It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 07:09 PM   #1

PanicPrincess HB User
This may sound stupid but

I'm not sure if this is OCD or something else. I have this weird obsession with things (material items), like if I go to the store I'll see some things that I like and I feel like I have to buy all of them. If I go home with 1 or two things and there was still something there I wanted I will think about it constantly and usually end up going back to get it even when I don't have the money for it.
I'm not a huge spender.The items I buy are cheap and I'm not in debt or anything, but this problem makesme not even want to go to the store. It's something more than just I see stuff I like and buy, I think about some things constantly, even if I know I don't need them. I was just wodering if anyone else relates to this kind of problem.
Thanks for reading

Old 07-28-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
(female)

simplyj HB User
Re: This may sound stupid but

Hi,

I can totally relate to your post. I have similar obsessions (and others). My obsessions that have to do with material items change once I've purchased the item(s) I keep thinking about. For example, if I go to buy clothes and I see pants that I like, I buy them in every color because if I only buy 1 color, I obsess about the rest. These days my shopping obsessions focus on furniture. My husband and I purchased a home a year and a half ago. Since then, I occupy my mind with how I want to furnish it. Right now i'm obsessing about an armoire that I really like. Last month it was bed linens, prior to that it was curtains etc...I'm not in debt because I do strictly budget myself and I don't buy anything on credit but I think about the next item I want to buy constantly. I didn't really associate it with OCD until recently when my mother made a comment that I was obsessed with shopping. She was joking but it finally occurred to me that it is my OCD. I just wanted you to know that someone else relates to your post.
Best of luck,

J.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 06:06 PM   #3

In a tree HB User

I can absolutely relate to what you are doing!!! I just about have to buy everything that I really like. There are so many clothes and shoes in my closet that I can't even remember what I have and I get flustered when I try to put together outfits. It is not that I am a shop-aholic, I just get a "brain lock" thinking about certain items and the only thing that makes it stop is to buy the item.
I don't know if you do this, but even though I have a lot of nice things to put on, I never feel like I look good enough. I can spend forever getting dressed and I will still criticize myself in my head all day long.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
(male)

Spuncrzy1605 HB User

I used to have the same problem but have gotten alot better recently. I would see two different things at the store that I though I HAD to have. I would take an hour deciding which one to get, then when I got home, I would end up going back to the store to get the other one too. So I would end up with both in the end. I believe it is partly due to OCD. Hope you can get it solved. Good Luck

Old 08-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Sounds like OCD to me. The "buying" compulsion is a part of the "hoarding" compulsion form of OCD. You see connections among material things and give the things more importance than they deserve. The "horder" cannot throw anythin away because they are emotionally attached to it or obsessed by material items. By the way my family is filled with junk collectors.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #6

PanicPrincess HB User

Hi,
Thanks so much to everyone who posted. At first when there were no replies I started to feel really dumb, like I must be the only one with this problem, but knowing that sonmeone else can relate makes me feel so relieved. I can defintely relate to buying the same thing in multiple colors because you can't decide which one you want, and having a closet full of stuff you had to have but never use. I know it seems like a stupid problem but when you are going through it it can be very frustrating because you find yourself buying things you know you don't need just to avoid obsessing about having to go back for it later. Thanks again, when I checked back today and saw others have had this problem I realized that I'm not alone.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
(female)

claire1808 HB User

Hi,
I used to be exactly like you and luckily I never bought anything that was very expensive or was never in debt, but I just had this need to buy something that had caught my eye while out shopping or it would play on my mind all day and had to go and buy it before the shop closed for the day.

When I was at my worst I ended up shopping in all the local shops and called into each one just before they closed as I found that way it gave me some temporary rest from obsessing over things that I had seen and wanted to bu while the shop was closed overnight but unfortunately it all started over again the next day!

Most of the time I found it easier not to focus on things on the shelves but just headed straight towards the things that I did actually need.

I am taking 20 mg of Seroxat a day and find that this helps with my OCD. I can't imagine ever feeling totally normal like I used to before but find that shopping at a 24 hour shop helps as I can always rationalize and think to myself that I won't buy that item now and if I wanted to I could go later for it, by which time I probably couldn't be bothered anyway or had totally forgot as the day had gone on what thing i was actually thinking of buying!!

Maybe thinking this way might be of help to you

Claire

Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
(female)

12brighteyes123 HB User

i have the same problem. I have to buy things i see and like. i buy cheap things too fortunatly. I usually focus on toiletries and other hygiene products, i don't really know why though. i will obsess over them too, and the urge can be so strong i need to go back that day and buy it. i try to stop myself but end up trying to find reasons to why i need them (in reality i never really "need" them) then when i get home i feel kinda stupid for getting them.

Closed Thread