It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User
To Embarassed to Seek Help...

Hello, Everyone!
I really need some of your wonderful advice about whether to seek help for a certain problem that I have had for years now. If anyone has dealt with this, or has some advice, I would appreciate your posts .

My Story: Ever since I was about three years old, I have picked my fingernails (and, in later years, my toe nails ) and pulled out strands of my my own head hair. I know that the hair pulling behavior has a name--Trichotillomania--so I have been looking up information about it, as well as doing some reading about it. I have found some helpful behavior modification techniques that have worked for some sufferers of this disorder. The one that I like most is squeezing a stress ball any time that I get the urge to pick my nails or pull my hair. It has actually helped me a little bit, but not to the degree that I was hoping it might. I made copies of the worksheets in a couple of the books that I borrowed from the library (about Trich and OCD), and I'm planning to use them in the hopes that they, too, will contribute to the curbing of these behaviors.

At the moment, I am taking 40 mgs of Prozac for Depression. My boyfriend and I both suffer from forms of Depression, so he is very aware of my behaviors, and knows about the Trichotillomania and, of course, the fingernail picking. He has suggested that I talk with my pdoc about my Trichotillomania to see whether there might be a different medication that I can take, or therapy that might benefit me. He knows that I have been trying to fight it on my own, and that I am having minimal success, and knows how frustrated I am feeling about it.

The issue here is that I am nervous/anxious about telling my pdoc about my behaviors. I am embarassed about them, and I feel like I should be able to overcome them on my own. The fact is I haven't been able to, and I really do need someone who is more knowledgeable about this disorder to talk with. How can I get over my embarassment enough to talk with my pdoc? I am also worried because I have never mentioned these behaviors to them, and fear the questioning that might follow...such as "why didn't you tell us before?", etc. Does anyone have any advice/words of wisdom that they can share with me that might help me to overcome my fears about talking with my pdoc about this?

Thank You So Much in Advance ,
Colleen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread