It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #1

DesertSkies03 HB User
Question ocd & Pregnancy: have question about medication

I have OCD but I am also currently pregnant. My OCD hasn't been too bad for awhile now but it's been getting a little worse recently along with some depression. As much as I hate the idea of going on a medication while being pregnant I feel that I may not have much of a choice at this point. I would like to keep my stress level to a minimum. I was on Prozac with my first child during the pregnancy but didn't need anything with my second. This is our third child. I was just wondering if anyone with OCD, and pregnant, has taken anything during the pregnancy and what was it? I'm just curious as to which medications are considered safe during the pregnancy and which ones seem to help the most with OCD. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
Re: ocd & Pregnancy: have question about medication

DesertSkies03

I would like to start by saying CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

I am not currently pregnant, however, I do have a 15 month old daughter. It was not until after she was born that I was diagnosed with OCD. My Dr's explained that I had OCD my entire life, but it lay dorment until I became pregnant. It is proven that OCD tends to become more prominent while a woman is pregnant. I guess it is all the hormones and everything. Anyhow, I am currently taking Zolft and was concerned about taking it when we decided to have another child. My Dr comforted me stating that is is completly safe to take thru-out pregnancy and even if you breastfeed. If you find yourself down and out, I think you should go talk with someone. Your OCD may do worse to your child then the medicine that helps it! You have got to take care of yourself!
Good Luck!
~M~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 08:30 AM   #3

DesertSkies03 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachowicz
DesertSkies03

I would like to start by saying CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

I am not currently pregnant, however, I do have a 15 month old daughter. It was not until after she was born that I was diagnosed with OCD. My Dr's explained that I had OCD my entire life, but it lay dorment until I became pregnant. It is proven that OCD tends to become more prominent while a woman is pregnant. I guess it is all the hormones and everything. Anyhow, I am currently taking Zolft and was concerned about taking it when we decided to have another child. My Dr comforted me stating that is is completly safe to take thru-out pregnancy and even if you breastfeed. If you find yourself down and out, I think you should go talk with someone. Your OCD may do worse to your child then the medicine that helps it! You have got to take care of yourself!
Good Luck!
~M~
Thank you very much! Can't wait to find out if we are having a girl or a boy LOL.
Anyway, thanks for responding. I go in to see my OBGYN today so I'll see what he thinks. Hopefully all will go well!

Old 07-21-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
(female)

simplyj HB User

Hi Desertskies,

Congratulations! I am currently on Zoloft for my OCD. I started taking Zoloft in February 2003 after my daughter was born (in January) I knew for years before I got pregnant that I had OCD but I was able to mange well without the help of meds. Once I gave birth, I experienced post-pardum depression which just made my OCD too much to deal with so my doctor prescribed Zoloft. Although I am not pregnant now, my husband and I are thinking of trying to get pregnant in September. To my understanding Zoloft is considered safe to take during pregnancy but I am not a medical professional so you should definitely speak with your doctor and go with his/her advice. Best of luck to you.

J.

Old 07-23-2004, 08:50 PM   #5

DesertSkies03 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyj
Hi Desertskies,

Congratulations! I am currently on Zoloft for my OCD. I started taking Zoloft in February 2003 after my daughter was born (in January) I knew for years before I got pregnant that I had OCD but I was able to mange well without the help of meds. Once I gave birth, I experienced post-pardum depression which just made my OCD too much to deal with so my doctor prescribed Zoloft. Although I am not pregnant now, my husband and I are thinking of trying to get pregnant in September. To my understanding Zoloft is considered safe to take during pregnancy but I am not a medical professional so you should definitely speak with your doctor and go with his/her advice. Best of luck to you.

J.
Thank you! I went to the OBGYN and he said Zoloft should be ok but my other doc said that there weren't any studies on Zoloft and pregnancy and suggested that Prozac would be better. I don't know why the doc said that about there not being any studies because I found an article online that said there was. Oh well, if worse comes to worse (praying it wont) I'll just have to go on one of them as I don't want to cause any complications from having to go through too much stress. I have a few different forms of OCD with unwanted intrusive thoughts/compulsions being the worst so that is the only reason I would consider taking medication during the pregnancy in the first place. Hopefully all will go well though. For now all I can do is leave it all in God's hands and pray for the best!

Last edited by DesertSkies03; 07-23-2004 at 09:09 PM.

Closed Thread