It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
(male)

Spuncrzy1605 HB User
OCD and Prozac

Hello all
I was on Prozac for 2 years when I asked my doctor if I could possibly try to ween myself off because I was feeling fine. Bad IDEA! After that I had extreme OCD and anxiety. Now it's been almost 2 years since I quit Prozac, and struggling to just make it through the day. I have a very bad fear of that if I am in public, my face will get red. So of course, since I obsess about it, it happens. Face is always flushed. All day long I fight the thought of turning red. I recently went back to the doctor and decided to go back on Prozac because I can't take it anymore. I was just wondering if anyone here has luck with Prozac and their OCD. Thanks

Old 07-20-2004, 08:56 AM   #2

lancethechip HB User
Re: OCD and Prozac

So you felt great and then went off the meds and you were back to square 1?

Last edited by lancethechip; 07-20-2004 at 08:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2004, 09:46 AM   #3

sostupid HB User
Lightbulb Re: OCD and Prozac

Hi There,
I've been on Prozac for 10+ years now after I had protected sex on a one night stand, worried about hiv even though it was protected and experts have said forget about it and get on with your life.....I stopped taking them last year and have gradually gone downhill since, have recently split up with longterm girlfriend and have had 2 one night stands since, my fears have come flooding back like a bursting dam, thinking I have hiv and all kinds which is impossible as all the experts say so, as above forget it and get on with your life ! also a lot of other bad things have happened to me, losing job etc etc.....now back on them for 2 weeks 2* 20mg a day and slowly getting better, my doctor says that my brain does not produce enough serotonin so I should take them for the rest of my life, trust me, I know a few people that have stopped taking them when things are going fine, then when something happens it's back to square one, my advice is keep taking them, I can only speak very highly of them, hope this helps...Kind Regards

Old 07-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #4

shye&curious HB User
Arrow Re: OCD and Prozac

wow, i'm glad i read this thread... one of the first ones where people have positive things to say about prozac... i just took my first 20mg pill today... for ocd and depression... i've really scared myself by reading all the bad sie effects etc that people talk about on the internet... it's nice to see that it does work for some people!

spuncrzy... i'll keep you posted on how prozac works for my ocd... i understand though that the meds may not take effect for 4-8 weeks... so are you saying that prozac did or didn't work for you?

regarding side effects and prozac... for those who have taken it for awhile... what are your sexual side effects? and any weight loss or gain? thanks so much

Old 07-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #5

sostupid HB User
Post Re: OCD and Prozac

Hi there,
I remember getting the odd hot flush/sweaty but went after 2 weeks, my doc says it takes usually 2 weeks to 'kick in' but by does was upped to 40mg a day last week and am already feeling better.
Obviously for some people it may not be the right thing but I know 3 people now and all have said its helped a lot, don't forget, if it works, don't stop taking it when your better, speak to your doc about taking it long term
(watch out for interactions with other meds)
my doc told me never to stop taking it again, I WON'T !!

p.s. I have had slight problems in gaining an erection in the past and this is one of the side effects listed, don't let this put you off....
Good luck, best wishes all

Last edited by sostupid; 07-20-2004 at 01:05 PM.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #6

shye&curious HB User

hey, thx for ur input!
i'm just so glad to hear that it DOES work for some people, hopefully i'm one of those...

since i'm a female, i won't be having any erection problems... i'm just worried about ruining the sex life between my bf and i... because i've heard that prozac dimishes practically everyones libido/sex drive... that just doesn't thrill me! i feel like that would just depress me more right there...

Old 07-21-2004, 08:15 AM   #7

sostupid HB User
Lightbulb Re: OCD and Prozac

I did think that I could be talking to a female, but thats my experience, don't be negative about taking them, it's their to help, ask your GP about any issues you have, take care

Old 07-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
(female)

Mom2ocder HB User

My 15 year old son has started Prozac for OCD about 3 months ago and has had very good results so far. I was told that 80 mg.to 100 mg was what the usual dosage would be to help control it. He started at 20 mg. and just started 80 mg. His washing has subsided dramatically. For the first time in a year, he was able to to use his computer without having to spend an hour doing his washing routine beforehand. (One of his OCD problems) He was surprised himself. He said it was hard...but he was victorious and I congratulated him for kicking OCD"S butt! He feels empowered for the first time in a year.
His OCD is mainly washing excessivly, avoidance of germs (things or people that he thinks might be germy) and wierd fears of certain foods that he considers 'greasy or fatty' that disrupt his eating habits.Some days, it almost bordelines Anerexia. It even extends to what others in the family eat. If I eat pizza, he can't be near me for the next day......

We went down the wrong horrible road for a year with Zoloft. It compounded the OCD. Even brought about bi-polar symptoms. Without even considering that the medication was making it worse (he kept insisting that the OCD was just getting worse), the Dr. just kept uping the dosage. When he was maxed out on Zoloft, he added Risperdol....He then became suicidal, talked to himself, saw images that flashed in his brain, spit on walls and was failing every single class in school, and still had his OCD with no relief. When maxed out with the Risperdal....they tried to add Depekote and suggested that he go to a "special school"...and I said, "See you later, I am getting a second opinion." Best decision I ever made. With Prozac, I have my son back....with his sweet disposition, he's activley participates with the family, has an A in summer school and has the ability to try and fight this dreaded disease.

