It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
(female)

Mom2ocder HB User
Intrusive Thoughts

My son has OCD. He currently takes 80 mg. of Prozac and 1 mg of Risperdal. (his OCD mostly deals with germs, hand washing, and certain foods)This illness came on suddenly last year. My son has been experiencing intrusive thoughts for the last year too. Some days are better that others. Because of his age, he has been unable to articulate what if feels like to have these. I have heard it explained from his Doctor, but I was hoping that someone with this might be able to explain to me how and what he feels like from personal experience. His seems to be ugly faces that occur when he blinks. This is how he explains it. Has anyone found anything to help curtail or slow down the sudden attack of this?
Thanks so much for your information to help me understand.
Mom2OCDer

Old 07-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
(male)

kingam HB User
Re: Intrusive Thoughts

the only advice i could give is this, stress=ocd symptoms...

when things are going well for me, i feel great... i still obsess a little but it doesnt bother me...

when im stressed, i blow up... obsessing... worrying... anxiety...

so my advice would be, just be there for him... support him...

i was feeling great again until a month ago when my ex-girlfriend and i broke up... she was being difficult... not moving out of the apartment, and low and behold my OCD started kicking my *** all over the place...

the odd thing is, i make this connection, but you still obsess... its just how it is...

im not a dr. so i cant give you any solid advice, but as someone else on this board also suggested, get the book "brain lock"... it will help you understand what he is going through and perhaps you can give him some tips to relax...

hope this helps!

Eric

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

Mom2ocder HB User

Thanks Eric for replying.

I missed the post suggesting that book. I will look for it. My son had been doing so well, and then bam...it just took over. I have told the Doctors that on his "bad" days, he seems very stressed and anxious, like he should have a sedative to calm down. They say that is what the Risperdol is for.

For one thing, I also have notice that on the days that are bad, he has played with the computer (Counter Strike game) for several hours. Has anyone noticed that the computer games cause OCD and Intrusive thoughts to flare? I would really like to hear some of your opinions on that.

I am ever so grateful for anything any of you may post to help me help him.
Mom2ocder

Old 08-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

The book is called "Brain Lock" by Jeffrey Schwartz you can get it on audio also. Since your son compulsively washes, you can read "The Boy Who Couldnt Stop Washing", by Judith Rapoport. You son has thoughts that something terrible will happen. Doing a ritual relieves his anxiety temporarily. Doctors call it Anxiety Disorder. I dont know how old a child should be before taking drugs, because their brain has not been developed fully. Also computer games increase anxiety and stress they dont lessen stress.

Last edited by openseason; 08-01-2004 at 09:10 AM.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

As far as his playing video games goes, I think it depends. If it helps him get his mind off of things, then I think its a good thing. If I'm having one of my more OCD days, playing a video game is a great way to step out of the world for a few minutes and calm my mind. On the other hand, if he is really involved in the game then playing it can stress him out and get his heart rate up.

Perhaps try getting him another computer game, something like Myst (a puzzle game). Playing a game like that wouldn't get him worked up (because you aren't running around dodging bullets and shooting people), and it would be a way for him to take his mind off of things.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #6

Calv1502004 HB User

When my thoughts were at there worst, I played a computer game (Splinter Cell: Pandorra Tomorrow) almost all day everyday... well for a few days anyway, It was one of the only things I could do that helped me to get my mind off the thoughts a bit. It could be that your son is doing this also. It may be worth speaking to him about it. You know about his ocd so he obviously feels comfortable speaking to you so he may inform you!

Calv

Old 08-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #7

InExile 23:1 HB User

Just in response to the Mom on here. I doubt, this (the game) is the cause of his intrusive thoughts. Every ocder that I've heard of does whatever they can to avoid the thoughts, or anything relating to them. So if this was the cause, he probably wouldn't wanna play. He probably is doing whatever he can to take his mind off things. Unless he is doing some ERP (exposure response prevention) therapy that he is not even aware of. Either way good luck with the lad, it can be hell. God bless through the mess.

Closed Thread