It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2004, 08:29 AM   #1

sportsgrl HB User
Inappropriate Religious Thoughts

Hi,
I was interested in hearing from people who suffer from inappropriate religious thoughts. This began happening to me out of absolutely nowhere about 5 months ago and has taken a lot of my joy away. I was wondering how others of you who have had the same problem have been able to get past it and continue in your faith. Some days I am sure it is OCD and that I am not to blame for the thoughts that I have and at other times I feel completely hopeless and like I'm the worst person in the entire world. I also try to avoid religious pictures, statues, etc. because it is almost like I am compelled to think something horrible. It is hard for me to ever focus my attention on anything else because of how horrible this makes me feel. Hearing from others would be great so we could support each other and offer advice. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Inactive

ontheway HB User
Re: Inappropriate Religious Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgrl
Hi,
I was interested in hearing from people who suffer from inappropriate religious thoughts. This began happening to me out of absolutely nowhere about 5 months ago and has taken a lot of my joy away. I was wondering how others of you who have had the same problem have been able to get past it and continue in your faith. Some days I am sure it is OCD and that I am not to blame for the thoughts that I have and at other times I feel completely hopeless and like I'm the worst person in the entire world. I also try to avoid religious pictures, statues, etc. because it is almost like I am compelled to think something horrible. It is hard for me to ever focus my attention on anything else because of how horrible this makes me feel. Hearing from others would be great so we could support each other and offer advice. Thanks!

hey there

I can relate to you, thats basically what i suffer from is the religious intrusive OCD thoughts, I have a hard time myself thinking ok this is OCD and i can move on because I get other thoughts such has what if when in reality its OCD I was not very religious either and then all the sudden boom it hit me i would see bad images and then the thoughts came they get me so confused to the point where i could not function its still hard because most everything I do OCD is with the religious thoughts bothering me when i buy things or when i think things or anything. It's very hard to have a relationship with the Lord but i do talk to Jesus everyday part of the OCD ritual because when I pray i feel better but I cant even pray in peace without another bad thought or seeing something bad I really hate this part of OCD it really cause me so much distress and pain in my life because I'd love to feel that I'm ok with God, God is not mad at me, but I feel otherwise due to OCD mostly I know God is very kind and loves us and he understand what we are going thru better then we understand it and he is our bestfriend and he does not hold OCD againts us even when we think he does... I want to be at peace and have these thoughts stop i have gone astray from God and sometimes scared to go back because of the bad thoughts but I know God loves me and is there for me no matter what he won't leave, It just hard to feel him when im so troubled with thoughts about good and bad It really makes life not as fun and does truly steal the Joy out of life but I'll never let God go.. God said his understanding is infinite and he understands everything and all things he is not sitting up in heaven waiting for us to mess up so he can say ok she messed up and keep points he is a forgiving God and he is an understanding God he wants you to be very happy and have a joyful life he wants that for all of us..I know its so hard to go thru this I have come along way from what I use to feel or think like and that in itself is a blessing from Jesus I hope to do better i have mood siwngs because these stupid thoughts contorl my actions and its frustrating so much to me.. but I can relate when it comes to the unwanted intrusive thoughts please hang in there (( hugs )) I would give you my e-mail but they dont allow that on her and will kick me off like last time i gave out my e-mail LOL Jesus loves u so much always know that...I'm not sure what to say when ur going thru a hard time except hang in there..and know Jesus is right there beside you and loves u no matter what goes on inside ur mind and is your help It would be nice take care God bless u always

Love ur friend

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2004, 08:25 PM   #3

sportsgrl HB User

Thanks for your support. Half the battle is knowing that none of us are alone in our struggles. You seem to have a really good outlook. Take care.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Thank you

I know its hard when you feel like is this only me ?
but It feels Good to know that others are like me so that
I know It's really a illness I seem to be able to give good advise on things
but when I'm in the middle of an OCD attack I call it, It's hard to take that advise I gave when I should take it. It just is confusing at the time but I know God loves us for sure, and that he forgives for sure, and that he cares about us for sure, I should have faith that oneday I'll be able to have a normal relationship with Jesus. Take care of you, Let me know how you are doing anytime ? God bless u always (( hugs ))

Old 07-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #5
(female)

flossie22 HB User

hi there, my battle with ocd started with having religious thoughts that i was posessesed after watching the exorcist. believe me, if you have faith in God that he will protect you, you can get through anything. nothing that you are thinking is from your own mind, and one thing that i learned to do when i was experiencing this was to say, "God arises, and enemies scatter:". Also, anytime a bad religious thought comes to mind, just say ":Jesus". the name alone has so much power, more than you realize. Going to prayer groups helped a lot for me too. You will get through it. Unfortunatly, it will probably move to anther obsession, but you will get through. Take care.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

My daughter could have written your post sportsgrl!! She goes through this exact thing and it upsets her so badly! How old are you? My daughter is 16. I too suffered from this sort of thing as a teen and early 20's, it would cause depression and severe anxiety. As I got older I realized that for us to be bad we have to WANT to and deliberately do something. Thoughts popping into our minds are not wrong. Sometimes of course I bet you're not even sure if they popped in or did you deliberately think it,then you get all upset, right? I had developed an OCD counting problem at the time over this - I'd have to count to four to blank my mind, the more I tried to blank my mind the more nervous I became, it was almost like I HAD to think a bad religous thought in order for me to relax!

For 9 months I could hardly function, I'd pull over to the side of the road because I was crying so bad I couldn't see the road! I felt I was doomed to hell because of my thoughts. I got so bad one night that I thought I was having a nervous breakdown, it was 3am and I was laying in bed crying really bad (I was about 20), well almost audibly I heard, "Relax, God will not let your burdens grow one ounce to heavy for your strength" Almost like a whisper in my ear!!! it was the most comforting thing that ever happned to me in my life!! Right after that I began crying again... for JOY, I felt such peace. I fell asleep in 10 minutes - somehow I just KNEW it was God letting me know I wasn't held accountable. I am 45 now and still on occassion have a thought or 2, but it's fleeting, the OCD is gone, it left me that night, 25 years ago.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:17 PM   #7

sportsgrl HB User

Hi Sunlover,
Thanks so much for your encouraging post. What a wonderful message of reassurance you received!! I know exactly what you mean when you said you felt you HAD to think a bad thought. I can also relate to you waking up in the middle of the night in a panic, or not even being able to get to sleep in the first place. I've been reading every OCD book and watching every video I can get my hands on. I am just finishing Jonathan Grayson's book "Freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" which has been very helpful. I also enjoy listening to spirituality tapes, books and videos from Dr. Wayne Dyer. He is so encouraging. These things might help your daughter too. Take care.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossie22
hi there, my battle with ocd started with having religious thoughts that i was posessesed after watching the exorcist. believe me, if you have faith in God that he will protect you, you can get through anything. nothing that you are thinking is from your own mind, and one thing that i learned to do when i was experiencing this was to say, "God arises, and enemies scatter:". Also, anytime a bad religious thought comes to mind, just say ":Jesus". the name alone has so much power, more than you realize. Going to prayer groups helped a lot for me too. You will get through it. Unfortunatly, it will probably move to anther obsession, but you will get through. Take care.
hey
I have a question, How long did your religious thoughts last ? because mine started with the bad images of bad things and then went to the thoughts in time I think i've been dealing with these thoughts i would guess for about 2 or 3 years its very hard on me because when a bad bad thought goes away another abad religious thought is replaced it usually works like that i dont knoow as of now but i still struggle pretty bad especially today has been not good for me sometimes i feel like im in trouble when I've not done anything it just a thought that gives me that feeling, I would ratter go to other obsessions then have these religious ones they ruin my life at this point in my life im alot better but the thoughts still try to ruin me thanks for listening God bless u always

Old 07-28-2004, 10:20 PM   #9
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlover
My daughter could have written your post sportsgrl!! She goes through this exact thing and it upsets her so badly! How old are you? My daughter is 16. I too suffered from this sort of thing as a teen and early 20's, it would cause depression and severe anxiety. As I got older I realized that for us to be bad we have to WANT to and deliberately do something. Thoughts popping into our minds are not wrong. Sometimes of course I bet you're not even sure if they popped in or did you deliberately think it,then you get all upset, right? I had developed an OCD counting problem at the time over this - I'd have to count to four to blank my mind, the more I tried to blank my mind the more nervous I became, it was almost like I HAD to think a bad religous thought in order for me to relax!

For 9 months I could hardly function, I'd pull over to the side of the road because I was crying so bad I couldn't see the road! I felt I was doomed to hell because of my thoughts. I got so bad one night that I thought I was having a nervous breakdown, it was 3am and I was laying in bed crying really bad (I was about 20), well almost audibly I heard, "Relax, God will not let your burdens grow one ounce to heavy for your strength" Almost like a whisper in my ear!!! it was the most comforting thing that ever happned to me in my life!! Right after that I began crying again... for JOY, I felt such peace. I fell asleep in 10 minutes - somehow I just KNEW it was God letting me know I wasn't held accountable. I am 45 now and still on occassion have a thought or 2, but it's fleeting, the OCD is gone, it left me that night, 25 years ago.

oh wow thats really amazing what the Lord did for you, I wish these religious thoughts would leave me they have taken away from my life so much its such a struggle sometimes really bad other times im ok today was a bad day for me these thoughts get worst and worst thru time with what they come up with, I hope the Jesus will touch my mind and heal me from these thoughts I know I'd have a good life and be happy if he would my therapist said that we all are born with a burden and if the Lord does not take it away we have to learn how to deal with it. I dont know how to deal with it, I use to hurt myself i get so angry inside i cant hear anything that is about bad things it effects me so bad im just scared alot and dont know how to rid myself of these religious thoughts I'm not sure why Jesus does not take them away from me, maybe to keep me in line ? maybe to build my strength, or maybe because im scared to be without them too because I'd be normala nd i could get a Job and im scared too.. so maybe its because i dont really want too, but i do really want to be free of religious thoughts they ruin my life and they try to and they hurt so much, thanks for listening God bless u always (( hugs ))

Old 07-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #10

red16 HB User

I'm jewish and anything to do with other religions tends to freak me out, especially when I see crosses or hear the words jesus or christ. I'm terrified of doubting my religion and can't say prayers because my ocd always messes them up. I feel like horrible person because I may be doubting my religion or getting nervous from other religions.
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!"

Old 11-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #11

SarangHae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway
hey
I have a question, How long did your religious thoughts last ? because mine started with the bad images of bad things and then went to the thoughts in time I think i've been dealing with these thoughts i would guess for about 2 or 3 years its very hard on me because when a bad bad thought goes away another abad religious thought is replaced it usually works like that i dont knoow as of now but i still struggle pretty bad especially today has been not good for me sometimes i feel like im in trouble when I've not done anything it just a thought that gives me that feeling, I would ratter go to other obsessions then have these religious ones they ruin my life at this point in my life im alot better but the thoughts still try to ruin me thanks for listening God bless u always
Don't know if your still around since this topic is pretty old. Aniwayz, I believe I"m having the same problem. REligious unwanted thought. To response to ur phrase "I would rather go to other obsessions". I would rather have another obsession too. But, OCD is really weird. I've been having HOCD for a while, actually .. I kinda have inappropriate religious thoughts before HOCD, but the htoughts went away quickly, so when I have HOCD, to me, its the worst and no other Obsession can compare to. But then arg, religious OCd started, and I wished i have HOCD instead. But then again, i felt as if God was helping me. Cuz since the day religious OCD started, HOCD seems to be lessened and it saved me a big time. But to me right now, religious OCD is the worst. I felt so guilty even though I know God will forgive. But .. its just too inappropriate!.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:40 PM   #12