So, I have to say, Prozac has been wonderful for my sons OCD.
Mom2ocder

Old 07-22-2004, 04:21 AM   #9

Calv1502004 HB User

My experience of prozac on the whole has been positive, I take it in its generic form though, called Fluoxetine. I don't think there is any real difference between the two but im sure someone will correct me if im wrong about that. I suffer from thoughts about being gay when im not, a child molester, murderer that kind of horrible stuff. I am on 20mg per day and have not noticed any side effects. For a while I woke up earlier than usual but that seemed to clear in a couple of weeks. It had a very positive effect on my thoughts and quality of life after about 1-2weeks, but the first week it was worse! My thoughts were worse before they got better, that is common so be careful of this. It can take up to 12 weeks for OCD meds to have a full effect, I was lucky as it took nowhere near that long. I would say recently, my meds have started to become less effective and so I think perhaps I need to up my dose.

Calv

Old 07-22-2004, 06:25 AM   #10

sostupid HB User

Fluoxetine / Prozac are exactly the same....
It does depend on the person as to how long it takes to 'kick in' but hang in there, I'm very pleased for the earlier postee about her son, sound like you had a nightmare and Prozac has helped tremendously, just listen to your new GP as I'm sure he'll say never stop taking them, there is no stigma attached to it....hope all are coping...

I'm having a bad day....still thinking about hiv when I know 99.99999999999999999 % ? I aint got it ?, docs and experts in it's field say forget it and get on with your life, you "DO NOT HAVE IT"........It's very scary but I'll be fine soon (finger crossed)..been ok for a week now, i do also take diazepam just to calm me down during a panic attack like this one now and it does help.....time for 2mg I think .....Kind Regards

Old 07-22-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
(male)

Spuncrzy1605 HB User

Yes, I was feeling fine and then went off of Prozac. The doc told me it was ok to ween myself off. I have had OCD for as long as I can remember. It started when I was young and it was the whole number thing. Everything had to be in even numbers. Drove me nuts. Well, I've been back on for about 4 weeks now. Feeling a bit better. As long as I keep busy I am ok. If I sit, my mind goes nuts and it comes back. I read that OCD is an anxiety disorder. I'm not sure if Prozac is for anxiety disorders, but it is for OCD. So dunno. Hopefully all the bad thoughts will disappear in time. I imagine that I will take Prozac for the rest of my life, cuz I never want to go through that again. As far as side effects of Prozac, I never really had bad ones. It has delayed orgasm a bit but not too bad. Good luck to all.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #12
(female)

Mom2ocder HB User

My son does complain of excessive tiredness and takes a long nap everyday. Is this the Prozac making him tired? Since he is 15 and going through a huge growth spirt, I was assuming that may be to blame but now I wonder. Have any of you noticed this side affect?
thanks

Also, I wanted to give a bit more warning about the Zoloft. While he was on Zoloft, he continually woke up all night long and could never get any rest, had constant disturbing dreams, he was very aggitated and full of anxiety, couldn't listen or reason with anyone, just plain didn't care about what was right, wrong or acceptable. Lost all inhibition, He could not be reasoned with because he could not comprehend what was really being said. He was aggressive and wanted to physically fight us. He shut down emotionally and verbally to everyone including the Doctors. He had no remorse for anything that spewed from his mouth. It was like a monster invaded him.

If any of you are feeling like this on your meds and you didn't beforehand, please try a new medication. If the Doctor refuses, like his did, insisting that his illness was just progressing, GET A NEW DOCTOR.....My son lost a year of his life and we went through an emotional hell and we almost lost him to suicide. Had I continued to have faith in this particular Doctor, I have no doubt that my son would have become a statistic....This medication "created" illnesses that he did not have. They were in the works of diagnosing him bi-polar with schizophrenic tendencys along with OCD, Anerexia and a personality disorder. They wanted to have him put in a special school for mentally ill teenagers. Had I followed through, they would have screwed up his entire life for the rest of his life.

I just feel that this is important information that should be shared. By the way, his new Doctor cannot believe he was never given a new medication when the symptoms began to appear.. because they are suppose to look for these exact symptoms. And in all fairness to Zoloft, I was told that it usually has the least side affects....and the ones he experienced are usually more frequent in Prozac. Go figure......but everybody responds differently...so listen to your body and don't hesitate to get that second opinion.

My son is finally able to fight his OCD!

mom2ocder

Old 07-23-2004, 12:48 PM   #13
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
Smile Re: OCD and Prozac

Hello, there,

My ravings about the wonders of Prozac and how it saved my mental life may heighten your suspicion that you're being proselyticed to by a pharmaceutical rep!!! LOLOL!! But I swear--you're not!

