It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User
Trichotillomania?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has ever known someone with trichotillomania (sp?). It's a form of OCD or anxiety disorder where the person picks out their hair to relieve anxiety. They may pick scalp hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, body hair, etc; Does anyone know how to treat this or what steps can help supress the urges? Thanks!

Old 07-19-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
(male)

chad1313 HB User
Re: Trichotillomania?

Yes it is a form of hair pulling. i have ocd and that. I have picked out all my eyelashes and used to have patches of bald spots on my head!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User

Have you found any ways to supress it or help alleviate it? Sometimes I just get in a daze and don't even realize what I'm doing until the damage is done!

Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #4

crazykatlady HB User

Hi-
There are 2 other posts on here that talk about the same thing.Curiouson page 2, and Neurotic Excoriation pg 3. I posted on curious and totally understand that "dazed feeling" I could never explain it to anyone...I had no control
Good luck

Old 12-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

ParanoidHelix HB User

I know how you guys feel It kills me cause I'll have good months, and my eyelashes will grow back partially, and I'll be so happy, but then it's like, I noticed it, and late at night (I'm an insomniac) I always end up pulling them out again so I can calm down enough to sleep...and when I'm bored..and when I'm feeling really freaked, my eyes just itches where the lashes are and I keep thinking, "If I pull THIS one out it will stop." but it just keeps going and going until they're all gone. I can't explain it. I hate doing it, but it doesn't completely occur to me when I'm doing it. All I know is that it stops itching, and I feel really bad and terrible afterwards. I haven't had eyelashes since I was 9 or 10, about 5 or 6 years..I'm worried I may never have any again.I can't put lotion or almond oil (Or something close to that, someone told me rubbing almond oil or something like that makes scalp hair grow back quicker and stop itching. I never tried it myself, since I only pull out maybe 1 scalp hair a month.) on them, which sucks cause it's all anyone talks about. I do other things to occupy my hands all the times, but the itching and irritation becomes unbearable and I just HAVE to pull them all out..I wish there was a cure for this, I really do. Nobody seems to get it, they all think I do it for the attention or they think I can just drop it like a regular bad habit, but most of us know it surely isn't NEAR that easy. If anyone knows how to help us eyelash pickers out here then by god I'm ready for any advice. Seriously. I've tried everything. I mean, I'm not even depressed or anything! It's just the need to do it, and I like the spacey relaxation I go into when I'm doing it. I just hate the feeling I have afterwards, like I'm slowly pulling myself apart and making myself uglier every time.

Good luck to all you other Trichsters out there, and hopefully someone can help us one day

Closed Thread