Qaiphyx-Idian HB User

Histapenias usually have high religiosity(Is that even a word?) lol, but anyways its a condition in which your histamine levels are lower than they should be. Check it out on the net, just search histapenia, if you dont find anything just let me know and Ill get you the information. This condition makes ya wonder though, humans must have a built in spirituality/religiousness, and maybe its accentuated by this condition. The Bible doesn't say anything about it except that we all have a spiritual need, and that its fed by God's word, so yah, its just a thought that I had once... thought Id share lol..

Qaiphyx

Old 11-17-2004, 07:21 AM   #13
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarangHae
Don't know if your still around since this topic is pretty old. Aniwayz, I believe I"m having the same problem. REligious unwanted thought. To response to ur phrase "I would rather go to other obsessions". I would rather have another obsession too. But, OCD is really weird. I've been having HOCD for a while, actually .. I kinda have inappropriate religious thoughts before HOCD, but the htoughts went away quickly, so when I have HOCD, to me, its the worst and no other Obsession can compare to. But then arg, religious OCd started, and I wished i have HOCD instead. But then again, i felt as if God was helping me. Cuz since the day religious OCD started, HOCD seems to be lessened and it saved me a big time. But to me right now, religious OCD is the worst. I felt so guilty even though I know God will forgive. But .. its just too inappropriate!.
Hi, thanks for responding, I can understand about having one obsession and then wanting it to go to another one to get rid of the one your obsessing on. I think for me the worst one is the religious thoughts..they cause me the most pain and suffering I have felt from OCD. It's been with me for a very long time now and I'm hoping that it will end so I can have some peace with myself and about the Lord Jesus, people tell me to turn this over to God and he will take it from me, don't think its that easy, because one, the thoughts are a illness nothing more, other, is because I have asked God to take it away from me and its clear to me God wants me to work thru this.

It just hurts so bad, because the thoughts just make it hard for me to pray, to do alot of things. I'm developing another symptom right now it kinda just creep up on me in force and I Just hate this, because it really has crippled my life and its not right that I must suffer thru non sense when life is so much beautiful then I feel. I think also if its not OCD ( which is VERY rare ) Its the depression my emotions and everything is just messed up, and I feel I could not function at all without my medication and right now I'm going theu a medicine change. today I have a appointment with my new therapist CBT is what I'll be doing

Lord willing it will work, but overall I know that God is not an angry God and God himself said that when we sin and we repent he forgives us and no longer remembers that sin. He is a extremely loving God and loves us and wants us to be happy and be at peace about him. but OCD wants us to beleive other wise and trick us.. we Just got to trust in God even at our hard times and I have alot of room to talk, but I want to do better and I really want to move on in my life away from these OCD thoughts especially religious ones.

I will say a prayer for you, please try to have a great day. May you know that God loves u, forgives you, and watches over you (( hugs ))

Ur friend

Old 11-22-2004, 01:52 AM   #14
(male)

HGF109 HB User

You have wonderful friends in Christ here, listen to them!!! God loves you and will not hold these thoughts against you, his Son died on the cross so we can be forgiven for all of our sins, don't let any OCD convince you others. You are in my prayers!!!

God's Blessings,
HGF

Old 12-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #15
(male)

blownawish HB User

so I am not the only one who has a fear that I am possessed? My anxiety/ocd/depression has taken a MAJOR TURN FOR THE WORSE in the past few weeks, and now I am left in this scared state constantly for most of the day. It isn't even a panic really, it is like my body wants to panic but can't. When I have had a panic attack the scared feeling goes away, panic is actually welcome.

Sometimes I just feel so hopeless during all of this and scared, I am afraid that I am possessed or damned. I have started medicine (prozac) which has seemed to make it worse but hopefully i'll be fine soon.

Closed Thread