It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #1

RingBR HB User
Fixated on faces -- Is this OCD?

I have, for as long as I can remember, been fascinated by facial features. I didn't realize how unusual this was until recently. In meetings at work I often lose track of the discussion because I am analyzing faces. I like to look at the shapes of each feature and how they move when the person speaks. I mentally fix features that don't look quite right to me. I wouldn't be concerned except that I am paying attention to faces and not what's being said, and plus I'm guessing it's a bit unnerving to those around me.

I don't think this is BDD because I am not negatively obsessed with my own features, although I do occassionally stare at my own features and mentally fix those, too. But I don't perceive myself as ugly or feel compelled to visit a plastic surgeon.

I try to stop and force myself to look down at my notes, but I can only do that for a short period of time before I'm back looking at facial features again.

Does this sound like an OCD tendency? Anyone experience something like this?

Old 08-04-2004, 06:05 AM   #2

rinkjustice HB User
Wink Re: Fixated on faces -- Is this OCD?

I would hazzard to say it's more of a fetish than an obsession. I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I'll sheepishly admit I have a fascination with womens feet. I always look to see what kind of shoes they're wearing, and if their feet are pretty and well-groomed etc. My ex-wife had beautiful feet and they drove me nuts.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that most people have a bodypart they favor over all else. I remember a woman stating she liked to go out with men with "ropey forearms". She was fascinated with forearms, and guys who didn't have thick, muscular forearms would never have a chance with her. Others are fixated on hair, and I know someone whose totally hung up on hamstrings. Go figure. I'm sure they can get pretty strange (not that I'm making a judgement call).

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. You are fascinated with faces and facial expressions. I think that's kinda cool, and I could definetely see why that would be so compelling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #3

RingBR HB User
Re: Fixated on faces -- Is this OCD?

Thanks, Rinkjustice. I really appreciate the positive spin -- your post made me smile.

Closed Thread