeping pill. I don't even feel like I have OCD anymore.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I didn't gain any weight at all.

Last edited by bm28; 12-10-2004 at 01:43 PM.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
(female)

sjd1654 HB User

Hi,I am taking Luvox also. I was 200 mg. for a couple months. It helped a tiny bit. My thinking seems to be more open to new options of doing things a non-OCD way. Nothing has drastically changed, but slightly. I am also taking Ativan. The Dr. just increased my dose to 300 mg. I will see how that goes. Yesterday was the first day, and I could have fallen asleep anytime anywhere-it made me so drowsy!! But, years ago I tried many, many medications and this combo has the least side effects. The others were very bad shaking, and jittering and foggy headedness, no concentration at all.
I hope the upped dose will help.
Good luck everyone.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

bm28 HB User

For those of you who take high doses of Luvox, does it also help with your depression? As I mentioned, I take 250 mg. of Luvox and I still get depressed some days. I back to my Dr. at the beginning of Jan. and I just wonder if he's going to raise it some more. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
(female)

L.A.M.B HB User

In response to You'r comment about using Luvox to treat depression in Canada and Europe.
I am a no longer depressed Canadian citizen thank's to Luvox, I also have ALOT less problems with my dysphoric premenstrual disorder.
It is such a blessing to have actually found a grug that has worked after suffering from such crippling depression and sucidal thoughts for soooo long.
I pray it works so good for You.
make sure You exercise and eat right thou cuz you may experience slight weight gain

Old 01-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
(male)

dgcango HB User

I am taking Luvox and it has helped but its not a cure-all panacea...which is what i want! ...luvox takes the edge of my ocd symptoms to help me have a better life but i still have ocd. the + effects of luvox take 2-3 months so hang in there. i was taking 200mg of luvox and then i reduced it to 100mg because i was feeling so much better---sheesh that was a mistake...i am now going back to my normal dosage... i have read that ocd is caused by "unresolved" issues/problems/trauma/stess and that until that is rectified your ocd will be with you. good luck in your fight!

Closed Thread