From the time I was about 25, (I'm 58 now), I felt paralyzed by obsessive thoughts. There was no one area that my thoughts "specialized" in--but without needing to do much self-analysis, it became obvious to me that they were most often centered on guilt...connected with those I loved (family, friends, my beloved dog!) I spent hours trying to get the "right" thought (which I'm sure everyone here is familiar with! )....which for me was being able to follow through a (semi)rational thought about the loved one, accompanied with a "good" feeling. You know...a warm, loving thought about the person, as in "they know I love them, they know what I meant when I said that, etc, etc." In other words....it all had to be a "good thing." Hey! Just like Martha Stewart!! LOLOL

An example would be: Ready for this one??? When I left my dog alone for the day, I'd have to "get it right" before I walked out the door--feel reassured that he understood why I was leaving him, that he knew how much I loved him, that he was happy...and so forth. Of course the "kicker"--the thing that kept me from leaving for work without repeating this farewell sequence over and over--was that, as I closed the door and thought "he knows that I don't want to leave him", etc....I had to get the thought just right in my mind! A happy vision of Oliver and I, going our separate ways for the day...but knowing we loved one another. (What?? You mean to say that most people don't do this every day?? Anthropomorhicise their dogs and feel waves of happiness as they imagine him sharing contented thoughts with them?!!!?? LOLOLOL!!! )

(Before I proceed, I forgot to start this post by saying that I can find the funny side of just about everything!! And that having a sense of humor about all this has undoubtedbly saved me from those little men in white jackets! I have always had a very dark sense of humor--and, even as I felt ready to do absolutely anything to end the horror of spending hours and hours each day obsessisng...I still knew how humorously bizarre my thoughts would seem to others!!! I have an identical twin with the exact same problem...and we spent many evenings laughing about ourselves.)

Anyway, of course, just TRYING to get the right feeling with a thought is the best way to ensure that you will feel some "bad" thought....in this case, Oliver being angry with me. Oh, nooooooo.

For years, this insane way of living my life continued (i.e.; disappearing at work into numerous Ladies' Rooms to get some thought "right", so I could proceed with my work!!! (NOT good when you're working at a news magazine, where time is everything!) No matter what the situation...I could turn some aspect of it into some huge, out-of-control, inpenetrable thought sequence that became so complicated, I practically needed a pad of paper to draw those "tree diagrams"--with all the thoughts branching off into different directions!!

But then--about 15 years ago...when Prozac arrived on the scene...my doctor, who'd tried (and he wasn't the first) varying forms of therapy--behavioral, analytic, etc, etc.--said 'I think we should try this new Prozac." Here was a drug that specifically tackled obsessive/complusive problems--so I was very, very anxious to try it.

Well...after the first couple of weeks...when I felt a bit anxious and "wired"....I suddenly realized that a miracle was slowly taking place. Each day, the obsesssions were becoming less "pressing"....I'd start one....but barely had the need or desire to go into my usual complex routine. Somehow, it just didn't seem imperative any longer. It's like my mind began to relax...to "let go"...and, even when I was going through an obsessional thought process....often the "good" thought would just suddenly BE there! No real effort required.Then, as the months went by, there seemed to be less and less of a need to even DO all this kind of thinking. And...finally, within about 9 months, (and after so many years of misery) I realized the symptoms were down about 90 percent.

This was the greatest gift I could have ever received. I had suffered severe depression from years and years of putting all my mental energy into each lingering thought. My life had just not been my own. Even, reading--which is one of my favorite things--had become so difficult..."too many thoughts to take care of!!!" There wasn't anything that hadn't been destroyed by these intrusive, unyielding thoughts. Until Prozac.

I started at 20 mg the first week, then went to 40 mg for about a few more--and gradually landed up at 80 mg a day....based on a blood test my psychiatrist, did after two months to see just how much of the drug was actually IN my blood. Turned out my "therapeutic window" was very, very high---and that I needed at least that 80 mg (four pills a day) for the drug to even register as being in my brain.

No, I've never come off Prozac. Twice he suggested I lower the dose 20 mg a day just to see what happened. And, in both cases, within three weeks or less, I became more obsessive....and went back to the 80 mg.

I was one of the lucky ones who did not develop side effects (although--blush-blush--I'm no expert on the sexual symptoms! Never been a priority for me.) All I know is that Prozac "saved my life"--I was living at about 25 percent capacity by the time I began taking it. No real life at all. Whether the depression made the obsessions worse...or vice versa...was by that time a moot point to me....I was just miserable. And this drug--these 4 pills a night--gave my life back to me.

So....should you definitely give yourself the time necessary to see how it works?? A resounding YES. (I now take Wellbutrin as well...it sort of supplements the Prozac as far as the depressive aspect of my illness.)

I wish you the very best in finding this drug as wonderful a solution as it has been to me. Please let us know, as the weeks go by, how you are doing!! I would love to know if it helps you. And if I can help with any questions...just ask.

my very best, Lynn

Closed Thread